updating to Maverick 10.9?

Well, my patience got the better of me and I installed the 10.9.2 beta today. It's on the 7th iteration so I thought it must be as near as damn it to finished.

So far I'm seeing a nice improvement. It just seems snappier. Folders populate near instantaneously, and Mail seems to work now.

I'll update you on anything else I see.

I'm not interested in any new features, I just want it to work properly.

Upvote 0
Hi Harry et. al.

Good they have resolved the finder issue with 10.9.2. beta.

I have encountered another problem with 10.9.1. It has to do with loss of WiFi on wake-up from sleeping when connected to 2.4 GHz WiFi. The work around has been to turn off the bluetooth radio prior to sleep. Do you have a way to check if this issue has been resolved.

Cheers,

Don Barar

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Have they gotten over the external HD wipe clean issue yet? I haven't even considered Maverick because of that.

Not sure if this is the issue you're referring to, but back in November of 2013 Western Digital acknowledged a "HD wipe clean issue" was their fault (and not Apple's) and has since been rectified with a software update to "WD SmartWare."

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/26/western-digital-releases-new-hard-drive-software-after-mavericks-data-loss/

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
JustMeOregon said:
privatebydesign said:
Have they gotten over the external HD wipe clean issue yet? I haven't even considered Maverick because of that.

Not sure if this is the issue you're referring to, but back in November of 2013 Western Digital acknowledged a "HD wipe clean issue" was their fault (and not Apple's) and has since been rectified with a software update to "WD SmartWare."

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/26/western-digital-releases-new-hard-drive-software-after-mavericks-data-loss/

Thanks, I think it probably was just WD software, but you know how these things are talked up on launch :)

At one stage it felt like if you sneezed with Maverick on a computer within 5 miles of your data it would be fried, don't you just love the Internet?

Upvote 0
Two things. One is off topic. The time in the upper right hand corner is ofd by 7 -8 minutes every week. When I open it corrects itself.

Issues with DPP. My 24-70II for DLO would not not update. It was like this for a while and I just thought Canon had not released it yet. I decided to reinstall DPP.

Did a full uninstall and used the disk that came with my 5D3. Install was great but every time I tried to update to 3.13.51 DPP crashed when I tried to open an image. Canon USA detects your OSX and auto selected Mavericks.

I tried several more times with no success. I then tried the Canon Canada website and it does not detect your OXS version, it just has a drop down box and you have to select it. It offered 10.9 (and lower) which is Mavericks, they just don't include the name. I tried that about 3 times and it failed as well. I went back to the Canon USA site and again it detected Mavericks however since that just continued to fail I clicked on the drop down box and on a whim tried 10.8 and I was able to update to 3.13.51 without crashing. Not sure why that worked, but it did, so I don't really care.

I was also to successfully update all my lenses as well. What a nightmare. I would be have been easier if I didn't have to restart the commuter each time. What an archaic system. Probably programmed by the dinosaurs :p

Upvote 0
Hi All,

For those that would like to know, 10.9.2 was released today. The release did resolve the issues with a slow finder. Hooray. However, it did not resolve the Bluetooth/WiFi bug. This is bug is as follows. With Bluetooth enabled and connected to a 2.4 GHz WiFi source once the computer goes to sleep it does not find 2.4 GHz sources on wake-up.

Don Barar

Upvote 0
Jeff said:
Now that Maverick has been out for a while I am wondering if all (most of) the bugs have been worked out? Specifically is anyone having trouble running the EOS capture software/DPP/ or CS6 Photoshop/Premier?

Thanks for any insights,

Jeff

I'm new to Mac and started out with Mavericks as my first Apple OS. It's a i7 quad core Mini with SSD and 8GB. Everything works blazing fast - LR5, PS and a full Logic Pro X install. Opens in seconds and is a breeze to work with.

Only issues I had are unrelated to photo or music processing. Haven't figured out what to use instead of Nero to create CD images. And I'm having some VPN issues with my workplace which are supposed to be Mavericks related.

Today Apple released 10.9.2 by the way to fix a few security concerns.

Upvote 0
7enderbender said:
Only issues I had are unrelated to photo or music processing. Haven't figured out what to use instead of Nero to create CD images. And I'm having some VPN issues with my workplace which are supposed to be Mavericks related.

Today Apple released 10.9.2 by the way to fix a few security concerns.

Toast is a great option for CDs, but if you're just ripping ISO images, there are ways to do it from Disk Utility. MacUpdate tends to have lots of cheap options.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
SithTracy said:
No issues here on a early 2011 15" MBP w/ 16 GB RAM. HDD replaced with a Seagate 750GB hybrid SHHD. I do not use the Mail app, but have heard that is quite buggy still.

I've got a late 2011 model MBP...I'm holding off for a bit on Mavericks. I've heard it also has problems playing well with Davinci Resolve 10.

Upvote 0
Jeff said:
Now that Maverick has been out for a while I am wondering if all (most of) the bugs have been worked out? Specifically is anyone having trouble running the EOS capture software/DPP/ or CS6 Photoshop/Premier?

Thanks for any insights,

Jeff

Don't do it if you have a non-retina MAC or anything but the latest MAC Pro otherwise you won't be able to use the hacks to drive UHD monitors! I actually got a MAC MINI to drive 3840x2160 perfectly! But it only works pre-Mavericks!

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
LetTheRightLensIn said:
Jeff said:

Thanks for any insights,

Jeff

Don't do it if you have a non-retina MAC or anything but the latest MAC Pro otherwise you won't be able to use the hacks to drive UHD monitors! I actually got a MAC MINI to drive 3840x2160 perfectly! But it only works pre-Mavericks!

What hacks did you have to do?

I have a macbook pro, late 2011 model, non-retina. I was able to drive a Dell U2711 at 2550x1440 merely by getting a thunderbolt to display port adapter to connect them. Seems to work just fine with no "hacks" of any type.

Can you explain what you had to do to get yours to work?

Thanks,

C

Upvote 0