Visiting USA, need some advice pls.

Jan 22, 2012
Hi everyone.
I will be visiting USA - NY mostly last week of June and 1st week of July. Dates are bit flexible still.
Question:
I want to visit a nice SCENIC national park for 3 odd days with my two daughters. Which one do you recommend?
I have never been to Yellowstone and was thinking visiting but I do not want to go anywhere that is too crowded. I have Alaska sort of visual in mind but 3 days will be too short and too far from NY. What do you suggest? Thanking you in advance.

Down in Virginia (about 6 hours from NYC) we have the Shenandoah national park

But you should be able to find something closer to NY State. Check out the Poconos in NE PA.

It all depends on what you are looking for. We have a lot of very different types of parks in the US. If you could share some of your interests, I am sure we can come up with some suggestions that won't take you across country.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
You will have to fly to Yellowstone, and we can visit while you are here, its a days drive from Spokane. You will need to reserve a place to stay, you can find a good place, but the best ones are reserved months in advance.

The Olympic National park near Seattle is less crowded, and fantastic, everything from Pacific Ocean beaches to rain forests, you can take a ferry to Victoria BC and spend a day there, you could easily spend a week in the area. If your interested, I or others can help you out. There are lots of photo opportunities. You can go on a whale watch, sometimes they can be spotted from a Ferry. Visit Seattle, there is lots there to photograph.

Its far away from NYC (Thank Goodness :)), so its a day spent traveling each wa :-Xy.

There are lots of good recommendations for park visits. Why not go to Niagara Falls. You will need to go to the Canadian side, but its a experience. Big crowds though. Its pretty difficult to avoid the crowds once Summer is here and the schools are out.

Upvote 0
I have to agree. First, not sure what nice and scenic might mean. It can be so much different for different people.

Going out west is expensive and lots of travel time, both air and ground. Also, crowds can be prohibitive, and you may need advance reservations even to get into some places. Staying in the east, the options are limited.

Shenandoah and Great Smokey Mountain National Parks are scenic, but not snow-capped peaks scenic. In the dead of summer, they're big green hills, and the heat and haze can make photography unrewarding. Up in Maine, there is Acadia National Park, but it's relatively small and a long way to go. Rewards will be coastal vistas. Finally, you could look at Everglades National Park at the south end of Florida. I haven't been there, and I know it will be sweltering in late June and July.

Finally, you'll be dealing with U.S. Independence Day on Saturday, July 4th. Everything is booked and general bedlam that weekend. Of course, you may see some nice fireworks displays.

One park I will suggest in NYC is the Franklin D. Roosevelt Four Freedoms Park on Roosevelt Island in New York City.

http://www.fdrfourfreedomspark.org/

Upvote 0
Time is your most precious commodity, you can easily burn those three days in the coming & going. Also, National Parks are great, but National Monuments, National Forests, State Parks, & others can have just as much scenic beauty. Give plenty of thought to Adirondack State Park in NY or National Forests in Vermont & New Hampshire. Plenty of photos through Google, and do a little research into the Hudson River School of painters - maybe their inspiration would be good enough for you. Consider an evening flight from NYC to an upstate city where you can rent a car.
If you really must hit a National Park, look for something close to a major airport that can be your arrival or departure airport. Phoenix and Las Vegas are about equal for the Grand Canyon. Denver is good for Rocky Mountain National Park, but 3 days is too short at that altitude. Miami has the Everglades, but you might not rate that as "scenic". Seattle has been mentioned already.
If you don't want crowds, beware of July 4th. Most people will have a day off work on the 3rd (because the 4th is a Saturday). Many will take 4 vacation days along with the holiday and go to a National Park. Lodging could be a challenge. Can you do the scenic part at the start of the trip? Fireworks in NYC could be fun on the 4th.

Upvote 0
if you are going to be in NYC primarily forget about the west coast. way too much travel time to get over there and get to a National Park. you will burn 2 solid days traveling out of the 3 you have allotted.

