We think it’s almost a sure thing Canon will announce a pro EOS R body in 2020

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
Yep, it is always an eternal wait with Canon, No answer to D750, no contest to D850, A7r3, no 200-600mm, etc. All their innovation ends in patents. For Canon to wake up their rear end should be set on fire. That is not happening at all, Canon keep gaining market share. So they have no reason to deliver a revolutionary product at all. Keep doing the same non sense Canon luck is fully in your favor!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Yep, it is always an eternal wait with Canon, No answer to D750, no contest to D850, A7r3, no 200-600mm, etc. All their innovation ends in patents. For Canon to wake up their rear end should be set on fire. That is not happening at all, Canon keep gaining market share. So they have no reason to deliver a revolutionary product at all. Keep doing the same non sense Canon luck is fully in your favor!!!
They are in business to make money , not to make our dream camera come true.

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
C Tographer said:

I want a 5D equivalent in RF mount. The current R doesn't cut it.

I want full-frame video. I want sophisticated video control. Waveform monitors. Log output, or even raw. The wait is hard.

It's already here except for the second card slot. It's called "R".

Sorry, but no.

The R does not shoot raw video. It shoots 8 bit 4:2:0.

AFAIK it does not have a waveform monitor - which is near essential for properly judging exposure for chromakeying among other things.

And the 4K crop is nothing like Full Frame.

You can get those things in a camera today, but your options are the Arri Alexa 65, Red Monstro, Sony Venice (with external recorder for RAW), or Canon C700FF (with codex recorder for RAW). All of which are high end cinema cameras costing between $40 and 128k, not mirrorless still/hybrid cameras available for $2/3k.

I'd wager that 95% of those who profess to want such things wouldn't be able to cope with the workflow anyway - shooting S35 4K RAW on a C200, a 256GB CFAST card gives you half an hour of footage. Securely storing that kind of volume of data isn't a problem if you have a 120TB video editing server, but if you're not a post production house you dont have one.

I guess if all you're doing is articulating weird 'i want' filled tech-based wet dreams that kind of practical point doesn't matter though.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Sorry, but no.

AFAIK it does not have a waveform monitor - which is near essential for properly judging exposure for chromakeying among other things.

You can get those things in a camera today, but your options are the Arri Alexa 65, Red Monstro, Sony Venice (with external recorder for RAW), or Canon C700FF (with codex recorder for RAW). All of which are high end cinema cameras costing between $40 and 128k, not mirrorless still/hybrid cameras available for $2/3k.

I'd wager that 95% of those who profess to want such things wouldn't be able to cope with the workflow anyway - shooting S35 4K RAW on a C200, a 256GB CFAST card gives you half an hour of footage. Securely storing that kind of volume of data isn't a problem if you have a 120TB video editing server, but if you're not a post production house you dont have one.

I guess if all you're doing is articulating weird 'i want' filled tech-based wet dreams that kind of practical point doesn't matter though.
WTF are you guys making? I mean all the video whining here on CR, just what video content are you NYU grads creating? The video crying is soooo old. It's obvious Canon isn't giving you what you want, it's been this way for years so my question is, why are you holding on, begging, wishing, wanting and complaining? Get the Sony you jabber on about incessantly and create this wondrous movie art in glorious 4/8k. The world awaits your masterpiece. Btw, Canon cameras are great for stills.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

Romain

Click by chance, everyday...
Dec 20, 2016
I JUST STICK WITH MY 70D AND MY 6D1. OTHERS STICK WITH THEIR 60D AND THEIR 5D3 OR 2... WE WANT A DSLR 90D, A 6D3, AND A 5D5!!!!!! W DNT GV A FCK ABT THE 80D, 6D2, 5D4 AND OTHERS ML APS-C AND ML FF BODIES... I HAVE EF-S, EF AND EF-L LENSES. WE NEED 10 YEARS AT LEAST TO SPEND THE MONEY CANON WANT FROM US TO CHANGE FOR A NEW MOUNT AND NEW ATTRACTIVES BODIES, DESPITE THE ADAPTER ( LENGTH AND WEIGHT ISSUES...) DSLR MARKET IS THE NEAR FUTURE... ARE THEY STUPID? NOW, THEY MASTER THE DSLR GAME BECAUSE THEY ARE LATE!.. I REPEAT, ARE THEY STUPID???..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Geez .. at this rate maybe I should buy the 28-70mm and just start saving all over again for a "pro" R body ...

