Visiting USA, need some advice pls.

sanj said:
I understand AP. But the trip idea is not just photography oriented. It is to try and spend undivided time with the girls. Away from distractions. Building fire together and gazing at the setting sun. :)

That was actually my point. Don't waste your trip traveling when you can spend quality time with your family and take pictures locally.

Upvote 0
Assateague is a small little oddity. typically it is a half day trip for beachgoers who are interested in seeing the horses. it sounds neat, and it is a bit, but it lacks the wow factor imo. but maybe i'm saying that because i live in the area and it is a bit familiar to me.

as far as the amish go...keep in mind that there is a sizable portion of that community that does not like to be photographed and does not want to mix with the modern world. some of them don't mind modern trappings, but it is a roll of the dice as to how amenable they will be towards a tourist with a camera. i live about 40 minutes from Lancaster PA (a huge amish community) and i have seen quite a bit of their culture. very private people.

Upvote 0
I live in NYC and take frequent scenic photo trips outside of my home. Within a reasonable few day trip from NYC, you could include some or all of these (google them for some example photos):
Shawangunk Ridge, Catskills, Mohonk, Whiteface Mountain, Lake Placid, Hudson (City), Olana, Vermont and Berkshires.

These are generally better in late September/early October for the Fall foliage, but, perhaps the most scenic anytime (close to NYC).

Upvote 0
You could also think about renting a car and driving out Long Island through the Hamptons to Montauk point. From Montauk you can take a ferry (I think I read it is high speed,takes about an hour, requires reservations and no cars allowed) out to Block Island and stay in one of the old hotels such as the Spring House. I stayed at Block Island many times when I was young and had a great time, but we always went via Rhode Island. You may want to research Montauk and Block Island and find out the travel times from NYC to Montauk which may be problematic if you are traveling to and from New City on a Friday or Sunday and are facing the weekend traffic to and from the Hamptons. You also have the option of taking a train from NYC to Montauk and avoid the rental car. CaptureWhatYouSee, who posted before me, may have better insight into this choice.

Upvote 0
Lloyd said:
You could also think about renting a car and driving out Long Island through the Hamptons to Montauk point. From Montauk you can take a ferry (I think I read it is high speed,takes about an hour, requires reservations and no cars allowed) out to Block Island and stay in one of the old hotels such as the Spring House. I stayed at Block Island many times when I was young and had a great time, but we always went via Rhode Island. You may want to research Montauk and Block Island and find out the travel times from NYC to Montauk which may be problematic if you are traveling to and from New City on a Friday or Sunday and are facing the weekend traffic to and from the Hamptons. You also have the option of taking a train from NYC to Montauk and avoid the rental car. CaptureWhatYouSee, who posted before me, may have better insight into this choice.

That would be nice for coastal and beach scenery. I think that the OP stated that he would prefer mountain scenery. I think that my list contains the best options around here for that. If you want more dramatic mountains, someone mentioned Denver as a reasonable 3 day trip from NYC, I would concur with that. The East Coast doesn't have such large mountain formations.

I wouldn't go out to Long Island on the July 4th weekend. Or really any weekend in the Summer. That would be a good time to be in NYC because everyone goes to The Island on the weekends.

Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
I think a few days in New York should suffice for visiting the must-see places. After that you should travel to at least one other part of the USA, if only to get a more balanced picture of this big country. Besides, after the intense experiences of the city, you'll be probably look forward to the quiet of the less-populated places.
Two places I would recommend that fall within your criteria of no more than a day's drive away are the Appalachian Mountains (along with the Shenandoah Valley) and the coast of Maine.
Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a little further away (10 to 12 hours) and, while it offers some most impressive views, it's likely to be filled with other tourists this time of year. But, there is Shenandoah National Park and several national forests in Virginia that are nearly as great. And, by all means take in the Blue Ridge Parkway. Unless the weather is really terrible, you won't be disappointed. Even then, it's pretty awesome in a rainstorm.
If you choose to venture north, I agree with so many others in recommending Acadia National Park. Like in the Smoky Mountains, it probably will be crowded, so figure to be there mid-week. Since Fourth of July falls on a weekend, you'll probably be okay. You should enjoy Acadia for a day or two, but I think you will have even more fun exploring the small towns of the Maine Coast. Plan to take US 1 at least one way. The stretch from Freeport (just north of Portland) to Ellsworth (close to Bar Harbor) offer countless possibilities. If you have the time, take some side trips down the peninsulas for fishing villages, old farms and rocky coastlines.
I hope you get to at least one of these destinations, even better if you can enjoy the two.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
sanj said:
kirispupis said:
First, I disagree that your timing is terrible. The weather should be nice that time of year nearly everywhere in the country and you'll have multiple opportunities to get some good fireworks shots (many small towns do fireworks shows shortly before the 4th).

