*UPDATED* Is This The Canon EOS M5?

riker

5D4
Jan 19, 2015
riker.hu
Woody said:
I'll repeat what I said earlier:

Size doesn't matter, the A6300 camera is too small to hold properly anyway.

Just make sure it's light-weight, ~ 400 g.

Gimme EF-M 35 mm f/1.4 lens and I'm super happy. Otherwise, I'm alright with current lenses.

Sorry man, I strongly disagree. And I'm the person who is using vertical grip for better _horizontal_ holding on every camera for the past 12 years, even on 5Dmk3 now.
A small/compact camera (like the M series so far) is not about comfortable grip with heavy lenses, not about long battery life, etc...it's about being small and compact. That's what it is!
If you have huge hands, or dislike small cameras or whatever, and size is not a problem, then just simply use a DSLR, the SL1, 80D, 5D, 1D, etc...there's a great selection in sizes and u don't even need to invest in EF-M lenses unnecessarily, already got EF and EF-S. And you also don't need to have unrealistic dreams about high aperture EF-M lenses. Everything you need already exists. The M line is a rival (or at least wanna be) to the a6000 series - if that's not your thing, the M isn't either.

What we need is something that still doesn't exist and that is a really compact gear set which is pretty capable.
(Yes, the dream would be having L class EF-M lenses but that's not going to happen we all know. We never received high class EF-S lenses either.)

On a sidenote, I never understood the a7 size/weight hype...yea the body itself is awesome, OK...but the lenses are the same weight (sometimes even heavier than Canon), so as soon as you have a set of 3-4 lenses with your body, flash, tripod, etc, you basically have no advantage at all.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
riker said:
hachu21 said:
riker said:
OMG nooooooooo.
WTF?!

Maybe Canon will go the route they followed with the GxX line : 1 body small (G7X/G9X), 1 body more ergo oriented with a nice EVF (G5X).

Meaning, the M3 could still get an update even if the M5 is released.

May these words be of the prophet within you.

with the new EVF-DC2 maybe there will be a M3 II?

so basically mirroring the three Gx lines?

G9x - M10
G7x - M3
G5x - M5?

Upvote 0
Ebrahim Saadawi said:
AvTvM said:
not sure why people think canon can easily do 4K video.

if Sony, Pany and others can do it, why should know-it-all-best Canon not be able to? Were in late 2016, not 2006.

Sony cannot do it. (in m3 discussion here). The Sony camera that has the same size and weight.

-A6300.

Which offers 4K video. Sony engineers were instructed by the marketing team to simply sensor to read full 4K and compress it to H.264 regardless of how the hardware can handle that amount of power. The hardware, cannot. The hardware fries up. Is that a story of a successful ''Sony can do 4K so why Canon don't?''.

No, Sony cannot. They have at most a beta experimental mode for 4K that cannot be used in any serious shooting, and the bigger problem is that whilst doing so, they made aweful 1080p. So with the belived almighty sony video champ, when yoy actually go out and shoot with it, you can't use 4K for it's un-managed heat generation, and the reliable mode is absolutely horrendous (they d90 video, a6000 HD is MUCH better). So you end up with a camera that can't shoot video!

-Panasonic and other m43s companies have much, smaller sensors. The GH4 video champ has a chip to read and write that's a quarter of a 5D size chip, yet people wonder why can panaonic do it and 5D can't. And even further, the panasonic takes a crop of that small sensor even further for 4K!

-The current examples shown by all camera manufacturers prove one thing: 4K is a major heat problem, proportional to sensor size and camera size/venting,

4K can be ok with a m43s 2.3x croo in a larg DSLR sized body. GH4

4K is NOT ok with a small mirrorless APS-C body. Sony proves that. And Canon publicly stated that the implementation of 4K is resrticted by heat management and we need to work on that (interview with Masaya Maedya almost a year before 5DIV was announced)

4K FF in a large 1DC/1Dx body is ok (ok meaning absolute, zero glith reliability).

Not so ok in small mirrorless cameras or DSLRs: (NIKON has to take an aps-c crop on the D5 (And it's a 1D size body). Sony has to take an APS-C crop also in the a7rii, (but keeps a very primitive line skipped FF 4k mode) and the cameras overheat seriously in 4k.

People ask why Sony 1'' rx1000 can do 4k and Canon g7x can't, don't realize it shoots 5 minutes and cools for 5 to 10 minutes to take another shot). Don't just compare a spec line, USE IT AND SEE IF IT WORKS.

Point is, if you look at all the world's camera manufacturers, 4K heat is a real crippling thing. And if you're a company that doesn't introduce a feature until it's 100% reliable, then you keep waiting and making technological advances to solve the problem, or simply make a side linr of 4K cameras with fans and active cooling.

