Watching Wimbledon and saw this....

applecider said:
I notice that none of the photographers are using hoods with their big lenses. My use case is that the hood stays on all the time the lenses are out and about. Seems as protective as can be. The only time the lens see the soft lens cap is when packed for travel.

Is this a space or handling issue? Curious as to what others here do, and why these event shooters are not hooded.
Maybe they only use them while actually shooting towards the sun...the whole stadium can already provide a good protection against stray light.
Those white hoods are also mad expensive!
I can't find any weight specifications for those - maybe it's also somewhat weight related, or to quickly change lenses. I can also see that the longer lens is also more bulky, it's easier to quickly move a short lens.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
applecider said:
I notice that none of the photographers are using hoods with their big lenses. My use case is that the hood stays on all the time the lenses are out and about. Seems as protective as can be. The only time the lens see the soft lens cap is when packed for travel.

Is this a space or handling issue? Curious as to what others here do, and why these event shooters are not hooded.

Usually photographers in the sideline pits have hoods mounted, but AFAIK their in a position where light can more easily hit the lenses.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Those white hoods are also mad expensive!
I can't find any weight specifications for those - maybe it's also somewhat weight related, or to quickly change lenses. I can also see that the longer lens is also more bulky, it's easier to quickly move a short lens.
[/quote]

The-digital-picture lists all the weights in the "specifications" - one of these things for which the site is very useful. The hoods are quite heavy.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
djack41 said:
Kit. said:
Mikehit said:
Why the pink tape....? If you are trying to conceal something it seems a very obvious way to do it....
The guy at her left-hand side seems to have exactly the same setup, except for the lack of tape.

Look closely. The cameras are not the same.
They look the same to me, the guys has a WFT on it but they both have the 1DX MkII GPS hump.

Upvote 0