Using the Built-in Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not gone yet.

Soooooo.
I got a 430EX2 for a good price from CL knowing that the wide panel was broken. I wasn't too concerned about this and unfortunately I wasn't very familiar with the operation of this flash before I bought it. So I played around with it a bit before buying it and everything seemed to check out; however when I brought it home I read the manual and realized a problem.

So as you know, when you use the wide panel, the flash zoom is set to 14mm. So yeah... apparently this flash is constantly thinking that the wide panel is out and there is no way to change the flash zoom. Auto 14mm cannot be overrided and manual zoom is disabled.

So... I guess this might be a problem... unless
a) I can fix it. I see that there are wide panel repair kits on ebay for around $20. I know my way around a screw driver and wouldn't be against doing this unless...
b) nbd, 14mm flash zoom is all I need and will suffice most needs.

Now I obviously know that this is going to hurt my reach, either requiring me to bump up ISO or move close/use wider lenses. Or am I never going to use head on flash anyway, so it doesn't matter.

So many questions but I don't know much about this stuff so please share your wealth of knowledge. Should I try to get my money back (to be fair, the seller was honest about the condition, I should have known about the limitation or checked for it). Thanks!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
slinky said:
So as you know, when you use the wide panel, the flash zoom is set to 14mm. So yeah... apparently this flash is constantly thinking that the wide panel is out and there is no way to change the flash zoom. Auto 14mm cannot be overrided and manual zoom is disabled.

So... I guess this might be a problem... unless
a) I can fix it. I see that there are wide panel repair kits on ebay for around $20. I know my way around a screw driver and wouldn't be against doing this unless...
b) nbd, 14mm flash zoom is all I need and will suffice most needs.

Bummer. B is not the case - the zoom definitely helps with distant subjects, and with bouncing flash.

slinky said:
Also wondering if it is possible to just trick the flash into thinking that the panel is down and disabling it by opening it up and what not.

No idea, but you'd need to trick the flash into thinking the panel is retracted into the slot.

Upvote 0
Hmm. Some suggestions that putting a card down there may help trick the flash
http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonspeedlite/discuss/72157624254978003/
But I'm skeptical because I have the broken wide panel and sticking it back into the slot doesn't help.

Thanks. I'll keep trying. Pretty silly that you can't use manual zoom on the flash with the wide panel out.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone again. After a bit of struggling, I opened the flash and was able to easily figure out how to trick the flash into thinking that the wide panel was down. Looks like I'll be able to start playing with this bad boy soon enough.

I'll leave this thread if people want to continue discussing the possible uses of the pop-up flash, but expect me back with a "using a camera mounted flash" thread soon enough ;)

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
As bycostello, the pop-up flash is already pretty weak, and adding a diffuser will cost you a stop or more. A pop-up flash diffuser will certainly soften the light, but for it to be effective you'll have to practically shove your camera into the subject's face. About the only place a pop-up flash is useful is for fill light outdoors.

... or with macro shots! Until your lens shadows the in-built flash, it's great for additional fill, and then a diffuser will make sense for reducing the shadow. I'm mostly taking my macro shots with 2 flashes: in-built for fill and external (430ex2 via infrared remote) for directional or bounce.

Even if the effect of the in-built flash is very tiny when the ambient light is brighter, it still can make a difference in postprocessing, so I wouldn't disregard it as many people with full frame bodies (and no pop-up flash) do.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.