We think it’s almost a sure thing Canon will announce a pro EOS R body in 2020

Appreciate your input. First, let me make it clear that I have been a Canon user since 1987 and I don't own any Fujicisony wonderba camera gear. That being said, I do judge the R system based on "these two bodies", as you refer to them, because that's all they have, currently. I'm not saying they are not good cameras but they don't fit my needs and they don't work for me. Also, it is not my fault that Canon, almost completely ignored the mirrorless threat, primarily from Sony, for a long long time. Whether the reason was just hoping mirrorless offerings were just a temporary fad and would go away or they were resting on the success of their DSLR offerings, or some other reason, unknown to me, the fact is, they were caught completely off guard by how successful mirrorless body sales were changing the market. So, if they only finally did something about FF mirrorless offerings a year ago, primarily to stop brand defections, that is their fault. They certainly have had the know how, the resources and the qualified engineers for more than a year but failed to take advantage of them. During those years of debate, I would certainly have been thrilled to sit behind closed doors with any of the product development teams at Canon and just listened to the dialogue of verbal volleyball, justifying why they weren't ready to pursue mirrorless cameras, full frame or otherwise. Apparently, they were content to just read Sony's annual financial report, ignoring the resounding success of mirrorless camera sales and profits shown year after year, until they finally saw they were missing out, as DSLR sales continued to slide. Let me make it clear that I love my Canon gear but am most disappointed that I might have to wait a year or more for that Pro R body. In the meantime, it gives me great pleasure that you and others are most happy with your R's performance. Since I am spending my money on any new eqpt and not yours', I'll just wait, optimistically but with guarded anticipation.
Wow! This sums it up to a T. Couldn't agree more.

Upvote 0
If a news site were to see this, the news nugget that would make the headline is this: "Primary Rumor Site Regarding Canon Unsure Pro Body Coming Before 2021". Given that the average Canon Rumors rumor gets launch dates wrong by estimating things will happen much too early, this is clearly the notable bit.

It is evidence that either Canon is quite far behind or that at least its communications have been adequately muddy that Canon gear heads will be tempted to run a secondary system. I say this as a happy A9 owner who is contemplating selling my 1DX2 and 500mm II (which doesn't autofocus as well as the Sony, since the A9's 5.0 firmware upgrade) in favor of a FE 600mm, which would push the center of gravity of my gear over to Sony.

With stories like these, I figure I can always buy back into Canon in 2021 or 2022 when we finally see what's on offer. I suspect that Canon will pull some rabbit out of a hat, but in the meantime will enjoy eye-AF tracking at 20 yards; autofocusing on distant birds below the tree line; and 61 megapixels at 10 frames per second while I wait. Wish instead I could use that new RF glass on something other than a mirrorless 5D4 hobbled to 3 fps with AF-C.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
If a news site were to see this, the news nugget that would make the headline is this: "Primary Rumor Site Regarding Canon Unsure Pro Body Coming Before 2021". Given that the average Canon Rumors rumor gets launch dates wrong by estimating things will happen much too early, this is clearly the notable bit.

It is evidence that either Canon is quite far behind or that at least its communications have been adequately muddy that Canon gear heads will be tempted to run a secondary system. I say this as a happy A9 owner who is contemplating selling my 1DX2 and 500mm II (which doesn't autofocus as well as the Sony, since the A9's 5.0 firmware upgrade) in favor of a FE 600mm, which would push the center of gravity of my gear over to Sony.

With stories like these, I figure I can always buy back into Canon in 2021 or 2022 when we finally see what's on offer. I suspect that Canon will pull some rabbit out of a hat, but in the meantime will enjoy eye-AF tracking at 20 yards; autofocusing on distant birds below the tree line; and 61 megapixels at 10 frames per second while I wait. Wish instead I could use that new RF glass on something other than a mirrorless 5D4 hobbled to 3 fps with AF-C.
Please, let us know when you list the 500 II as there are many happy Canon users here that might give you a few hundred for such obsolete gear.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
PS: I also don't get the obsession with market share. As if a bigger market share means that the products by that company are better. They are cheaper. That's it mostly. That's why more burgers are sold than lobsters, and more Honda Civics than Mercedes S-Class cars. Is Market share really the only thing Canon fans can be proud about? Oh, and of course: colour science. Anyway, I'm out using my 7DII. Bye.

