We were wrong, all of your Canon mirrorless dreams are likely coming true soon

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
Sorry, dude. Missed that.

If hybrid/dual VF could come together and not ridiculously complicated or awkward ergonomically (changing which opening you put your eye to), then sign me up. OVF for demanding AF work or for saving battery power, EVF for the handheld manual focusing, silent shooting, etc.

That'd be great.

- A
how do you have OVF without a mirror, pellicle or flipping...?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
how do you have OVF without a mirror, pellicle or flipping...?

One idea: The OVF doesn't have to be in the light path:

(See how that works here (jump to 0:40))​
fujifilm_16536556_x_pro2_mirrorless_digital_camera_1307717.jpg
Second idea: It's an SLR but with the flip of a switch, the mirror locks up and the EVF (or even a side by side EVF/OVF, if you like) kicks in, effectively pumping Liveview to the viewfinder.

- A

Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
I have 3 Cameras, one with DPAF, which is nearly all I could could want in a DSLR vs. Video Cam. I have 8 lenses, ALL EF mount, albeit ef or ef-s. I have zero issues with a mirror, nor have I since 1974 when I bought my first Canon camera. I do not see why this whole "rush" to mirrorless even exists. Weight? New Technology?
Competition?
I have made a living using my Canon 35mm, then on to EOS AF Digital. You can create all the newness you want, I am never going to give it all up. I walk around Watkins Glen this summer at the 6 hour endurance race. There were more folks with Canon than all the rest added together. There were as many "big whites" as who knows. Why give up something that works.
Many have said, the best camera is the one in your hands. I see zero reasons, regardless of the technology, competition or future, to empty my backpack of those three cameras and 8 lenses for anything, and spend 10-50k on starting over.
Canon... all I wish for is more lenses that are lighter, and clean HDMI on everything. My only dreams are to able to carry more on my shoulder or in my hands, with attached monopods, and the ability to record video externally on some other devices.

Fully agree. Still, there are some things where mirrorless and EVF can help:
- very low light "easy" framing
- wider AF spread
- higher framerates
- smaller/lighter/cheaper short lenses
- no AFMA (my favorite)

This comes at a cost (battery is one) so I don't think we are replacing the DSLRs anytime soon but one of my cams can be a mirrorless..

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
One idea: The OVF doesn't have to be in the light path:

Second idea: It's an SLR but with the flip of a switch, the mirror locks up and the EVF (or even a side by side EVF/OVF, if you like) kicks in, effectively pumping Liveview to the viewfinder.

- A

Or the old-school way!

Attachments

• compactII9.jpg
    compactII9.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
In the picture above, if canon made a new version of this lens that extended inward the outside portion of the lens could essentially be a pancake. The Sony lens mount is 46.1mm, the canon is 54mm. The diameter of the the collar itself is around 6mm. The canon would be bigger, but not nearly as much. And there are whole classes of long lenses that could get the same treatment making for a much more balanced setup.

Short lenses yea, but can you explain the classes of long lenses? Most long lenses have already a lot of air behind the rear cap...

Although to be honest I'd like to see the solution of the moving sensor. There could be some very interesting compact zooms that could be produced if the flange focusing distance was variable. That could be a game changer.

Mechanically this is nontrivial to solve but harder things have been done. The problem that I see is while you can fully utilize the space in the front of the sensor ("sans mirror"), you cant use it behind it..

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Honestly, it seems like a lot of you may benefit from just logging out for a few days and taking a breather until the camera is announced and we know for sure.

If you step back from this crazy echo chamber of outlandish rumors, it's only logical to assume that we're going to get a pretty vanilla, if solid, mirrorless camera out of Canon.

This is the camera that they're going to stake their future on, at least the first generation of it. There's not going to be some crazy hybrid OVF/EVF (even though I'd like that.) There's not going to be a wild telescoping EF mount or moving sensor that will automatically adapt to whatever lens you use.