I do agree that going west will take too much time. Besides the flights there is the issue that distances out here are far.

My recommendation is to look at Long Island - particularly further out like Sag Harbor and Montauk. Those areas are beautiful - we used to have a summer home out there - and there will be numerous photo opportunities.

Niagara Falls - I grew up not far from there and honestly it's not as impressive as you might think. If you happen to be nearby it's worth a stop, but otherwise it's a rather far trip from NYC.

Thanks for the encouragement about the timing. :) I am thinking that I should do this trip first thing. Around the 20th of July, hoping the crowds will yet be not there. Is there any truth to this?

The big crows start when school gets out for the summer in early June and its crowded thru Labor Day (1st Week of September). After Labor Day, school starts, and the crowds drop off dramatically. That's a wonderful time for vacations, weather is nice but milder and there are fewer crowds.

Those like me tend to schedule our trips to popular attractions in April and May, or September. Hotel rates are lower then as well.

Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
In two hours you can be in tidal flats along the New Jersey shorelines to the well into the pocono/catskill "mountains" (more really big hills than mountains) that have plenty of rivers and waterfalls. Either side of the Hudson River will offer interesting views & photos. (try google earth for some suggestions)

That time of year, if you are traveling to a 2nd city outside of NYC, I would go north vs. south - it is hot and getting hotter.

Best of luck and enjoy your visit.

Upvote 0
Acadia N.P in Maine. Climate a bit more like the UK (not likely to be beastly hot like many places in the US at that time due to ocean breezes). Fly to Bangor Int'l Airport and rent a car, and tour the adjacent areas like the Blue Hill Peninsula - Brooksville and Stonington are quintessential Maine.

You may find the main part of the park a bit crowded but drive over to the section near Southwest Harbor that few people know about (Long Pond and Echo Lake) with lots of hiking trails and low mountains. Another section of the park is the Schoodic Peninsula - very wild and uncrowded but separated about 40 miles east up US Rt 1. Rent a bike - if you can; demand is high - and ride the 45 miles of scenic carriage roads (car-free) built a century ago by the Rockefellers who owned 10s of thousands of acres here, among other philanthropists, which became the park.

Accommodations will be hard to find on the island (Mt Desert) but you can probably find something in Ellsworth about 20 miles north towards Bangor along with all the conveniences (big box stores, McDonalds, LL Bean outlet store, motels).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
rowlandw said:
Acadia N.P in Maine. Climate a bit more like the UK (not likely to be beastly hot like many places in the US at that time due to ocean breezes). Fly to Bangor Int'l Airport and rent a car, and tour the adjacent areas like the Blue Hill Peninsula - Brooksville and Stonington are quintessential Maine.

You may find the main part of the park a bit crowded but drive over to the section near Southwest Harbor that few people know about (Long Pond and Echo Lake) with lots of hiking trails and low mountains. Another section of the park is the Schoodic Peninsula - very wild and uncrowded but separated about 40 miles east up US Rt 1. Rent a bike - if you can; demand is high - and ride the 45 miles of scenic carriage roads (car-free) built a century ago by the Rockefellers who owned 10s of thousands of acres here, among other philanthropists, which became the park.

Accommodations will be hard to find on the island (Mt Desert) but you can probably find something in Ellsworth about 20 miles north towards Bangor along with all the conveniences (big box stores, McDonalds, LL Bean outlet store, motels).

I think the message is clear. If you plan to come July 20, you should firm up your stops and make room reservations now. Generally, they can be cancelled if you need to, but they are likely already hard to get in many places.

Finding a place in July with no crowds is out of the question, but in the North, at least it will be cooler, and there are good suggestions for less crowded places. New Hampshire, Vermont, and Maine are within reach of NYC, but its still a days drive to Bangor, and traffic can be crowded and slow on a weekend.

