Upgrade from 7d

Jan 29, 2011
Can anyone guide on how Crop lens work on mirrorless..like 10-18 on EOSR...the fundamental .. does it give 10-18 or 16 to 29 {1.6x}

The camera automatically switches to ‘crop’ mode, that is you only use an APS-C sized area of the Full Frame sensor. The lens gives the field of view it would on a crop camera, the disadvantage is it uses less than half of the sensor.

The equivalent fov is as it is on a crop camera, 16-29mm, but the focal length stays the same, 10-18mm.

As I see it there is little point in buying a ff sensor to then use crop sensor lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The camera automatically switches to ‘crop’ mode, that is you only use an APS-C sized area of the Full Frame sensor. The lens gives the field of view it would on a crop camera, the disadvantage is it uses less than half of the sensor.

The equivalent fov is as it is on a crop camera, 16-29mm, but the focal length stays the same, 10-18mm.

As I see it there is little point in buying a ff sensor to then use crop sensor lenses.

I agree it's fundamentally pointless. I certainly wouldn't want to buy a crop lens for this camera.

However, if one owns nothing but crop lenses but plans, over time, as finances permit to swap them out for full frame, it's good to know this camera will actually let you do that, unlike the EF FF bodies.

[Edit to add: And given the price of an R5 I can certainly sympathize with anyone who's not in a position to buy lenses at the same time!]

(I personally stopped buying crop lenses a while back when I decided I'd make the transition someday (other than for my EF-M cameras, that is) but I'm glad I *can* use those lenses on the new camera if I need to.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2019
I agree it's fundamentally pointless. I certainly wouldn't want to buy a crop lens for this camera.

However, if one owns nothing but crop lenses but plans, over time, as finances permit to swap them out for full frame, it's good to know this camera will actually let you do that, unlike the EF FF bodies.

[Edit to add: And given the price of an R5 I can certainly sympathize with anyone who's not in a position to buy lenses at the same time!]

(I personally stopped buying crop lenses a while back when I decided I'd make the transition someday (other than for my EF-M cameras, that is) but I'm glad I *can* use those lenses on the new camera if I need to.)
Thanks to all of you for guidance... yes i know 10-18 cant be used in FF and has bad limitation in Mirrorless... but my primary target is to replace camera and get a 70-200 and then after few mths replace the wide angle..as my 2470 will work as real FF..it will give me same coverage as of a 10 in Crop.. later i will go for may be a used 16-35or sigma 12-24

..i will look at 5dmkiv/ ebay 5ds /eos r and get back on what i got

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
So do you guys think 5dmkiv or EoS R for portrait/landscape .. i dont have budget for R5 and would prefer to stay away from anything used (1D)
The 5D4 is the best allrounder DSLR Canon has to offer right now.
The recommended 5DS(R) is the best landscape body and the best portrait body in controlled light as it offers the highest number of MP.
The R5 is yet to prove to surpass both of them but is seems it will. But for a huge amount.

It's up to you and your budget to decide which way to go.

My best suggestion for your specialities, lenses and budget are the 5DSr and the EF 16-35 f4 IS. You can get both for Less than the price of a 5D IV.
This recommendation is really good, if you put landscape above portrait (in available light).

Can anyone guide on how Crop lens work on mirrorless..like 10-18 on EOSR...the fundamental .. does it give 10-18 or 16 to 29 {1.6x}
The EF-S lenses have a smaller image circle than the EF lenses.
That means that the image circle is smaller than the FF sensor. This would cause heavy vigneting in the FF sensor edges, down to almost black.
So to use an EF-S lens with the R means that the camera crops down to a size fitting to the EF-S image circle. You'll use only the APS-C area of the FF sensor.
Therefore you'll get an image angle according to the crop factor and less than the full number of MP. So the 10-18 will appear like a 16-29 on FF with lower resolution/MP than the R could offer on FF.
This leads to the point from privatebydesign that an EF 16-35 f4 IS would be a logical replacement/upgrade from your 10-18.
Did I explain it well enough?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2019
The 5D4 is the best allrounder DSLR Canon has to offer right now.
The recommended 5DS(R) is the best landscape body and the best portrait body in controlled light as it offers the highest number of MP.
The R5 is yet to prove to surpass both of them but is seems it will. But for a huge amount.

It's up to you and your budget to decide which way to go.

This recommendation is really good, if you put landscape above portrait (in available light).

The EF-S lenses have a smaller image circle than the EF lenses.
That means that the image circle is smaller than the FF sensor. This would cause heavy vigneting in the FF sensor edges, down to almost black.
So to use an EF-S lens with the R means that the camera crops down to a size fitting to the EF-S image circle. You'll use only the APS-C area of the FF sensor.
Therefore you'll get an image angle according to the crop factor and less than the full number of MP. So the 10-18 will appear like a 16-29 on FF with lower resolution/MP than the R could offer on FF.
This leads to the point from privatebydesign that an EF 16-35 f4 IS would be a logical replacement/upgrade from your 10-18.
Did I explain it well enough?
Yes thanks a lot

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
It crops the image so it looks the same as on your 7D, or 16-29mm apparent focal length. You can manually set the camera to crop images to 1.6 crop sensor size like your 7D, that would make them look the same, but I would never do it for a FF lens.

Upvote 0