We’ve returned to the 26.2mp sensor in the EOS RP

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I’m lost. I’ve only got this one SN. I will admit that I erroneously responded to your comment, so I apologize for that. I do think Canon is making the wrong choice in putting the 6D2 sensor in the RP, if that’s the case. Of course none of us have a crystal ball but who’s going to shell out $1500 for a re-release? The RP only offers a new mount over the 6DII. Any buyer who does any level of research is going to notice the stagnation that many of us Canon users are moaning about. If you were in that position, would you buy a RP? Want more market share? Then you have to entice new customers. No crystal ball needed.
I'm not currently in the market for a budget FF camera. I'm waiting for an RF mount with more features than the EOS R, but in no hurry because my 5DIV is working great. I will admit I'm still strongly attracted to the rf 50mm f/1.2L, months after its release, but I've cooled down enough to wait until I really need a new body.

Still, I don't understand the fuss about using a 6D II sensor WITH A BETTER PROCESSOR in a budget camera. What great IQ it will have, and what a great universe of available lenses it will have access to.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
We have a 6D and a 6D2 at work. Nobody has touched the 6D since we got the 6D2, except when the 6D2 was already in use. That should tell you something about the relative merits.

How many of you people criticizing the sensor have either one of the cameras?

Canon cameras suck in the spec sheet, but excel in the field.

Spot on, Don!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
All this is not much different from the criticism of the EOS R for 'recycling' an 'old and out of date' sensor from the 5DIV. Given the positioning of that camera (between the 6D and 5D range) the use of that sensor (i) avoided the capitalised cost of an only incrementally better new sensor while (ii) providing a significant benefit in image quality etc (with the new DIGIC version) from the camera the target market was upgrading from. Word for word the same for the EOS RP. This is about Canon trying to get people (especially existing Canon shooters) to upgrade their bodies, and to do so into the new mirrorless range - and welcome to the wonderful new world of RF lenses! The RP will be a serious upgrade in IQ and usability from the higher range APS-C user which is likely to be the target market. The EOS R came out first to pick up people wanting an upgrade from a 6D or 6Dii (or from APS-C and prepared to pay more).

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Because no one in their right mind starting from scratch would buy the RP if it has the 6DII sensor. Same reason why no one in the same boat would take 6DII over the A7R.

Pardon me while I laugh.

The 6DII is a faaaaaar better camera than the A7R. A7R was one of the more frustrating products I’ve ever owned. Sure, I could push the shadows farther, but I had to put a weight on the thing to dampen the shutter shock. The A7Rii was incredibly better, but still frustrating; mine was replaced by a 1Dx.

Two years is plenty of time to... design a new sensor,

Design? Maybe. But it sounds like a short cycle to go into mass production, although my expertise is in the development of electronics, not semiconductors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
You might not like the 6DII's sensor, you might think it wasn't a big enough advance over the one in the 6D, but, please, don't misrepresent the age of the sensor. The eos 6D II was announced in the summer of 2017.

So if the EOS RP is going with the same sensor, IT IS ONLY TWO YEARS OLD.

No, it is not, not performance wise - go figure. You are nitpicking on wording and that's just all that is to your reply.

Upvote 0
Yes, the next blah blah Canon will get horrible reviews ... blah blah ...
... then go on to outsell the competition two to one.

Is outselling the competition in any relation with technology, its capabilities, and advancements. Long time ago I was an Amiga user. It was outsold by Windows, which dragged entire world 10-15 years back.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2019
Well said. I have to agree and wonder how many neg commenters have actually ever used a 6DII. It's like Tony Northrup said not too long ago. The naysayers bash the specs but the camera just works in real life use.
I'm not a naysayer but I have used almost all Canons. 6D II is a great camera overall and its sensor is not as good as my old EOS M6 at base ISO (shadows are cleaner in M6 and I can push M6 shadows 1-2 stops more than 6D II). Still, overall, 6D II is a good camera. If RP is priced right with 24-105mm (like 2200USD) then it'll be an absolute winner.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
No, it is not, not performance wise - go figure. You are nitpicking on wording and that's just all that is to your reply.
You claimed the 6D II sensor was eight years old. I corrected you, saying it is two years old. "Nitpicking"? Your assertions seem a little soft pekr.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I wonder if the on chip AD/DA converter is covered by a patent that Sony owns. I also wonder if the 5D4 with it's higher price point has the budget to pay Sony a royalty to use this concept where as the 6DII has a tighter margin and therefore doesn't employ the same chip design.
It has nothing to do with Sony. (In that case they would have to pay that for almost all the APS-C models, since they are already using this technology)