You're not the first person to make this mistake but let me spell it out clearly: nobody here (that I've seen) is saying they're proud because of Canon's market share. It's brought up regularly because people - usually new accounts - pop up all the time saying 'if Canon doesn't do X (usually release a direct competitor with their rivals' latest cameras, or the camera that particular person wants), then Sony/Nikon/etc will topple them', and it's like - no, people have been saying this for years and it hasn't happened. Canon's strategy may often perplex, but it clearly works for them. Market figures are a reminder of reality - that for whatever reason, sales don't follow these forum trends (for higher DR/4K/whatever the latest obsession is). And in the end, sales are what keeps them afloat.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
You're not the first person to make this mistake but let me spell it out clearly: nobody here (that I've seen) is saying they're proud because of Canon's market share. It's brought up regularly because people - usually new accounts - pop up all the time saying 'if Canon doesn't do X (usually release a direct competitor with their rivals' latest cameras, or the camera that particular person wants), then Sony/Nikon/etc will topple them', and it's like - no, people have been saying this for years and it hasn't happened. Canon's strategy may often perplex, but it clearly works for them. Market figures are a reminder of reality - that for whatever reason, sales don't follow these forum trends (for higher DR/4K/whatever the latest obsession is). And in the end, sales are what keeps them afloat.

While I agree with what you are saying, I must add a "past performance is no guarantee of future results".

Upvote 0
While I agree with what you are saying, I must add a "past performance is no guarantee of future results".

That's always true but as a standalone phrase pretty useless and potentially misleading. Past performance is no guarantee of future results but it can be a good indicator of the future nonetheless. Clearly businesses of any size can fail, and naysayers love to bring up Blackberry, Nokia, and Kodak (however flawed it is to even describe them as 'failures') as analogies. But if a company has maintained or even improved its position in a market year on year for a decade and a half - despite numerous shocks and changes to the landscape, competitors bringing out exciting products, etc - then I think it can be said that the approach they have taken is successful. Nothing lasts forever, but people have been claiming Sony (especially) are about to eat Canon's lunch for years and years - and it hasn't happened. What those people need to explain is, why now? Why this new Sony body?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Nothing lasts forever, but people have been claiming Sony (especially) are about to eat Canon's lunch for years and years - and it hasn't happened. What those people need to explain is, why now? Why this new Sony body?
5 years ago I coined YAPODFC.

Canon is still here...and still the ILC market leader.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Je pense qu'il est nécessaire d'intégrer la 2ème carte SD dans la poignée afin de ne pas augmenter le prix du futur Eos r et sa dimension alors n'hésitez pas à la possibilité d'ajouter cette option
I think many folks would think the grip would be better suited for a battery hence the size. Both?

Upvote 0

Jerryrigged

CANON EOS R & 5D IV
Jul 15, 2016
California
Sorry, but no.

The R does not shoot raw video. It shoots 8 bit 4:2:0.

AFAIK it does not have a waveform monitor - which is near essential for properly judging exposure for chromakeying among other things.

And the 4K crop is nothing like Full Frame.

You can get those things in a camera today, but your options are the Arri Alexa 65, Red Monstro, Sony Venice (with external recorder for RAW), or Canon C700FF (with codex recorder for RAW). All of which are high end cinema cameras costing between $40 and 128k, not mirrorless still/hybrid cameras available for $2/3k.

