We’ve returned to the 26.2mp sensor in the EOS RP

YnR

Dec 19, 2018
Ugggghhh. Stop penny pinching us. Charge us a couple hundred more and give us a better sensor. Don’t even need more MP just better DR. I don’t need weather sealing, 20 FPS, or a top LCD. In fact, I’d love a “cheap plasticky” body to cut down the weight. But I won’t buy anything until Canon makes their entry level FF mirrorless option with a solid, not even great, sensor. All these great RF lenses are just going to highlight the sensor’s inadequacies unless I plan on using my photos for social media only (which I don’t). How old is the 6DII sensor? How much hate did it get? Yea, it works but consumers could clearly have better and don’t think that’s unreasonable to ask for.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Ugggghhh. Stop penny pinching us. Charge us a couple hundred more and give us a better sensor. Don’t even need more MP just better DR. I don’t need weather sealing, 20 FPS, or a top LCD. In fact, I’d love a “cheap plasticky” body to cut down the weight. But I won’t buy anything until Canon makes their entry level FF mirrorless option with a solid, not even great, sensor. All these great RF lenses are just going to highlight the sensor’s inadequacies unless I plan on using my photos for social media only (which I don’t). How old is the 6DII sensor? How much hate did it get? Yea, it works but consumers could clearly have better and don’t think that’s unreasonable to ask for.
They have painted themselves into a corner with DPAF. They can’t just drop in a SONY sensor. Not that DPAF is bad in any way - it works well but I suspect anything they make will need to have it. FWIW: the DR on the 5DIV and the R is pretty good.

Upvote 0

YnR

Dec 19, 2018
They have painted themselves into a corner with DPAF. They can’t just drop in a SONY sensor. Not that DPAF is bad in any way - it works well but I suspect anything they make will need to have it. FWIW: the DR on the 5DIV and the R is pretty good.

Definitely don’t want the weight of the 5DIV even though it’s a great camera and would like a flip screen as I find myself using it a lot. The R is tempting for what I do but hoping for a cheaper option.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Sensor with the low ISO performance being at the 6D league. Ah, 6D was released 2012, so it'S actually only 7 years ....
You might not like the 6DII's sensor, you might think it wasn't a big enough advance over the one in the 6D, but, please, don't misrepresent the age of the sensor. The eos 6D II was announced in the summer of 2017.

So if the EOS RP is going with the same sensor, IT IS ONLY TWO YEARS OLD.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

If we can get the recycled 6D II sensor with some DPAF software and other improvements at the 77D price it will be a home run.
No R&D for the sensor, it is amortized. the body and mount are pretty much designed.
Good model for entry to FF on a real budget if some inexpensive kit lenses are also introduced.
Yes, purists will bitch and moan but for those looking for FF performance and just could not afford to join the club this is a golden opportunity for Canon to get them on board.
Just think a FF camera with a very good sensor for under $900 USD, WOW.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Canon is trying to get a big presence in the entry level full frame market, so I don't expect prosumer features or a super sensor, the 6D MK II certainly has a decent sensor, and for $1600, a RP will quickly get a big mirrorless market share, and make it possible for us to see more low cost RF lenses.

Its targeted at Rebel upgrade's or those without deep pockets who want the iq advantages of full frame. The pro level EOS R sensor is great for those shooting RAW, but I expect a majority of RP owners will shoot jpeg, and using more basic editing techniques, it should be great for that.

Looking at the photos, I like the return to the standard dial, and the lack of a slider bar on the rear is fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The trouble is, I don't consider it being a budget solution for the "professional line", if the lower line 80D, M5 and M6 have better low light performance.

Its pretty easy to check out the comparison, lots of online low light images are out there, I see no case where anyone with even marginal vision could not see that the 6D has way better low light performance.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YnR

Dec 19, 2018
You might not like the 6DII's sensor, you might think it wasn't a big enough advance over the one in the 6D, but, please, don't misrepresent the age of the sensor. The eos 6D II was announced in the summer of 2017.

So if the EOS RP is going with the same sensor, IT IS ONLY TWO YEARS OLD.

I’m not misrepresenting anything. If you want to make that argument, I’ll make the claim, you’re not seeing the relevant scenario. Two years is plenty of time to either improve the current sensor, design a new sensor, or even purchase a 3rd party sensor. Canon says it’s mirrorless sales are only going to cannibalize their own DSLR sales. You know why? Because no one in their right mind starting from scratch would buy the RP if it has the 6DII sensor. Same reason why no one in the same boat would take 6DII over the A7R. You want new customers? Make a product worth investing in. It’s not the pre-digital age anymore where you can limp in with a lame body. It’s not just about lenses anymore. The market isn’t growing so every company has to fight over the same pie to get a bigger slice. If the company wants to garner new customers, they need a new product. Rehashing two year old sensors isn’t the way. So yes, two years is old.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Using the 6d2's sensor should give Canon some room to really drive the price down. It'll get savaged on youtube by reviewers but if they can get the price low enough they'll sell. Ultimately that is all Canon really cares about with this model. It's a shrinking market and they need a sub $1000 body to make the R system viable for general users.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
...How old is the 6DII sensor?

How much hate did it get? Yea, it works but consumers could clearly have better and don’t think that’s unreasonable to ask for.

Ironic... the 6DII was criticized because it's low light sensitivity wasn't as good as an even older sensor; the 6DmkI sensor!

The 6DII was criticized because it apparently didn't add anything over the MkI but lost out in low light performance over it's predecessor and also because of the old AF system that was implemented. So overall, there wasn't anything wrong with the sensor. The 6DII traded more mp for low light performance. It was still good but not as good as the MkI.

The sensor itself captures and produces excellent images.

Upvote 0