It's just gonna be a mirrorless camera. It's gonna have a full frame sensor. It's gonna have pretty good specs. It's gonna be a worthy competitor to Nikon and Sony. YouTube reviewers will breathlessly obsess over the most minute difference in specs to attempt to determine which is the best camera, even though they're all pretty good.

There's gonna be an adapter to fit EF lenses onto whatever the new mount is, because Canon probably knew about Nikon's strategy months ago, and were not going to be caught flat footed without their own adapter to use old lenses. (They will not want to abandon all of the great EF lenses they've recently developed and released either.) The adapter is gonna work pretty well because the lens, adapter, and camera will all be made by the same manufacturer, so they'll all communicate well together.

If you think about Canon's track record for new products, it's laughable to think that we're going to see any sort of wild new technology out of this camera. That just isn't how Canon does things.

It's just gonna be a mirrorless camera. It's gonna be pretty good, and it's gonna have rock solid reliability because it's going to use a bunch of tried and true technology, and we'll all buy it because of that.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I expect they would have offered an adapter to a new mount, if forthcoming, even if nikon decided to close up shop.
Yeah, I would hope so too. But I don't think there's even a question now that Nikon has done it. There's no way that Canon would allow Nikon to exclusively have that feature.

I don't see it being some crazy telescoping mount or moving sensor though. That's just more moving parts, more complexity that could easily just be handled with an adapter. Canon does not rock the boat like that. I think it's just going to be a simple adapter.

Upvote 0
Well, it is very hard for me to believe Canon will do worse than what Nikon just released as their 1st two FF Mirror-Less cameras. Those Z 6's and 7's in my opinion are over priced and you also need to then purchase a $230.00 card to use the darn thing! I surely would never buy one even if I was a Nikon shooter; what a joke!

As I've said before on this forum, Canon doesn't need to do much to hit a home run with their 1st edition FF Mirrorless camera's.....

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Yeah, I would hope so too. But I don't think there's even a question now that Nikon has done it. There's no way that Canon would allow Nikon to exclusively have that feature.

I don't see it being some crazy telescoping mount or moving sensor though. That's just more moving parts, more complexity that could easily just be handled with an adapter. Canon does not rock the boat like that. I think it's just going to be a simple adapter.

This and your prior post are correct -- I largely agree. But riffing on what they might do is kinda fun.

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Yeah I know, and the site is Canon Rumors, so I guess what else can I really expect. I do genuinely hope for a hybrid OVF/EVF. Somebody let me try a Fuji with that, and I was blown away... All the precision and realness of an OVF, with all the enhancements of an EVF... Really cool.

But seriously, for all of our frantic hypotheses about what this camera might be, you guys know it's just going to be a standard, run of the mill, albeit good mirrorless camera, right?

I mean, you guys remember how they just announced new lenses and one of the selling features they listed was that they were a new shade of white, right? :LOL:

Canon makes great reliable products, but rapid innovators and risk takers they are not.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
I agree they won’t likely have a telescoping. Maybe a semi-permanent mount adapter with a way to align it.

Yeah I know, and the site is Canon Rumors, so I guess what else can I really expect. I do genuinely hope for a hybrid OVF/EVF. Somebody let me try a Fuji with that, and I was blown away... All the precision and realness of an OVF, with all the enhancements of an EVF... Really cool.

I found seeing the lens distracting, but it’s a neat idea.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Agree, I've been intrigued with the concept, but I love true OVF framing without a lens in the frame, and rangefinder VFs can't do that unless you dig pancakes.

I have long been interested in a fixed lens camera (X100, RX1R, Leica Q, etc.) as I'd love a smaller rig and I also happen to love the 28-35mm lenses that these things tend to have. One of these days I'll just snap one up.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I agree they won’t likely have a telescoping. Maybe a semi-permanent mount adapter with a way to align it.

We've heard it all here for bridging the thin vs. Full EF divide -- CR folks are a clever bunch:
  • Thin mount + adaptor (only)
  • Thin mount + adaptor AND Full EF mount (this is the go for the throat move)
  • Full EF mount (only) -- no need for a bridge if the other side doesn't exist...
  • Thin mount + adaptor + the option to permanently/securely bolt the adaptor to the body.
  • Moving sensor (doesn't really buy you much)
  • Telescoping mount from Full EF to thin mount
  • EF-X concept with dixie cup sized lens caps
It will be one of the first three, surely, but the discussion of all these options has been a lot of fun.