Honestly, the R is so good to shoot with, and I do have a 2 card 5DS .. I could find the best deal possible and buy another EOS R for a 3rd body. I use 2 bodes and the M5 doesn't really cut it for a 3rd body at weddings.

Had really hoped another RF would become available this fall or winter.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Sorry, but no.

True, it doesn't matter. He'll never, ever get that in a 5D series. Sounds like he needs a second mortgage. ;) For a second there I thought he said he wanted a 5D series equivalent (Where I stopped reading) ... which at this point is the R. Actually better. Had my Los Angeles Rams been able to move the goal posts like that, they'd have won the Super Bowl and I'd be married to... well, can't mention her name (court order). :p Sorry. I should have read better. I didn't know 5D Series equivalent meant "Arri Alexa 65, Red Monstro, Sony Venice, Canon C700" specs. Silly me. The 5D series is stills oriented. That's what I get for never shooting video. ;) Never looked at the R video specs. because they don't matter to me. I use a Sony Handycam for that. Getting hard to find tapes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I doubt it.

Canon currently offers four full frame DSLRs:
1Dx
5D
5Ds
6D

They currently offer two full frame R bodies:
R
RP

In a shrinking ILC market, it's unlikely we will see five mirrorless full frame bodies.

It is much more realistic to expect an "Rx" and an "Rs"

From a market segment standpoint, Canon has slotted the RP below the 6D in price but targeted it to roughly the same buyers. They have slotted the R just below the 5D but targeted it to the same buyers.

I would not be surprised to see the Rs slotted in as a direct replacement for the 5Ds (highest resolution sensor on the market).

I expect the Rx to fall somewhere between the 5D and 1Dx, but much closer to the 1Dx, just as the current R is only slightly under the 5D series. This will leave Canon with three full frame DSLRs (once they stop producing the 5Ds) and four R bodies.

Those looking for an R equivalent to the 5D will need to accept that they must either go up in price and specs to the Rx, buy the high resolution Rs or quit whining about dual card slots and accept the current R, which is a very capable companion to the 5D.

The R II might be the 5D replacement. I doubt Canon would neglect that market segment.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Right now Sony is the only market for prosumer/pro mirrorless cameras. Canon has already stated they are coming out with such a camera.
Every non-phone camera now is a prosumer camera. So, Canon and other camera manufacturers have plenty of prosumer mirrorless and prosumer DSLRs. What makes you think that it's a mirrorless equivalent of D1X that will somehow change the market?

Upvote 0
Apr 1, 2016

Depends on your needs; I always used the 5D bodies which are a great compromise between small size, pro features and the perfect file size for events. A D750 is positioned below that, a D850 above it (not sure about the mraw capabilities of this thing but I'd rather not shoot an event netting >5000 images on a day with it). When the 5D IV was released, it was IMO the best pro body available that was compact (more compact than 1D or D5 series).

A 200-600 is nice, but the 100-400 is IQ-wise better probably.

The fact that other brands are making certain choices doesn't mean Canon has to follow that same path.

When someone would say Canon in the past couple of years is not leading in tech push is probably right, but I can see them getting back in the game. About 18 months ago or so, we saw some interviews with officials of the company saying Canon would be focussing more on R&D and innovation; it could well be that we'll see the results of that in the coming years. I certainly hope so!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*crickets* yeah, that's what I thought

Sorry I was sleeping. The original comment also metioned Canon's market share and not Nikon's, but whatever. And I'm sure an A9II would have little impact on Sony's marketshare, just like a 1DXIII will have little impact on Canon's. So sure, Canon seems to ship out lots of M50s and rebels, and they probably also sell quite a few of them.
But what I would really like to know is how many of those f1.2 RF lenses they sold. Or how many 7dIIs they sold over the last 2 years. But you don't get any of those numbers only produced and shipped cameras, if somebody buys them or not. And if Sony will increase it's market share, it will undoubtedly eat away from Canon as well, not just Nikon.

