Venus Optics officially announces the Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe lens, a weird but revolutionary lens for macro videography

Canon Rumors Guy

EOS 1D MK II
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Tubular barrel, Waterproof & built-in LED design unlock shooting possibilities.
Anhui China, Aug 1, 2018 – Venus Optics, the camera lenses manufacturer who had previously launched a number of unique Laowa camera lenses, are proud to announce the Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe Lens, a unique & revolutionary macro tool.
Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe is the world’s first consumer-grade probe lens that was developed to provide photographers and videographers with a new perspective and remove their shooting barriers while using conventional macro lenses. Below are the key features of this lens.

Bug-Eye Perspective
The new Laowa 24mm Probe lens can create a Bug-Eye perspective that cannot be done by conventional macro lens. Not only can it focus really close (2cm @ 2:1) and show a great amount of detail and texture, but also achieve a compelling wide angle ‘Bug Eye’ view (84.1°). More background details can then be included into the shots to create a very...
Continue reading...

Last edited:

melgross

EOS 7D MK II
Nov 2, 2016
I’m liking this lens. At that price it doesn’t seem to be a cheap junk product, even though it’s cheap for what it does. I do a lot of macro, and even designed and built my own macro unit, so I just might pick this up.

bod

EOS T7i
Dec 5, 2013
Yes new site operation is good.

As regards the OP this looks like a fun piece of kit if you engage in insect photography as I do and the performance & price is right. One observation though is that when poking it through foliage as suggested in the image that whilst the lens tip may get close an on camera or hand held flash will likely be blocked by the foliage so ISO will be really high.

miketcool

EOS 80D
Jun 29, 2017
We use probe lenses all the time for cinematography work. Glad to see there is at least a consumer version.

slclick

PINHOLE
Dec 17, 2013
I'm interested. I do think someone might mistake it for a barrel...an idiot, yes, but it will happen. People think they see firearms everywhere they are not these days.

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
I was tempted to order one on kick starter, but decided to wait and see how buyers review them. I will be unlikely to use such a lens seriously, but the idea of something to use for macro video is interesting. I'm sure it is not easy to use, a camera with IBIS might be a help?

Jim Saunders

EOS 6D MK II
Sep 9, 2012
hhaphoto.com
I'm interested. I do think someone might mistake it for a barrel...an idiot, yes, but it will happen. People think they see firearms everywhere they are not these days.
As much as I want one, I now want a roll of brightly coloured adhesive tape to go along with it.

Jim

drjlo

EOS 6D MK II
Mar 27, 2012
I would have to try hand-holding this lens myself to be convinced of its real-life usefulness. Too bad my Canons do not offer IBIS, which I'm sure would help.
Also, the small LED array at end, while seemingly a good idea, appears to be creating harsh, blown-out videos in their sample videos in burrows. I wonder if the LED strength can be adjusted and how useful it actually would be in Macro photo shooting.

Zeidora

EOS 7D MK II
Feb 15, 2015
If this lens goes to infinity, and largest f-stop is 14, then at 2:1 it is f/42, with f/40 at 2:1 gives effective f/120! This may work for an instagram post, but don't even think about printing at 8x10". Diffraction soup galore! Fun toy anyway, but not tempted.

Reactions: npdien

DJL329

EOS 7D MK II
Aug 26, 2010
I would have to try hand-holding this lens myself to be convinced of its real-life usefulness. Too bad my Canons do not offer IBIS, which I'm sure would help.
Also, the small LED array at end, while seemingly a good idea, appears to be creating harsh, blown-out videos in their sample videos in burrows. I wonder if the LED strength can be adjusted and how useful it actually would be in Macro photo shooting.
In Kai's review, he shows the cable that attaches to the lens to connect to a USB power source. In addition to the cable's On/Off switch, it has Up and Down switches to increase/decrease the lights' intensity.