****A worthy note. The ONLY company, in the ENTIRE world of video production, that could solve 4K problem coming off large chip in a small camera is wait for it,

SAMSUNG!

NX1 takes a semi 8K sensor readout (!!!!!) (30.1 mp) and downscales it to 4K in-camera, in real time, Full APS-C sensor, zero cropm and compress to a demanding codec (h.264), all without giving a hint of failure even under Middle East frying weather. So hat's off to Samung for being the first company to do that. This capability (large sensor downscale to 4k and compress that huge data to HEVC or send out to HDMI at 4:2:2 is why cinema cameras are so large and require running fans and even water cooling, yet Samsung seems to have neated a weatger sealed tiny package that can do it! I think it's most likely due to their advanced technological know-how from phones and other devices?

This was just a piece of info.

Another piece of info, Canon will not make 4K video either crop or 4k unlss it's absolutely reliable and can be used just as is. Until then they'll continue pushing FULL HD cameras.

This is the only feature Canon is always accused of crippling but actually is not. They can't do it.

Do they cripple and withhold other features, ABSOLUTELY. I want Zebras and peaking in a large EVF in my M5 with dual slots and fast buffer to keep up with DPAF ecosystem. But no, Canon wants me to only take a smallish EVF without peaking and a single slow SD card slot. I want a full swivle LCD , but no, Canon wants me to get only small vertical movements. I want C-Log even at HD. But no, you don't get that. OK I want the XLR module of the XC15 to work on my m5 to shoot good HD video with high-end sound like Sony offers with their XLR module, but no, you only get a 3.5mm input with 2008 5d2 preamp noise. Lots of crippling is going on, but 4k isn't one of them.

Let's hope they don't cripple DR (by using the Rebel 24mp Hybrid AF III chip vs the 80D 24mp DPAF chip, which are similar but the later has a huge advantage in dynamic range and a good improvement in AF). Since this would be my landscape camera (with manual glass) and my social portrait camera (with the 50mm 1.8 STM) I really hope they go with the 80D chip so I could push up shadows better (a weakness of all my current Canon cameras, gorgeous mids and highs range but sea of red noise down there). I don't want to be facing that any more.

Something i would really appreciate is a 50mm IS EF-M. Or any stabilized primes for that matter. Because m3 has AWESOME electronic video stabilizstion that works magic, nothing like any electronic system I"ve seen, and when combined with an IS lens it's a mindblowing compensation for camera shake. You can make moving shots that would be impissible to do without enormous gear.
[/quote]

Your logic is simple, Canon Tech lags behind Sony & Pany. How can u expect eosm prime is stablized if L lens not stablized?

And Canon M3 doesnt have any electronic video stabilizstion, highly doubt that u have been cheated. :'(

Upvote 0
pokerz said:
Ebrahim Saadawi said:
AvTvM said:

if Sony, Pany and others can do it, why should know-it-all-best Canon not be able to? Were in late 2016, not 2006.

Sony cannot do it. (in m3 discussion here). The Sony camera that has the same size and weight.

-A6300.

Which offers 4K video. Sony engineers were instructed by the marketing team to simply sensor to read full 4K and compress it to H.264 regardless of how the hardware can handle that amount of power. The hardware, cannot. The hardware fries up. Is that a story of a successful ''Sony can do 4K so why Canon don't?''.

No, Sony cannot. They have at most a beta experimental mode for 4K that cannot be used in any serious shooting, and the bigger problem is that whilst doing so, they made aweful 1080p. So with the belived almighty sony video champ, when yoy actually go out and shoot with it, you can't use 4K for it's un-managed heat generation, and the reliable mode is absolutely horrendous (they d90 video, a6000 HD is MUCH better). So you end up with a camera that can't shoot video!

-Panasonic and other m43s companies have much, smaller sensors. The GH4 video champ has a chip to read and write that's a quarter of a 5D size chip, yet people wonder why can panaonic do it and 5D can't. And even further, the panasonic takes a crop of that small sensor even further for 4K!

-The current examples shown by all camera manufacturers prove one thing: 4K is a major heat problem, proportional to sensor size and camera size/venting,

4K is NOT ok with a small mirrorless APS-C body. Sony proves that. And Canon publicly stated that the implementation of 4K is resrticted by heat management and we need to work on that (interview with Masaya Maedya almost a year before 5DIV was announced)

4K FF in a large 1DC/1Dx body is ok (ok meaning absolute, zero glith reliability).

Not so ok in small mirrorless cameras or DSLRs: (NIKON has to take an aps-c crop on the D5 (And it's a 1D size body). Sony has to take an APS-C crop also in the a7rii, (but keeps a very primitive line skipped FF 4k mode) and the cameras overheat seriously in 4k.

