Venus Optics officially announces the Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe lens, a weird but revolutionary lens for macro videography

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Tubular barrel, Waterproof & built-in LED design unlock shooting possibilities.
Anhui China, Aug 1, 2018 – Venus Optics, the camera lenses manufacturer who had previously launched a number of unique Laowa camera lenses, are proud to announce the Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe Lens, a unique & revolutionary macro tool.
Laowa 24mm f/14 2x Macro Probe is the world’s first consumer-grade probe lens that was developed to provide photographers and videographers with a new perspective and remove their shooting barriers while using conventional macro lenses. Below are the key features of this lens.

Bug-Eye Perspective
The new Laowa 24mm Probe lens can create a Bug-Eye perspective that cannot be done by conventional macro lens. Not only can it focus really close (2cm @ 2:1) and show a great amount of detail and texture, but also achieve a compelling wide angle ‘Bug Eye’ view (84.1°). More background details can then be included into the shots to create a very...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

bod

CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
Yes new site operation is good.

As regards the OP this looks like a fun piece of kit if you engage in insect photography as I do and the performance & price is right. One observation though is that when poking it through foliage as suggested in the image that whilst the lens tip may get close an on camera or hand held flash will likely be blocked by the foliage so ISO will be really high.

Upvote 0
Mar 27, 2012
I would have to try hand-holding this lens myself to be convinced of its real-life usefulness. Too bad my Canons do not offer IBIS, which I'm sure would help.
Also, the small LED array at end, while seemingly a good idea, appears to be creating harsh, blown-out videos in their sample videos in burrows. I wonder if the LED strength can be adjusted and how useful it actually would be in Macro photo shooting.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

DJL329

EOS R5
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2010
www.flickr.com
I would have to try hand-holding this lens myself to be convinced of its real-life usefulness. Too bad my Canons do not offer IBIS, which I'm sure would help.
Also, the small LED array at end, while seemingly a good idea, appears to be creating harsh, blown-out videos in their sample videos in burrows. I wonder if the LED strength can be adjusted and how useful it actually would be in Macro photo shooting.

In Kai's review, he shows the cable that attaches to the lens to connect to a USB power source. In addition to the cable's On/Off switch, it has Up and Down switches to increase/decrease the lights' intensity.

Upvote 0