We think it’s almost a sure thing Canon will announce a pro EOS R body in 2020

A matter of perspective I guess, looking at the 5D series the very high resolution sensor bodies were not the best selling items, and in terms of priorities the R series needs ASAP a 5D mk5 market segment body with the IBIS capability linked to a modern (i.e. more recent than the 5D Mk 4) dual pixel sensor, eventually with a very high resolution fast-reacting EVP. Dual cards is a hot topic ( not for me but it seems to be on many people's "must have" list) and faster continuous shooting (8-10 fps?) also. I associate very high resolution bodies with studio / tripod work using L primes and TS-E lenses, of which there are few in the RF lineup so far. Apart from the brilliant 50 and 85 primes most of the announcements for new lenses are zooms (trinity or not) for which the action camera is better suited.
They don't need to worry about readout speed and fast tracking/focusing with an Rs camera. Once they have the sensor that can pump out that much detail they can plug it in to the regular R for the most part. But you can rest assured the Rx will come to market as soon as they possibly can. Canon knows the clock is ticking, even if they didn't seem to care about it 2 years ago. Sony has certainly lit a fire under that, but new sensor designs don't happen overnight.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
A matter of perspective I guess, looking at the 5D series the very high resolution sensor bodies were not the best selling items, and in terms of priorities the R series needs ASAP a 5D mk5 market segment body with the IBIS capability linked to a modern (i.e. more recent than the 5D Mk 4) dual pixel sensor, eventually with a very high resolution fast-reacting EVP. Dual cards is a hot topic ( not for me but it seems to be on many people's "must have" list) and faster continuous shooting (8-10 fps?) also. I associate very high resolution bodies with studio / tripod work using L primes and TS-E lenses, of which there are few in the RF lineup so far. Apart from the brilliant 50 and 85 primes most of the announcements for new lenses are zooms (trinity or not) for which the action camera is better suited.

I seriously doubt (One never really knows does one) that Canon will be introducing any long primes or TSE lenses in the near future as they were pretty much all upgraded relatively recently. I am sure those updates were done while the RF mount was being developed. Not sure that one would gain a lot if anything using an RF mount in these lenses vs and adapted EF version. Perhaps the 400mm and 600mm for sports with the additional data connections might gain something but what I don't know.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
Ok, wait until 2020 to release, but don't wait until 2020 to announce it. I'd like to compare Sony's a9ii to Canon's pro offering. A 2020 announcement is ridiculous. You wonder why Sony is chomping up Canon's market share.

I believe Sony is actually chomping up Nikon market share.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I sold my Canon 7D in hopes of getting the Mark iv. Then I read an article that stated the industry is moving away from DSLR, this was two years and little did I know I'd still waiting on Canon to get its act together.
Yea, the rumor mill can do that, and i've been tempted to make similar decisions. I bought a 5D iv 2 years ago instead of waiting for a 5Dsr ii and continue to use it today. Nothing wrong with it at all - it's a fantastic camera. My needs aren't completely dependent on the higher resolution body, so the 5D iv does a fine job - I'd just like more cropping power than 30MP offers with the same sensor performance that the 5D iv delivers. I get into the high-iso territory on the 5D iv regularly and the 5Dsr just doesn't go high enough for my needs, so I'm left waiting for a camera that doesn't exist. With no idea of whether or not the next high-resolution body will fill the need for me, I am content to use the 5D iv until a better option exists - I'm not in a rush. I'm a big believer in investing in what works now rather than waiting and not taking photos, especially when you're not 100% sure of what's coming next!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Yea, the rumor mill can do that, and i've been tempted to make similar decisions. I bought a 5D iv 2 years ago instead of waiting for a 5Dsr ii and continue to use it today. Nothing wrong with it at all - it's a fantastic camera. My needs aren't completely dependent on the higher resolution body, so the 5D iv does a fine job - I'd just like more cropping power than 30MP offers with the same sensor performance that the 5D iv delivers. I get into the high-iso territory on the 5D iv regularly and the 5Dsr just doesn't go high enough for my needs, so I'm left waiting for a camera that doesn't exist. With no idea of whether or not the next high-resolution body will fill the need for me, I am content to use the 5D iv until a better option exists - I'm not in a rush. I'm a big believer in investing in what works now rather than waiting and not taking photos, especially when you're not 100% sure of what's coming next!
Oh, I'm taking photos I have a Fujifilm X-T3, which for now is fine.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
I am thinking/hoping the 202 date is because they are planning a profoundly dramatic introduction.

The Sony A7IV and the now rumored Nikon Z8 at 60MP imply the incremental approach is poor idea.
I am thinking that 70MP plus some real DR/noise improvements coupled with possibly innovative shutter tech and upgrades to the UX and ergonomics are in order. One can also hope for connectivity upgrades to simplify wireless connection and a proper, full featured app to control it.