I'd wager that 95% of those who profess to want such things wouldn't be able to cope with the workflow anyway - shooting S35 4K RAW on a C200, a 256GB CFAST card gives you half an hour of footage. Securely storing that kind of volume of data isn't a problem if you have a 120TB video editing server, but if you're not a post production house you dont have one.

I guess if all you're doing is articulating weird 'i want' filled tech-based wet dreams that kind of practical point doesn't matter though.

For about the same price as a 5D4, you can get an EOS R plus an Atomos Ninja V. That gives you your 10-bit 4:2:2, and waveform monitors. However, the 1080p out of the EOS R and 5D4 look so good, I don't really have to shoot in 4K except for the flexibility in post. Full frame 4K would be nice, but with a range of fast primes, and good zooms, I can get about any field of view I want. Oh, and with a 1TB SSD costing just over $100, I can record for a pretty long time!

Upvote 0
I've been traveling around in Maine in September, when I'd see signboards outside of restaurants along the way. They offered two whole lobsters for some ridiculously small price, by my perception at the time. That may have been the trip when I had lobster in some form at every meal in Maine, including the McLobster sandwich at McDonald's in Freeport.

I'm used to lobsters being somewhat expensive, largely because of shipping costs. They used to keep a few live ones in tanks at the grocery stores around here, but I haven't noticed them lately.
Lobsters used to be fed to prisoners for multiple meals a day in colonial New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Maine(part of Massachusetts then) because they were so plentiful and relatively easy to harvest. Dunno about butter tho.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
The
Lobsters used to be fed to prisoners for multiple meals a day in colonial New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Maine(part of Massachusetts then) because they were so plentiful and relatively easy to harvest. Dunno about butter tho.
There was a law passed back in the 1800’s where I used to live that you could only feed slaves lobster a maximum of three days a week instead of everyday, because it was so plentiful and cheap to harvest. It wasn’t because of any kind of benevolent thought either, the driving force was uncontrollable unrest amongst the slaves demanding a more varied diet!

I worry about humankind sometimes so I come here to hear how Canon is doomed and Sony is king of everything. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
For about the same price as a 5D4, you can get an EOS R plus an Atomos Ninja V. That gives you your 10-bit 4:2:2, and waveform monitors. However, the 1080p out of the EOS R and 5D4 look so good, I don't really have to shoot in 4K except for the flexibility in post. Full frame 4K would be nice, but with a range of fast primes, and good zooms, I can get about any field of view I want. Oh, and with a 1TB SSD costing just over $100, I can record for a pretty long time!

Sure, but compressed 1080p is not very similar to 4k raw.

Your response to my post about apples is about carrots, which might be what you like, but please don't confuse the two.

Upvote 0
With all this said for work horse tool use....(Not sure about the A9)
Sony A7RII has been sent to repair of USB port, SD card slot, and sloppy lens mount already. This was about $900 in repair.
The lens mount still often doesn't read the electronics, and when the camera bugs out, I have to shut down and reboot for it to recognize the right settings, which I need to do also with a flash trigger on the hot shoe. Then you have the menu system....
So, maybe this is why a lot of us are just holding out on a new Canon 5D series equal. I sure am, yes with more mpixels, yes with AA OPTIONAL sensor. Without that, I am afraid I am back on a new Sony. In Studio, and where these pixels will count, we simply need the AA off. I would be fine with a 40mpixel and then a proper pixelshift option I can check focus of once captured.

Now I have babied that Sony camera, and I have no idea how those things I mention above managed to not work. On the other hand I have abused my 5DMII(for many years now), and my 5DMIII(for a number of years) with neither of them needing anything(Admit, I hated the Er codes I would get on the 5DM2 at one point, which are gone).... I did manage to drop my 5DM2 in a river. I sent it to Canon, and within days I had a perfectly functioning camera under $500 in repair of a main board, etc.

So if Canon can deliver such on a Eos or R...I would go for it, but those are deal breakers. It maybe that I just stick to the 5DM3 for events, and another Sony for a hybrid studio/Event camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0