We were wrong, all of your Canon mirrorless dreams are likely coming true soon

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Over the last week or two, I have been saying that all signs point to Canon not announcing a mirrorless camera body ahead of Photokina, which begins late next month.  We mentioned this again yesterday.
All of our known sources, still maintain that they know of no mirrorless camera coming, even as recently as a few hours ago. Unknown sources have told us that a full frame mirrorless camera was coming, but history has taught us that the known is usually better than the unknown. I may have been wrong this time.

We’ve known about Canon having an announcement on September 5, 2018 (EST) for quite a while, and that has been confirmed by other sites as well.
Recently, Canon Watch posted a specification list for an upcoming full frame mirrorless camera from Canon.
We give no rating...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Nine days of guessing and nine days of getting on with my life are the same, so I'll pay more attention next Wednesday. Don't get me wrong, I'm curious, just not obsessed.

Jim

Very true, I'll likely remain obsessed until then.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
28x10 would be 33% higher throughput than the 5D4 and 63% higher throughput than the 6D2.

I expect a course correction for Canon on its throughput vs. the competition (they've gone batty there of late with 42x12, 42x10, 45x9, 24x20), but that seems a very high bump for a $1900 camera.

I'm not saying 28x10 will steal 5D4 sales or anything, I'm just saying that I find these specs more Nikon/Sony like and less Canon like.

- A

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
28x10 would be 33% higher throughput than the 5D4 and 63% higher throughput than the 6D2.

I expect a course correction for Canon on its throughput vs. the competition (they've gone batty there of late with 42x12, 42x10, 45x9, 24x20), but that seems a very high bump for a $1900 camera.

I'm not saying 28x10 will steal 5D4 sales or anything, I'm just saying that I find these specs more Nikon/Sony like and less Canon like.

- A

canon currently does 9.2 fps at 24mp on a dinky little mirrorless, so it's not that much of a stretch really.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Life goes on. Then Canon announces a FF mirrorless camera. Life again goes on.

The camera announcement is less compelling than the mount on that camera. The camera will take pictures sans a mirror. This is not a novelty. Many do. The mount on the camera might change everything, or nothing at all.

I prefer that Canon would keep the EF mount.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Canon has always been better than anyone else in getting things ready for key events. For the Brazil Olympic games they told people to fly - their cameras would be on location. And really, the new flagship was delivered to the hotel rooms just in time.

It was very unlikely that they would let Nikon steal all the marketing cream of a Photokina year. I expect this to have EF mount.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
Be still my heart...!
If a Canon FF mirrorless is less than $2k I can buy one and keep my current FF DSLRs.
For backup, I placed an order for a Z-6 which I will cancel 9/5 or so.

More than 80% of my last two years' images come from a Leica Q FF mirrorless with fixed 28mm f/1.7 -- using a WSIWYG EVF viewfinder is now all I want and an OVF feels old fashioned.

Thanks to all the folks bringing a Canon FF mirrorless to this old photographer and his EF collection!

Upvote 0
If true, then my next two questions are:
1) What mount?
2) Anything new for the sensor?

In terms of what this would cause on my part as a buyer, that depends. On the surface, I have little use for this camera. I need a high res companion for my 1Dx2, and this isn't it. However, the big brother to come may be.

If Canon can make strides with their sensor, then this camera will be enough to keep me from pairing an a7r3 with my 1Dx2. I won't buy this one, but I'll be ok with waiting for the higher MP one to be released.

On the other hand, if this is basically a 5d4 sensor, then I'll probably just pick up the a7r3.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
On the surface, I have little use for this camera. I need a high res companion for my 1Dx2, and this isn't it. However, the big brother to come may be.

I love the 5DS for this high res situations. Heaven would be 50mp mirrorless...

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
If true, then my next two questions are:
1) What mount?
2) Anything new for the sensor?

In terms of what this would cause on my part as a buyer, that depends. On the surface, I have little use for this camera. I need a high res companion for my 1Dx2, and this isn't it. However, the big brother to come may be.

If Canon can make strides with their sensor, then this camera will be enough to keep me from pairing an a7r3 with my 1Dx2. I won't buy this one, but I'll be ok with waiting for the higher MP one to be released.

On the other hand, if this is basically a 5d4 sensor, then I'll probably just pick up the a7r3.
If they recycle their current sensor tech (5D4/6D2), I think they will officially make a lot of people make the switch to Sony. I know I will. They need a competitive product and that requires new tech. I'm already not liking the idea that they're thinking of capping 1080p video at 60fps.... like why? The competitors can all do 120fps. I guess if we want 120 we need to buy a 1DX M2? I don't think so... I'll just give my $2000 to Sony for the A7III if that's the case. BUT.. I'm still really hoping it'll turn out to be a good competitive camera. We will see next week.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
No....that would make too many people happy.

It can't be true.....

In all seriousness, Canon's quality and reliability and that spec list. That is a sweet camera. All for under $2k. Sure it is head to head with the Z6 and a bit lower in price than the A7III. But Canon is usually one to bleed as much revenue as possible. Even pricing themselves well above the competition. Here, they would be the same price as Nikon and lower than Sony??? While I hope it is true, this doesn't feel right.

Tell me it is $2,499, or $2,999...that would make more sense.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I love the 5DS for this high res situations. Heaven would be 50mp mirrorless...

If you want high res on the cheap, the only option is last gen stuff: D800/D800E, A7R2, etc.

Historical price track for 5DS:

05701-Canon-EOS-5Ds-price-graph.png

That is rock solid. Few metrics defend price better than being best in class in resolution.

- A

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
I'm thinking this is the crop/M5 Mark 2. I feel like Canon would have hyped up the announcement if it were a game-changing FF mirrorless with potentially a whole new mount. You know what you don't hype up? More of the same. You know what would be more of the same (but in a good way at least)? A crop sensor mirrorless on the existing mirrorless system/mount configuration with the specs listed above.

Upvote 0