Waterscapes

paul13walnut5 said:
That shot made the guy a fortune. And still makes him a living.
Make it your own. Everybody (in the UK at least0 has seen that image on somebodies wall, it's like here in Scotland. I'm an hour and a halfs drive from the best landscape scenery on earth. Glencoe. Black rock. Loch Etive. But Joe Cornich, Colin Prior and 2'000 club photographers have done it all better than me, I would only tackle these with a genuinely new angle, or with luck, some genuinely new light.

Be inspired by the classic Ullswater print, but take that inspiration and come back with something of your own.
Glen Coe will be my other stop-off, one night on the way up, two on the way back. I've never been one to do what has been done to death and I've avoided Glastonbury Tor for that reason, although it would probably generate me lots of traffic.

Here are a couple of Ullswater from my last two visits.

Ullswater Rays by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

Ullswater Flooding by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

Most of my Glencoe ones wouldn't fit into this topic, but there are a couple.

Loch Etive in Black and White by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

Mist over Loch Leven by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

And a slightly different image to the previous one, taken in the same shoot.

Eilean Munde by Kernuak (avalonlightphotoart.co.uk), on Flickr

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Hope I can get away with these being 'waterscape'. All shot with 5D mk1, floods 24-105, geese 85 f1.8, Watendlath 50 f1.4
Well, if it's good enough for the geese...
The first one is very atmospheric, with added interest, definitely my favourite of the three. One of my ealier ones was also floods, in fact the line of trees in the middle was a road and the rest fields normally.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Kernuak said:
Sporgon said:
Hope I can get away with these being 'waterscape'. All shot with 5D mk1, floods 24-105, geese 85 f1.8, Watendlath 50 f1.4
The first one is very atmospheric, with added interest, definitely my favourite of the three. One of my ealier ones was also floods, in fact the line of trees in the middle was a road and the rest fields normally.

Thanks Richard, I like that one. It was sunrise and the swans are actually floating over the field: the river is on the right of the flood bank, normally about fifteen feet lower.

I remember the pictures you posted from the floods in the South West, and your narrative that went with them. They were very dramatic !

Make sure you post some of your pictures from your Ullswater trip !

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Kernuak said:
Sporgon said:

Thanks Richard, I like that one. It was sunrise and the swans are actually floating over the field: the river is on the right of the flood bank, normally about fifteen feet lower.

I remember the pictures you posted from the floods in the South West, and your narrative that went with them. They were very dramatic !

Make sure you post some of your pictures from your Ullswater trip !
I will do. Hopefully the weather will play ball. It's had a habit of being so wet, that the mountains were completely invisible in both the Lakes and Glencoe. Ironically, despite it being a very wet year last year, I actually had better luck in both May and October last year. While you should be able to photograph in all weathers, it does sort of limit options when it's too bad.

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
Kernuak said:
tomscott said:
Few from me, I practically live on a lake so most of mine involve water.
I'll have a couple of overnight stops on Ullswater in a few weeks, so it's good to see these. The place I'm staying has a shot of the Yacht Club pier (I think it was in reception), but I've never worked out how to get down there or if there is public access.

Ye its just Ullswater Yacht Club, its not public access but as long as your not doing anything you shouldn't its fine, when I took those it was out of yacht season so was like a ghost town.

TBF its not the best pier on Ullswater because you cant really see down the lake, but it was such a stunning sunset earlier on in the year and It was the closest best pier to me in the time I had the sunset so I couldn't resist :)

Upvote 0
tomscott said:
Kernuak said:
tomscott said:
Few from me, I practically live on a lake so most of mine involve water.
I'll have a couple of overnight stops on Ullswater in a few weeks, so it's good to see these. The place I'm staying has a shot of the Yacht Club pier (I think it was in reception), but I've never worked out how to get down there or if there is public access.

Ye its just Ullswater Yacht Club, its not public access but as long as your not doing anything you shouldn't its fine, when I took those it was out of yacht season so was like a ghost town.

TBF its not the best pier on Ullswater because you cant really see down the lake, but it was such a stunning sunset earlier on in the year and It was the closest best pier to me in the time I had the sunset so I couldn't resist :)
Thanks Tom. I wondered if there was another pier somewhere. I haven't had a chance to explore properly and have stayed down the Pooley Bridge end.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
Hi jrista, thanks for staring this thread ... nice effort. Here are a few pics made during my trip to India during July 2013 ... I wish I could have got more photos of some of the bigger/better waterfalls, but it was raining cats and dogs, there were a couple of times I thought I'd lose my life, so I 5hit myself and went back home ... it can get pretty dangerous on the hills (we call them Ghats) in Goa. Anyway, the below pics are all in-camera HDR shots, straight out of the camera with no post processing (other than reduce the size in lightroom for uploading).

Attachments

• Chorla Ghat Waterfalls 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 1,791
Upvote 0
Simple one

_full.jpg

Upvote 0
Nice shots folks! Here's a few of my favs from the past couple of years.

1. Havasupai, Grand Canyon, Arizona
2. Zion NP, Utah
3. Pfeiffer Beach, Big Sur, California - 2 1/2 minute long exposure w a Big Stopper - it was gray & cloudy until part way through the exposure, when the red sunset started shining through. I didn't touch the vibrance or saturation, main white, black & shadows, since it was still under exposed.
4. Pfeiffer Beach, Big Sur, California

Attachments

• Havasu_1 (1024x684).jpg
    Havasu_1 (1024x684).jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 1,046
  • Zion (1024x683).jpg
    Zion (1024x683).jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 1,123
  • Pfeiffer Beach (1024x683).jpg
    Pfeiffer Beach (1024x683).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,150
  • Pfeiffer Beach 2 (1024x683).jpg
    Pfeiffer Beach 2 (1024x683).jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,166
Upvote 0
Feb 1, 2013
Cali_PH said:

2. Zion NP, Utah
3. Pfeiffer Beach, Big Sur, California - 2 1/2 minute long exposure w a Big Stopper - it was gray & cloudy until part way through the exposure, when the red sunset started shining through. I didn't touch the vibrance or saturation, main white, black & shadows, since it was still under exposed.

Image 4 is the best by far!

Upvote 0
Cali_PH said:

2. Zion NP, Utah

They are all fantastic :)

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
serendipidy said:
Cali_PH said:

2. Zion NP, Utah

They are all fantastic :)

+1 Awesome. Well done.

Upvote 0