People ask why Sony 1'' rx1000 can do 4k and Canon g7x can't, don't realize it shoots 5 minutes and cools for 5 to 10 minutes to take another shot). Don't just compare a spec line, USE IT AND SEE IF IT WORKS.

Point is, if you look at all the world's camera manufacturers, 4K heat is a real crippling thing. And if you're a company that doesn't introduce a feature until it's 100% reliable, then you keep waiting and making technological advances to solve the problem, or simply make a side linr of 4K cameras with fans and active cooling.

****A worthy note. The ONLY company, in the ENTIRE world of video production, that could solve 4K problem coming off large chip in a small camera is wait for it,

SAMSUNG!

NX1 takes a semi 8K sensor readout (!!!!!) (30.1 mp) and downscales it to 4K in-camera, in real time, Full APS-C sensor, zero cropm and compress to a demanding codec (h.264), all without giving a hint of failure even under Middle East frying weather. So hat's off to Samung for being the first company to do that. This capability (large sensor downscale to 4k and compress that huge data to HEVC or send out to HDMI at 4:2:2 is why cinema cameras are so large and require running fans and even water cooling, yet Samsung seems to have neated a weatger sealed tiny package that can do it! I think it's most likely due to their advanced technological know-how from phones and other devices?

Another piece of info, Canon will not make 4K video either crop or 4k unlss it's absolutely reliable and can be used just as is. Until then they'll continue pushing FULL HD cameras.

This is the only feature Canon is always accused of crippling but actually is not. They can't do it.

Do they cripple and withhold other features, ABSOLUTELY. I want Zebras and peaking in a large EVF in my M5 with dual slots and fast buffer to keep up with DPAF ecosystem. But no, Canon wants me to only take a smallish EVF without peaking and a single slow SD card slot. I want a full swivle LCD , but no, Canon wants me to get only small vertical movements. I want C-Log even at HD. But no, you don't get that. OK I want the XLR module of the XC15 to work on my m5 to shoot good HD video with high-end sound like Sony offers with their XLR module, but no, you only get a 3.5mm input with 2008 5d2 preamp noise. Lots of crippling is going on, but 4k isn't one of them.

Let's hope they don't cripple DR (by using the Rebel 24mp Hybrid AF III chip vs the 80D 24mp DPAF chip, which are similar but the later has a huge advantage in dynamic range and a good improvement in AF). Since this would be my landscape camera (with manual glass) and my social portrait camera (with the 50mm 1.8 STM) I really hope they go with the 80D chip so I could push up shadows better (a weakness of all my current Canon cameras, gorgeous mids and highs range but sea of red noise down there). I don't want to be facing that any more.

Something i would really appreciate is a 50mm IS EF-M. Or any stabilized primes for that matter. Because m3 has AWESOME electronic video stabilizstion that works magic, nothing like any electronic system I"ve seen, and when combined with an IS lens it's a mindblowing compensation for camera shake. You can make moving shots that would be impissible to do without enormous gear.

Your logic is simple, Canon Tech lags behind Sony & Pany. How can u expect eosm prime is stablized if L lens not stablized?

And Canon M3 doesnt have any electronic video stabilizstion, highly doubt that u have been cheated. :'(
[/quote]

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
warrior said:
Im strongly choosing between eos m5 and lumix g8 / g80. I need it mostly for video.

G8 looks decent from the rumours.
The smaller sensor is not so much an issue for video - not when you get in-body dual IS, full tilt and swivel screen & 4K.
So you get a wide choice of lenses all of which can be stabilized. And likely decent video capabilities (not just 4K).

However, you are going to lose quite a bit for stills if you compare the performance of the 16mp 43rds sensor against the 80D's 24mp APS-C sensor (and the M5 may even improve on that) https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/image-comparison?attr18=daylight&attr13_0=panasonic_dmcgx85&attr13_1=canon_eosm3&attr13_2=panasonic_dmcgx8&attr13_3=canon_eos80d&attr15_0=raw&attr15_1=raw&attr15_2=raw&attr15_3=raw&attr16_0=1600&attr16_1=1600&attr16_2=1600&attr16_3=1600&attr171_0=on&attr171_2=off&normalization=full&widget=1&x=-0.05483720930232557&y=0.3366920355114864

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
pokerz said:
Ebrahim Saadawi said:
AvTvM said:

-A6300.

SAMSUNG!

[/quote]

Overheating has nothing to do with sensor size, the heat comes from the processor. Samsung has the best processor, followed by Panasonic. Sony are a bit behind those two (they admit it, and it is the reason why their cameras overheat under some conditions). Nikon are a distant fourth and Canon even further behind them.

Canon can't produce a camera that can do 4K using hardware compression without a fan because of that. The processor simply gets to hot. And even with the inefficient software encoding they use instead, they still have to do a crop otherwise their processors can't handle the data throughput.

