We’ve returned to the 26.2mp sensor in the EOS RP

Dec 13, 2010
From a north american viewpoint.. Thew more sensible Europeans here never bought into the apple hype except for the artsy people (mainly artists and art history students) who are well known for having little technical and - business sense who buy apple for looks not being hindered by any hardware knowledge.
Wow, now that’s not only so far off you can’t climb back, but completely ridiculous :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
From a north american viewpoint.. Thew more sensible Europeans here never bought into the apple hype except for the artsy people (mainly artists and art history students) who are well known for having little technical and - business sense who buy apple for looks not being hindered by any hardware knowledge.
For 40 years I have been telling people.....

Figure out what you want to do.
Find the software to do it.
Make sure that it fits your budget and you have someone to ask for support.
Find the hardware to run it on.

Mac or PC is the last thing to ask, not the first

Upvote 0
For 40 years I have been telling people.....

Figure out what you want to do.
Find the software to do it.
Make sure that it fits your budget and you have someone to ask for support.
Find the hardware to run it on.

Mac or PC is the last thing to ask, not the first

PC building has been a great hobby of mine for some 25 years , much longer than any photography..
It is easy to get equal performance at half the price, or much better performance at a similar price point than a mac. Using either windows, or different flavors of linux. much more flexibility and you can save a lot you can spend towards e..g. glass by not jumping on the money milking imac bandwagon

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
PC building has been a great hobby of mine for some 25 years , much longer than any photography..
It is easy to get equal performance at half the price, or much better performance at a similar price point than a mac. Using either windows, or different flavors of linux. much more flexibility and you can save a lot you can spend towards e..g. glass by not jumping on the money milking imac bandwagon
I use both a MacBook Pro and a home built PC. I use the Mac for everyday tasks like word processing, spreadsheets, calendars, address book, etc, etc.
I use the PC for the heavier duty photo editing and processor intensive tasks.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Mac broke into the college market in the 1980s by giving academics a 40% discount on desktops, including peripherals such as laser printers, which were horribly expensive otherwise. Software became available early on for Macs that allowed composing of chemical structures. Macs became the mainstay of chemists and biologists, as well as creative artists, whereas PCs tended to be used by number crunchers, physicists and engineers, as well as the university administrators who used business software. Apple did some very important things early on by insisting that software used the same keyboard shortcuts etc so it was simpler to use different packages without referring to manuals. Accordingly, geeks preferred PCs in the early days because they required more technical expertise.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LOL

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
So now is Apple is king of two niches. Good for them.

I spent half my career within walking distance of a college campus.

15 or 20 years ago the campus here discouraged the use of Macs. The musicians and most of the scientists told the tech folks they didn’t care about that, they would do their own support. So it depends what half of your career was spent where.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Mac broke into the college market in the 1980s by giving academics a 40% discount on desktops, including peripherals such as laser printers, which were horribly expensive otherwise. Software became available early on for Macs that allowed composing of chemical structures. Macs became the mainstay of chemists and biologists, as well as creative artists, whereas PCs tended to be used by number crunchers, physicists and engineers, as well as the university administrators who used business software. Apple did some very important things early on by insisting that software used the same keyboard shortcuts etc so it was simpler to use different packages without referring to manuals. Accordingly, geeks preferred PCs in the early days because they required more technical expertise.
The stereotype in the olden days was that Macs were for people who did stuff with their computers; PCs were for folks who did stuff to their computers. Reality now is that most software that was developed for Macs has been ported to PCs and now Windows, and runs about as identically as possible, with some adjustment between Command and Control keys.

But all this Mac and PC stuff is veering way too off topic. Looking at different business models was sort of to the point many messages back. I don’t see the point of defensiveness over brands, like a kind of tribalism. Buy and use what you want. I don’t care what you use and see no reason to care. For a while on this board I kept seeing messages from folks who were ready to “jump ship.” I don’t think I’m on a ship. I have Sony products in several rooms of the house. I just don’t happen to own any of their cameras.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
15 or 20 years ago the campus here discouraged the use of Macs. The musicians and most of the scientists told the tech folks they didn’t care about that, they would do their own support. So it depends what half of your career was spent where.

I live within walking distance of a college for 8 years, and one bus trip away from a university for additional 5. beside the occasional hipster with a Mac seating next to me in a restaurant or coffeehouse, haven't seen any.

Upvote 0