Upgrading from Rebel XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Be sure to check the shutter actuations, unfortunately some sellers just throw out a guess. Where are you getting it from that cost $40 to ship? Or is it being overnighted.

It should be a good camera for a long time to come.

The 15-85mm EF-s is about $500 right now at canon direct (refurb). Its a nice lens. I sold my 7D but kept my lens for now, I may decide to get another crop camera for a 2nd body depending on what appears.

The shutter count was taken from a screenshot, could be faked I know, but I have to put some trust in the seller.

The shipping was for "Expedited Shipping (Canada Post Expedited Parcel)" (about 3 days). It was the only option available from the seller, but because it's shipping within Canada I avoid any possible border duty/taxes. This was my main reason for not trying to buy one from the USA or overseas.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
Kudos. I guess I was late to the party, but you will be happy with the 7D... It's an great camera.

Thanks. I definitely want to look at upgrading the lens kit after this. I did look at the 60D, but in the end I thought the build quality (ruggedness) of the 7D was better for my needs. I was hoping to see a 70D announcement that might be in my price range, but in the end I decided to keep my budget under $1000 and I doubt a new 70D with tax would be under $1000 when ever it is announced.

That said my long term goal is to get to a 5d Mark III, so I think the 7D will be a good filler for a few years while the prices of a used 5D Mark III keep dropping.

Upvote 0
fosterscape said:
So what do you think? Will it fit my needs, will it be a good upgrade for the cost? or should I hold off and see what happens to the price of the 7D, if a 7DMII is announced in the next couple of months?

Thanks, here's a small sample of some of the photos I take if that helps.

I think that seems like a reasonable choice. Your emphasis on glass is the right one. If you go full frame, you start several hundred dollars behind (even if you get a used 5DII) and you also need to find yourself a kit lens. So then you start close to $1000- behind, just to replicate your existing setup.

You could possibly save a little by going to an XXD series body, but then you'd lose the AF performance and possibly AFMA (depending on which body you use). Though for your current glass selection that's really a moot point. But overall I'd say don't go higher than the 7D for a body given your budget.

There are a bunch of obvious upgrade possibilities that would probably get you further than upgrading the body (from a 7D that is) -- upgrade the kit lens (either a 15-85mm IS, or a third party f / 2 . 8 zoom ) add a faster lens (e.g. 50mm f/1.4 or an 85mm) for portraits, and a decent tripod for the landscape photos, upgrade the telephoto lens (the possibilities here are endless ... ). Full frame wouldn't hurt but glass will help more (and hold its value much better than a body)

Upvote 0
good choice! I made the same jump (from 350D to 7D) a year ago, and it's a massive leap forward in tech. the 7D (as many others have mentioned) is a brilliant camera - it was well ahead of its time when it was released. the other part of your choice that is smart: you have made the decision to invest in good glass. if there is one thing i have learned in the past few years - good glass is worth investing in and will almost certainly make a bigger difference in your results than purchasing the latest camera body.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
fosterscape said:
jdramirez said:
Kudos. I guess I was late to the party, but you will be happy with the 7D... It's an great camera.

Thanks. I definitely want to look at upgrading the lens kit after this. I did look at the 60D, but in the end I thought the build quality (ruggedness) of the 7D was better for my needs. I was hoping to see a 70D announcement that might be in my price range, but in the end I decided to keep my budget under $1000 and I doubt a new 70D with tax would be under $1000 when ever it is announced.

That said my long term goal is to get to a 5d Mark III, so I think the 7D will be a good filler for a few years while the prices of a used 5D Mark III keep dropping.

For what it is worth, I think $2500 is the butter zone for the mkiii and where it will stay for the life of the camera... until the mk iv comes outs. That's a bit of a guess, but if you look at the 5d mkii, the price before the mkiii was on its way was $2200 and I think a $300 premium for a really substantial upgrade seems more than fair. Actually, $2600 would be fair... but I only want to pay $2500.

There's a deal right now, but there's an itch that I think I can do better and get the price down just a bit more... I hope I'm right, otherwise I just let a good deal pass by.

Also, I wasn't discussing it earlier, but if your XT still works, you can probably sell that for maybe $200 used... it really depends on how many people want to jump into the SLR pool but hope their skills make up for the extreme lack of technology.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.