You will not see (IMO) a Canon DSLR or MILC doing 4K with H.264 encoding until at least the next generation of processors is released, which would be Digic 8. Digic 7 likely has a 4K encoder on the chip (since it is a version of the DV5), but it just gets too hot to use without a fan, so is impractical for a hybrid. This is probably the reason the Digic 7 was not used in the 1DXII and 5D4. So, late 2017 or early 2018 at the earliest I think.

Because of the frequency of camera updates in the EOS world, the first Canon camera that can truly do proper 4K unimpeded by compromises will be the 7D3, 6D2 or 90D (possibly even a Rebel)

BUT, by the time Canon gets there, Sony/Panasonic will also have moved to next generation processors, and they will be even further down the road.

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
Going back to lenses... I was looking at the Fuji and Sony E ranges this morning and was at first dazzled by the fact that Fuji has just one lens under the price range of the Canon EF-M range... That's clearly where they have an Achilles heel in terms of consumer adopters, compared to Canon. Sony E is rather interesting that there is a lens for lens match in the EF-M range, notable exceptions being the 16mm pancake and a native 50mm, which the EF 50mm f1.8 STM probably fills to a degree...

So where now for Canon, all I see after the 18-1xx is a move upmarket in further lenses, but to enable that, Canon needs a higher end model, i.e. A range, so we currently have the M10 & M3, the jump to M5 could signal and new naming strategy from Canon, perhaps aligned with the EOS range... So M10, becomes M20, M30 etc... The M5 becomes M5 mkii, mkiii etc... Could we see the M20 being what would have been the M4, with a model slipping underneath, M100 ?

Sony E range is perhaps more closely aligned than that of the wildchild Fuji, so what next in terms of lenses... I anticipate a small selection of faster primes and a more select standard zoom, pushing the lens price to 150-200% of the current ranges, to match in with the growing aspirations of the M5, start pushing into Fuji price and performance territory, with maybe a standard f2.8 zoom and some middling f2.0 primes... Time is running out though, the smart phone mob are swarming at the bottom end of the market, entry level will be dead in a few years, middle to high is where Canon has to go with the EF-M range.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Tugela said:
Overheating has nothing to do with sensor size, the heat comes from the processor.

No. The sensor itself heats up - it's made of electronics components too trough which electricity flows. The more the "pixels", the more elements that will generate heath. Then there are other elements in a camera that can generate heat. Of course if you have to read and process data continuously, all them will generate heat which needs to be dissipated.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
LDS said:
Tugela said:
Overheating has nothing to do with sensor size, the heat comes from the processor.

No. The sensor itself heats up - it's made of electronics components too trough which electricity flows. The more the "pixels", the more elements that will generate heath. ...
And in addition on-chip A/D conversion (if implemented as of new sensor tech) will increase the number of semiconductors on the chip leading to even more heat losses.
Of course it can be assumed that most of he heat losses come from the processor but while this one might cope a lot of heat already little increase of sensor temperature could cause negative effects on the readout quality, e.g. additional read noise.

So I am quite inclined to follow pokerz initial argumentation, that others have problems with 4K while Canon decided to not implement it in consumer products as long as it is not working properly, because here it is required to work without any trouble.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Haydn1971 said:
... I anticipate a small selection of faster primes and a more select standard zoom, pushing the lens price to 150-200% of the current ranges, to match in with the growing aspirations of the M5, start pushing into Fuji price and performance territory, ...

lol! Fuji lenses are just bigger, more retro ... aperture ring ::) and most notably *way more expensive*.

No Fuji X-lens can optically touch the dirt-cheap EF-M 22/2.0, the EF-M Macro 28 or the very best crop UWA-zoom currently on the market: EF-M 11-22. And this comes from me, I am not exactly known as a Canon Fanboy. ;D

All Canon needs to do, is launch 2 more dirt-cheap, optically excellent pancakes eg 35/2.0 and 15/4.0 and of course my much desired EF-M 85/2.4 IS STM short tele. More is not needed.

Upvote 0

sigh

CR Pro
Jun 30, 2015
ahsanford said:
lw said:
Apparently, these are the kits - http://nokiS___a-camera.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/eos-m5.html

EOS M5 body
EOS M5 15-45mm kit
EOS M5 18-150mm kit

Hey, CR guy, why is Nokish ita getting the Canon Watch treatment? I thought they were reputable...

- A

I suspect those four letters may have been caught by the profanity filter.

Upvote 0
pokerz said:
SAMSUNG!

The Samsung NX1 was such a promising camera. I was waiting for lens availability or a Metabones style adapter to work with that system, but nothing really came through. Total shame because what they were doing was pretty amazing at those price points.

Upvote 0