Upstate New York is beautiful, and there are places without crowds, but you really need to know where to go and on which days. Finger lakes, for example could be hugely crowded on some days and empty on others. You don't want to be in Watkins Glen on June 25-28 if you are avoiding crowds.

http://www.theglen.com/?homepage=true

Upvote 0
Sanjay,

As others have said, your biggest challenge may be finding lodging accommodations. So that may determine where you and your daughters eventually go. If your top priority is a scenic location, my recommendation is Yosemite National Park. It is stunningly beautiful. And it is historic as our national park system evolved from Yosemite. Drive time between San Francisco and Yosemite is about 5 hours.

Attachments

• Yosemite.jpg
    Yosemite.jpg
    300.7 KB · Views: 187
Upvote 0
DennyF said:
If your top priority is a scenic location, my recommendation is Yosemite National Park. It is stunningly beautiful. And it is historic as our national park system evolved from Yosemite. Drive time between San Francisco and Yosemite is about 5 hours.
One of his criteria was no crowds. Yosemite is crowded year-round, except when they first open the roads after winter. It's awesome, but crowded.

Upvote 0
Lloyd said:

I used to spend my summers in Montauk and can definitely attest that it is a very beautiful place to go. The lighthouse is very nice and I have long wanted to go back there and get it during a sunrise.

However, if you're looking for mountain scenery there are locations you can easily reach by plane that offer it. Seattle is one such place. It is an easy direct flight from NYC (5 hrs one way, 6 the other) and you can see the mountains on a clear day from the city. Mount Rainier, Mount St. Helens, and numerous other beautiful places are all easily done as day trips.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
sanj said:
Am thinking thinking thinking. Planning planning planning. All your replies are helping.
Some decisions:
a) Close to NY. 6 hrs drive.
b) Camping!!

The Adirondacks (about 4 to 5 hours drive) would be my recommendation. Some areas are more crowded, such as Lake Placid or Old Forge, but other areas are more peaceful such as the area around Indian Lake and Blue Mountain Lake. I'm sure if you do a search for campgrounds in that area you will find some good opportunities.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I reach on 18th July. :)

Time to select equipment for the trip. The best part before the trip. Lol.
I am thinking of taking the following. You PLEASE advice.
1. 5d3. (Was earlier thinking not taking this but buying the 5dr. Now not so inclined)
2. 16-35 f4 IS - Daytime wide angle.
3. 24-105 f4 IS - Daytime walk around.
4. 85mm f1.2 for night Manhattan. :)
5. 35mm f2 IS for night handheld shots.
6. Arca head with light weight Gitzo tripod.

Undecided:
1. Zeiss 35 1.4 for tripod night city shots, stars if I end up going camping.
2. 70-200 mm.

Anything I should add/delete?

Sorry also am taking Sony RX1003 for restaurants etc.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
jhpeterson said:
I think a few days in New York should suffice for visiting the must-see places. After that you should travel to at least one other part of the USA, if only to get a more balanced picture of this big country. Besides, after the intense experiences of the city, you'll be probably look forward to the quiet of the less-populated places.
Two places I would recommend that fall within your criteria of no more than a day's drive away are the Appalachian Mountains (along with the Shenandoah Valley) and the coast of Maine.
Great Smoky Mountains National Park is a little further away (10 to 12 hours) and, while it offers some most impressive views, it's likely to be filled with other tourists this time of year. But, there is Shenandoah National Park and several national forests in Virginia that are nearly as great. And, by all means take in the Blue Ridge Parkway. Unless the weather is really terrible, you won't be disappointed. Even then, it's pretty awesome in a rainstorm.
If you choose to venture north, I agree with so many others in recommending Acadia National Park. Like in the Smoky Mountains, it probably will be crowded, so figure to be there mid-week. Since Fourth of July falls on a weekend, you'll probably be okay. You should enjoy Acadia for a day or two, but I think you will have even more fun exploring the small towns of the Maine Coast. Plan to take US 1 at least one way. The stretch from Freeport (just north of Portland) to Ellsworth (close to Bar Harbor) offer countless possibilities. If you have the time, take some side trips down the peninsulas for fishing villages, old farms and rocky coastlines.
I hope you get to at least one of these destinations, even better if you can enjoy the two.

Thank you so much for your kind advice. Appreciate. :) checking....

Upvote 0