Adirondacks is your best bet. like most national parks, you could spend a week there and not even begin to scratch the surface. couple hour drive from the city will give you a solid 2 days to explore.

Upvote 0
Sanj,
Yellowstone is stunning but you don't have the time to do it justice. I spent about five days last year excluding travel. Too short. From NYC, you probably will have to fly to Salt Lake and then a 5-6 hrs drive. My suggestion, keep it for later. When you have more time. The southwest is again the best for rock formations, falls etc. But there are a few on the east coast. Acadia in maine, Shenandoah etc.
I agree with a previous poster, spend it in NYC. You are a good photographer and it's rich in subject matter. Depending on what you enjoy, keep the southwest and west coast for another time with more time. Though I can totally understand the temptation! Hope this helps,
Ray

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I'm trying to think of the easiest places to get to from a major city. Plus, this is limited by places I have actually been.

Some random thoughts: Everyone should see Niagara Falls and I think you could get there in the allotted time. For kids, Maid of the Mist is a must-do. Keep in mind that Niagara Falls is one of the first tourist destinations in the country (actually countries, because it straddles the U.S. and Canada and many feel the Canadian side is better) with all that entails good and bad.

Grand Canyon is actually pretty accessible. Fly into Phoenix, rent a car and you can drive there in less than a half a day. Act now and you still may be able to find a room at one of the main lodges on the South Rim (El Tovar being the best, but most expensive) If you stay at El Tovar or one of the other lodges on the South Rim all you have to do is walk 50 feet outside your lodge for some of best views of the Canyon.

Or, you can fly in to Las Vegas. Zion National Park is within a day's drive of Vegas. Stay at the lodge in the park. You won't have time to stay anywhere else. You can also visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon from Vegas.

There is no way you could possibly get to Yellowstone and back in the allotted time. Just getting from Jackson Hole to the Park is going to take the better part of a day and the park is just too huge to see it in a few days, especially during high season when traffic can be bumper to bumper near any bear siting.

How old are your kids? If they are in their early teens or younger, you may be better off in Orlando.

Upvote 0
Jan 1, 2013
Sanj,
3 days in New York, that's quite short. If you decide to go the the western part (Grand Canyou, Washington state, etc.,) of the country, flight time is 5 hours, not counting extra time you'll need to be at the airport, both before the flight, and after to get your luggage. Not economic to waste time like this.
Try rent a car from NY and drive to the upstate part of NY state. Adirondack is good. The Finger Lakes, (Seneca Lake) is beautiful, plus quite a few wineries. Drive around into Connecticut, western Pennsylvania and even into Boston. May not be national parks. But, get a flavor of the north east.
Don't forget to visit B and H, though, make sure you time it for a weekday, plus not a Jewish holiday, they're closed Friday eve to Sunday morning.
Certainly hope you have a good time in the U.S. Shoot some and post lots.
Enjoy.
-r

Upvote 0

Coz

7DmkII
Nov 25, 2014
For scenic parks near NYC, the suggestions of Niagara Falls, the Adirondacks, Catskills & Hudson Valley are good. I would also add Watkins Glen State Park

http://nysparks.com/parks/142/details.aspx

You could do all via a loop from NYC up through the Hudson Valley and/or Catskills, up to the Adirondacks, wesr to Niagara Falls and then south through the Finger Lakes to Watkins Glen and then east to NYC. If time permits, you can go south from Watkins Glen to Pine Creek Gorge in Pennsylvania - also known as the Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
AcutancePhotography said:
Down in Virginia (about 6 hours from NYC) we have the Shenandoah national park

But you should be able to find something closer to NY State. Check out the Poconos in NE PA.

It all depends on what you are looking for. We have a lot of very different types of parks in the US. If you could share some of your interests, I am sure we can come up with some suggestions that won't take you across country.