I would really like to see rumours about a 50 1.4 EF or that elusive 200-600mm. Or just something else than only "Canon may release something next year, maybe." But I guess there is not much to report right now and if there would be, the rumors would be so far off, that most people would be disappointed by the real product. Again.

PS: I also don't get the obsession with market share. As if a bigger market share means that the products by that company are better. They are cheaper. That's it mostly. That's why more burgers are sold than lobsters, and more Honda Civics than Mercedes S-Class cars. Is Market share really the only thing Canon fans can be proud about? Oh, and of course: colour science. Anyway, I'm out using my 7DII. Bye.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but no.

If videos is the only concern the Sigma fp would tick some of those boxes...

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
If videos is the only concern the Sigma fp would tick some of those boxes...

It might, but the camera isn't out and Sigma mention a 1.5x crop in their promotional materials. In which case it would be one of many S35 cameras to shoot raw video rather one of the few FF35 cameras to do so.

There are all manner of cameras that do some of the things listed. And very few that do all of them.

Upvote 0
So guys, do you think the RX will be a baby 1dx II or a baby 1dx III ..?

Ok 1dx II is amazing in every way possible, but do you think Canon will once again kind of "hold back" on the RX series to keep some sort of market shares in the DSLR world ?

I'm really worried that they would do something like that

I want my EOS RX to be at least as good as Sonys, if not groundbreaking.. Is it too much to ask you think ?

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
... I want my EOS RX to be at least as good as Sonys, if not groundbreaking.. Is it too much to ask you think ?...

Sounds like you are better of with Sony. Why holding back if you can delve into the Sony awesomeness already today.

Seriously though, if you cannot “produce” amazing photos with 1DX II or 5D4 then something is wrong and that isn’t your canon camera.
If only I can use RF 28-70/2.0 on 1DXIi or 5D4, I would not be thinking of upgrading to Canon R system.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I JUST STICK WITH MY 70D AND MY 6D1. OTHERS STICK WITH THEIR 60D AND THEIR 5D3 OR 2... WE WANT A DSLR 90D, A 6D3, AND A 5D5!!!!!! W DNT GV A FCK ABT THE 80D, 6D2, 5D4 AND OTHERS ML APS-C AND ML FF BODIES... I HAVE EF-S, EF AND EF-L LENSES. WE NEED 10 YEARS AT LEAST TO SPEND THE MONEY CANON WANT FROM US TO CHANGE FOR A NEW MOUNT AND NEW ATTRACTIVES BODIES, DESPITE THE ADAPTER ( LENGTH AND WEIGHT ISSUES...) DSLR MARKET IS THE NEAR FUTURE... ARE THEY STUPID? NOW, THEY MASTER THE DSLR GAME BECAUSE THEY ARE LATE!.. I REPEAT, ARE THEY STUPID???..

Really, its 2019 and people are still using capslock on forum posts like it's 1996 again? I couldn't bear trying to read this, I'm sure it was insightful, but I'll never know because it's painful to look at.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
And if Sony will increase it's market share, it will undoubtedly eat away from Canon as well, not just Nikon.

PS: I also don't get the obsession with market share. As if a bigger market share means that the products by that company are better. They are cheaper. That's it mostly. That's why more burgers are sold than lobsters, and more Honda Civics than Mercedes S-Class cars. Is Market share really the only thing Canon fans can be proud about? Oh, and of course: colour science. Anyway, I'm out using my 7DII. Bye.
Except that’s not what the data show. I don’t get why people think that if they repeat false statements over and over on the internet, it somehow makes them true.

PS: I don’t get the people obsessed with claiming that ‘Canon is doomed’ or ‘everyone is switching to Sony’. Market share means that people who make such claims have difficulty grasping reality.

Upvote 0