Value of 20-35 lens

I'm selling a couple lenses - and got an offer for a Canon 20-35 1: 3.5-4.5 ... Will tell you later the offer so as not to influence this Q?

This lens should be a 'classic' but I never know if that applies to lenses just because it's old, and not made anymore. Anyway, does anyone have a clue what this is worth - it's had very little use, looks brand new, still have the box.

I was debating selling the 16-35 instead because I don't shoot a lot of scenic - and the 20-35 might do all I need for it - but then I look at the images out of the 16-35 and it's so good - hard to part with it.

Kinda puzzled here which way to go ...

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
MrFotoFool said:
If the lens you currently own is the 16-35 f4L IS, do NOT part with it. I just picked one up and it is fantastic - amazingly sharp. The 20-35 would be a huge let down quality wise. Plus I find 16mm wide angle much more useful than I ever thought I would.

I hope to buy that lens some day. But I decided that first I needed a decent telephoto, so I’ve ordered the 100-400. Maybe I can afford the 16-35 later in the year for my birthday.

Upvote 0
MrFotoFool said:
If the lens you currently own is the 16-35 f4L IS, do NOT part with it. I just picked one up and it is fantastic - amazingly sharp. The 20-35 would be a huge let down quality wise. Plus I find 16mm wide angle much more useful than I ever thought I would.

Yes, I own both - I was asking more to see the value, as it's an old "Classic" lens, and out of production - so was just trying to get a handle on price -- in case it was higher value ... I'm just selling a few lenses ... overlaps, sorta.

I'll keep the 16-35, and buy a 24-70 IS to fit between that lens and the 70-200 ... I have a 24-105 II which I don't like too much, so will replace it with the 24-70 f4 IS, which everyone seems to think is very good quality lens.

I have never shot with it, would anyone that owns the 24-70 IS f4 comment ... got great reviews.

Upvote 0
monkey44 said:
I was debating selling the 16-35 instead because I don't shoot a lot of scenic - and the 20-35 might do all I need for it - but then I look at the images out of the 16-35 and it's so good - hard to part with it.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-20-35mm-f-3.5-4.5-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

it seems that an used 17-40L would be what you are looking at

Upvote 0