Thank you Acutance. I Googled Poconos. It is indeed beautiful but seems very crowded. Am I correct? I checked https://www.google.com/search?q=poconos&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zgNcVZvVPIXluQT6-IDQBg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAw&biw=1260&bih=1328

I think I am ok with a 3/4 hour flight from NY or a 6/7 hours drive. I do not want to land up a a large resort/spa with a heard shaped pool. I want a little isolation, adventure 'log cabin' feel. :) I will explore this area further soon, it seems to have potential and the best part is that it is not too far from NY.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
sunnyVan said:
Honestly if you want national park you should go to the midwest or all the way west. Acadia is kind of close to NY but 8hrs drive still. If I were you I should just concentrate on NYC and the museums and cultural activities. If you want nature, national park kind of stuff, ny will disappoint you.

Yes Sunny. Understand. The trip to States will be for around 2 weeks, I am looking at pulling the daughters out of the malls into nature where we all can bond better. When in NY I will insist of museums/activities.

I am ok driving for 5/6 hours or flying 3/4 hours. But want to land up in a place with not so many people. I like the following images. Giving for reference only. Any such place is fine.:)

Attachments

• canmore_rocky_mountains-hd-wallpaper.jpg
    canmore_rocky_mountains-hd-wallpaper.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 461
  • denali-national-park.jpg
    denali-national-park.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 345
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
beforeEos Camaras said:
well depends on where in New York you are but the national sea shore cape cod in with in 6 hours drive It has beaches forests scrub swamps , no mountain's its a birding paradise also whale watches seal watches are also can be done while in the that part of cape cod

Sorry Before EOS I missed writing that I am willing to travel and that mountains would be nice. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
You will have to fly to Yellowstone, and we can visit while you are here, its a days drive from Spokane. You will need to reserve a place to stay, you can find a good place, but the best ones are reserved months in advance.

The Olympic National park near Seattle is less crowded, and fantastic, everything from Pacific Ocean beaches to rain forests, you can take a ferry to Victoria BC and spend a day there, you could easily spend a week in the area. If your interested, I or others can help you out. There are lots of photo opportunities. You can go on a whale watch, sometimes they can be spotted from a Ferry. Visit Seattle, there is lots there to photograph.

Its far away from NYC (Thank Goodness :)), so its a day spent traveling each wa :-Xy.

There are lots of good recommendations for park visits. Why not go to Niagara Falls. You will need to go to the Canadian side, but its a experience. Big crowds though. Its pretty difficult to avoid the crowds once Summer is here and the schools are out.

"We can visit" That sounds awesome. But it seems (maybe I am wrong) that 3 days would be less for Yellowstone.

I checked: https://www.google.co.in/search?q=Olympic+national+park+usa&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=VwpcVaKeN8u1uQSYg4HQBg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1260&bih=1328

It is indeed very nice. Wow. BUT I will have to fly all across the country. Do you think it would be worth it. Fly NY to Seattle. Rent a car. Drive to Olympic. It will take a day to go and a day to return. I don't mind if we end up in the right place.

Need your advice. Perhaps some less visited park in center of the continent will be 'easier'?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
quod said:
I suggest Acadia National Park in Maine or Shenandoah in Virginia Acadia's fairly close to New York; you can drive or fly to Bangor and drive from there. I would advise against the parks in the western USA (e.g., Yellowstone, Bryce, Grand Canyon, etc.) because you need to fly out there and they are more remote.

https://www.google.co.in/search?q=acadia+national+park&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=wAtcVYeQFpSduQSg2YLQBg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1260&bih=1328

Very beautiful. Very. How many hours drive do you think this will be from NY? If I pick mid week right after 4th of July weekend, do you think it may be quiet?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
agierke said:
if you are going to be in NYC primarily forget about the west coast. way too much travel time to get over there and get to a National Park. you will burn 2 solid days traveling out of the 3 you have allotted.

Adirondacks is your best bet. like most national parks, you could spend a week there and not even begin to scratch the surface. couple hour drive from the city will give you a solid 2 days to explore.

Keeps getting better. Just two hours drive to this place?

Beautiful. https://www.google.co.in/search?q=Adirondacks&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Zg5cVdPpD5DauQTep4GABg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1260&bih=1328

Upvote 0