Upvote 0

ExodistPhotography

Photographer, Artist & Youtuber
Feb 20, 2016
Phillippines
www.youtube.com
While I do not expect amazing things, it should at least be a good upgrade path for someone wanting mirrorless and upgrade from APS-C. If it is using 6D2's sensor, I hope it is at least improved some. That said I will reserve judgement before I have had my hands on it.

Upvote 0
You might not like the 6DII's sensor, you might think it wasn't a big enough advance over the one in the 6D, but, please, don't misrepresent the age of the sensor. The eos 6D II was announced in the summer of 2017.

So if the EOS RP is going with the same sensor, IT IS ONLY TWO YEARS OLD.

No. it is 8 Years old. It was obsolete at the time of release

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Please show us your source to back up your claim that the 6D II sensor is eight years old.
Come on now.... it is obvious!

The 6D2 came out 2017 06/29
The 6D came out 2012 11/20

Eight years ago was 2011 02/07

The 6D2 sensor came out 1 year and 9 months before the 6D came out. You just need the proper drugs...… take enough and this will make sense to you too :)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2019
I’m not misrepresenting anything. If you want to make that argument, I’ll make the claim, you’re not seeing the relevant scenario. Two years is plenty of time to either improve the current sensor, design a new sensor, or even purchase a 3rd party sensor. Canon says it’s mirrorless sales are only going to cannibalize their own DSLR sales. You know why? Because no one in their right mind starting from scratch would buy the RP if it has the 6DII sensor. Same reason why no one in the same boat would take 6DII over the A7R. You want new customers? Make a product worth investing in. It’s not the pre-digital age anymore where you can limp in with a lame body. It’s not just about lenses anymore. The market isn’t growing so every company has to fight over the same pie to get a bigger slice. If the company wants to garner new customers, they need a new product. Rehashing two year old sensors isn’t the way. So yes, two years is old.
You seem to think that people who frequent these forums are the majority of buyers, they are not. Most new buyers will be perfectly happy with the results obtained by this lightweight compact inexpensive full frame camera that can be used with all the EF lenses available with the adapter.

Upvote 0

YnR

Dec 19, 2018
Pardon me while I laugh.

The 6DII is a faaaaaar better camera than the A7R. A7R was one of the more frustrating products I’ve ever owned. Sure, I could push the shadows farther, but I had to put a weight on the thing to dampen the shutter shock. The A7Rii was incredibly better, but still frustrating; mine was replaced by a 1Dx.

Design? Maybe. But it sounds like a short cycle to go into mass production, although my expertise is in the development of electronics, not semiconductors.

Sorry meant the A73 not the R. My bad on the typo. No matter how you cut it, the 6D2 is fine if you’re on an island but doesn’t cut it for the price and competition.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YnR

Dec 19, 2018
You seem to think that people who frequent these forums are the majority of buyers, they are not. Most new buyers will be perfectly happy with the results obtained by this lightweight compact inexpensive full frame camera that can be used with all the EF lenses available with the adapter.
I don’t but I do think most people do some research before plopping down $1500-2000 on a camera and the internet isn’t shy about its thoughts on the 6d2.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Come on now.... it is obvious!

The 6D2 came out 2017 06/29
The 6D came out 2012 11/20

Eight years ago was 2011 02/07

The 6D2 sensor came out 1 year and 9 months before the 6D came out. You just need the proper drugs...… take enough and this will make sense to you too :)
Maybe it's "troll math"? :alien:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0