WB changing when I open image in photoshop.

Mar 25, 2011
Its simple:

In one photo, you have a jpeg image which was developed according to the settings in your camera, and not in photoshop. The other is a raw image which does not have any of those color / exposure corrections applied.

By using Raw, you are able to start with the sensor data in relatively pure form. with the jpeg, the camera determines the corrections. You can set ACR to apply corrections automatically, but you may not like them in all cases. If you set your camera to stop correcting the jpeg images, they will be very similar.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
llre said:
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The jpeg is derived from the Raw file. Same thing happens with a .tiff of the same image, and even with the .cr2, when I open them in PS.

Is it the embedded jpeg in the raw file? That will be the same situation.

Is it a jpeg image that was saved from a edited raw image? This brings the issue of color spaces and other nasty things into the picture. I've heard of people seeing this situation in the past, it gets complex and the devil is in the details. You have a wide gamut adobe RGB image but save it as Adobe SRGB so the Raw tiff or CR2 have a different color space. That's just one possibility.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
This gets into color profiles. Did you embed a color profile when you saved the ACR image? Which one? If you did not embed a color profile, photoshop will use its default, and colors will be different.

You will see the color space in the center bottom of the image. Adobe RGB 1998 is the default. Wnen you embed a color profile, photoshop will use it, and the image should look the same.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
dppaskewitz said:
I have a similar issue using On1. It seems to me to be a saturation issue, not white balance. The same image in On1 appears to be super saturated. Happens whether I use On1 standalone or as a plugin to LR or PS. It is driving me crazy.

That also is a symptom of a color space issue. Make sure your image has a color space embedded. For example, Adobe SRGB or Adobe RGB there are other widely used ones a well. Most high end software will recognize the color space and use it, but some software may just use its own color space and that's a problem to figure out.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
What are your color settings in Photoshop (especially color management policies)? Which color profile does ACR assign to imported photos?

If I understood correctly, you did this:

1) Opened the RAW in ACR and modified it
2) Saved it *from ACR* to a file
3) Opened that file in PS

In this case which color profile is used depends on what profile ACR assigned to the image, and the color management settings of Photoshop, especially what happens if Photoshop working profile and the image embedded profile don't match.

If you open the CR2 directly from Photoshop, it still goes through ACR, just it pass the data directly to Photoshop (without any lossy JPEG compression, if a JPEG file is used). Even if your final format is JPEG/sRGB, is far better to get RAWs in Photoshop in a larger space (ProPhoto, AdobeRGB) and 16bit, which will allow for more editing without degrading the image much, and then convert to sRGB and output to JPEG as the last step (maybe to a copy so the image can still be better edited if needed).

Upvote 0