And for good measure, some image processing modes that give me jpgs that rival what I get out of my phone.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
I just hope they bring something to compete against the D850.... Still a near perfect camera in my eyes, even after 2 years.

They way I know Canon though, I wouldn't be surprised if they released a MP Monster with bad low light capabilites and an extremly expensive 1D version with high frame rates at about 30MP....

At this point, I would already be happy if they'd just come up with something that Nikon shooters have had for the last 2 years... I don't even expect something better anymore.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Wouldn't a 1dx III DSLR make more sense for the Olympics? Pros, media, sports journalists still have Canon glass.
I believe the assumption is that Canon will release a 1Dx III in time for the 2020 Olympics and release an "Rx" as well. It's likely that professionals will stick with the 1Dx but Canon can promote the Rx as a second body. There are advantages to both form factors, so I imagine Canon will offer both for the foreseeable future. Canon seems to be playing the long game...starting to offer R mount lenses, but knowing full well that so long as their professional users are using both DSLR and mirrorless bodies, sales of R lenses will be limited. They probably want to get a Rx into the hands of professionals so that it can be field tested and refined for future generations.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Saying there are more hints and then not sharing them is cruel!;)

It'll be interesting to see how these new cameras perform - it has seemed to me that the xxD series bodies have often been a precursor for several features which end up on the next 5 series body. With that said, I'm keen to learn more about the high resolution body - I was waiting on the 5DsR II, so its transition to mirrorless means that it would likely be my entry point to the R system.
I only have the R, but besides the megapixel bump over the 5D Mark III, the R is very good on the focus end of things. My keeper rate has really gone up.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Why do you say that and what numbers do you have to back it up? Certainly in my experiences (which are not necessarily representative of the market as a whole) the 5Ds and 5DsR were very well received. Indeed there were reports from retailers that the 5DsR was in very short supply for quite a while after release as sales well outstripped projections. Indeed both cameras have held their retail price well into their life cycles and considering they are based on the older 5D MkIII and not the 5D MkIV it makes the prices even more surprising.

Further, the prices recently have taken a very steep down tick especially from the eBay clearing houses. This is normally a clear and early sign something new is close.

From a financial perspective I can see Canon moving the 5Ds/R to RF to pull those users to the new system, and release a 5D MkV shortly after the 1DX MkIII to keep people buying both systems.

Upvote 0
I only have the R, but besides the megapixel bump over the 5D Mark III, the R is very good on the focus end of things. My keeper rate has really gone up.
I've actually considered the R as a potential backup to my 5D IV - frankly getting the same 5D iv sensor for almost $1k less in a body which uses the same battery is an attractive proposition on its own! I've almost dropped my 5D IV off of a few cliffs and I'm just waiting or the day where it actually goes over and I'm left with no camera on hand when I need it. I think in the end I will wait and see what the high resolution body looks like, and maybe the 5D IV becomes the backup to that. If it isn't what I'm after, then odds are I'll pick up an R and that will be the backup for the foreseeable future.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
They don't need to worry about readout speed and fast tracking/focusing with an Rs camera. Once they have the sensor that can pump out that much detail they can plug it in to the regular R for the most part. But you can rest assured the Rx will come to market as soon as they possibly can. Canon knows the clock is ticking, even if they didn't seem to care about it 2 years ago. Sony has certainly lit a fire under that, but new sensor designs don't happen overnight.
You're right!
And industrialization of a new body can't be achieved in a matter of weeks (development, tooling, testing, training etc...).

Upvote 0
Why do you say that and what numbers do you have to back it up? Certainly in my experiences (which are not necessarily representative of the market as a whole) the 5Ds and 5DsR were very well received. Indeed there were reports from retailers that the 5DsR was in very short supply for quite a while after release as sales well outstripped projections. Indeed both cameras have held their retail price well into their life cycles and considering they are based on the older 5D MkIII and not the 5D MkIV it makes the prices even more surprising.

Further, the prices recently have taken a very steep down tick especially from the eBay clearing houses. This is normally a clear and early sign something new is close.

From a financial perspective I can see Canon moving the 5Ds/R to RF to pull those users to the new system, and release a 5D MkV shortly after the 1DX MkIII to keep people buying both systems.
Hard to believe that it's already been 3 years since the 5D IV was released - I guess on the usual 4 year cycle we'd be looking at summer/fall next year for 5DV. Either way, I'm betting the 90D will give us a peek at what's planned. I'm wondering about a hybrid viewfinder - I could see that being an interesting selling feature.

Upvote 0