- A

Upvote 0

hmatthes

If the new mount natively accepts both traditional EF lenses as well as new "RF?" lenses, I will be a first day buyer.

There are plenty of complaints and complainers but let's compare the two offerings at $2k.
Nikon: I have a Z6 on order (soon to be cancelled, it was contingency if Canon blew it) -- Kit Z6 with 24~79 f/4, 2nd battery, XQD card, and XQD reader is $3,170 at B&H. No way to use my EF lenses.
Canon:
If the Canon is $2,000, let's say the 24~70 f/2.0 is $1,500, then I'm in for $3,500 with a much faster prime zoom. I already have lots of batteries, SD cards, and SD readers. -- optical physics suggest that f2.0 is far better for many subjects than f/4.0. And all my EF glass works as intended!

Not a tough decision any all!

Upvote 0
Short lenses yea, but can you explain the classes of long lenses? Most long lenses have already a lot of air behind the rear cap...
I guess I didn't mean 'Long' lenses, just more typical ones. I'm thinking of something like the 28-135. Right now that is a little under 100mm long when it is full retracted. There might be ways to make that same lens an extra 28mm smaller by recessing it. On long lenses like the 70-200 2.8 this wouldn't really make much of a difference, but a lens that recessed into the camera slightly would change the balance of that lens since it's not pivoted all the way out at the end.

As for possibilities if there was a variable flange distance, I'm thinking more of a DO style zoom. By knowing the sensor could move to anywhere between 16mm and 44mm away from the rear element, the glass element wouldn't always have to focus down to one spot, it would just need to make sure at any given zoom/focal point the focused image presented to the sensor would need to be between those ranges.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
If the new mount natively accepts both traditional EF lenses as well as new "RF?" lenses, I will be a first day buyer.

There are plenty of complaints and complainers but let's compare the two offerings at $2k.
Nikon: I have a Z6 on order (soon to be cancelled, it was contingency if Canon blew it) -- Kit Z6 with 24~79 f/4, 2nd battery, XQD card, and XQD reader is $3,170 at B&H. No way to use my EF lenses.
Canon:
If the Canon is $2,000, let's say the 24~70 f/2.0 is $1,500, then I'm in for $3,500 with a much faster prime zoom. I already have lots of batteries, SD cards, and SD readers. -- optical physics suggest that f2.0 is far better for many subjects than f/4.0. And all my EF glass works as intended!

Not a tough decision any all!

Love the course correction from you hmatthes, I do. But if a world's first 24-70 f/2 lens (surely L level quality, perhaps not called L if it's a new line of lenses) will cost a slight bit over $1500. :D

For perspective: the 24-70 f/2.8L II debuted at $2299, and that was six years ago. If it's real -- a constant f/2 max aperture standard zoom -- it is probably a $3k lens, but Canon might surprise us.

- A

Upvote 0

hmatthes

But if a world's first 24-70 f/2 lens (surely L level quality, perhaps not called L if it's a new line of lenses) will cost a slight bit over $1500. :D
For perspective: the 24-70 f/2.8L II debuted at $2299, and that was six years ago. If it's real -- a constant f/2 max aperture standard zoom -- it is probably a $3k lens, but Canon might surprise us.
- A
Or they might release the "kit" lens as a variable aperture, perhaps 2.0~4.5, and only charge $1,000.
I have the 24~70 f2.8L II and it is my lens choice for more than ½ my images.
If the new lens is equally big and too expensive, I'll save money by using the one I already use.
I could buy the body only for $2,000 and avoid "discussions" with my wife!

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Because otherwise your clients will look at you and laugh derisively at your outmoded, antiquated gear? ;):p
Aye, that must be it.

Lucky that they only get to see the pictures then, I suppose - then they don't have so much to grouse about...

Upvote 0