We were wrong, all of your Canon mirrorless dreams are likely coming true soon

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
I'm getting worried. I really hope Canon delivers something that will blow us away - as I've said before, they are fully capable of doing so - it is simply the question as to whether they want to. When I hear that they will announce something on Sept 5, it sounds more reactive to me (i.e. reacting to Nikon), which in Canon's case, I'm not sure its necessary. Rather than release something in a reactive and rushed manner, I would rather that Canon respond proactively when they are good and ready - that means taking the extra time to deliver something spectacular. Or maybe they were always planning for this Sept 5 date - who knows?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'm getting worried. I really hope Canon delivers something that will blow us away - as I've said before, they are fully capable of doing so - it is simply the question as to whether they want to. When I hear that they will announce something on Sept 5, it sounds more reactive to me (i.e. reacting to Nikon), which in Canon's case, I'm not sure its necessary. Rather than release something in a reactive and rushed manner, I would rather that Canon respond proactively when they are good and ready - that means taking the extra time to deliver something spectacular. Or maybe they were always planning for this Sept 5 date - who knows?

1) Curious: when is the last time Canon blew you away? This is not what they do. Canon predictably puts one foot in front of the other and delivers -- with quality, with forethought, and with usefulness. I liken them to a rather mundane automobile that never turns heads but also never ever lets you down.

2) When FF mirrorless comes, know it was probably 3-5 years in development. There is zero chance Canon is rushing it. This is just when the release schedules lined up, and we shouldn't be surprised: Photokina is a big deal sort of event to announce things. If anything, Nikon deliberately wanted to be first of the two major SLR companies to grab all the spotlight and media attention. That said, FF mirrorless might be a later event if 9/5 has a reveal, it could be M5 Mk II or some other crop offering.

- A

Upvote 0
The reason why you don't hear anything real solid on a Canon Mirrorless is because Canon don't develop and test the mirrorless stuff in North America unlike their SLR stuff. Most if not all of the work is done in shop at Canon HQ or one of their close offices in Japan for mirrorless, but a majority of the work for SLR's and SLR lenses is done in North America, esp the marketing and testing. The people in North America are usually the early leakers until the camera stores get the info. As the North American market for mirrorless grows (if it does) then you will hear more early leaks but that is no time soon.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2013
I love Canon Rumors - and yes, I have recently been spending plenty of time dreaming about Canon's mirrorless future ... lol ... :p

This latest rumor/ news & possible quite different direction has me thinking that the following are possible mirrorless bodies Canon might go with for the next few years:
  • A $750 M50 (being the 'great value' mirrorless, to entice people to the EOS-M line, also being the new standard for a few more 'Rebel / XXXD' DSLR bodies)
  • A $1200 M5II - with notably more specs than M5 (so it's close to a true 80D / 90D equivalent); retaining current size (but with fully articulating screen)
  • A $1900 FF mirrorless (the specs of this rumour) - having everything a 6DII has, and a bit more, roughly competing with the Sony A7iii and Nikon Z6
  • A $3500 FF mirrorless (the 5D4 'equivalent') - that may be Canon's 'top of the line' FF mirrorless for some time - competing with the Nikon Z7

The 'gaps' - that I see from the above line up (that may be filled in future years, rather than in the near future)
  • A $1800 '7D' mirrorless equivalent (i.e. APS-C sized sensor with on sensor DAC for superior IQ than the current 7Dii), but a body similar to the size of the new Nikon Z line (i.e. allowing very good balance for larger / adapted lenses too). Will probably herald a significant step forward in autofocus (at least well above the M5)
  • A $4000 FF high resolution mirrorless, basically the 5DS/R, with similar specs to the $3500 mirrorless I list above, but some key differences too
  • A $7500 FF high speed 'pro' monster, with stunning AF and durability, larger size again to other FF mirrorless.
It could be that Canon come out with the $1800 "7D" mirrorless before the M5II, AND/OR they will come out with the 5DS/R equivalent before the 5D4 equivalent.
I expect to see there being the use of QPAF (or DPAF with much improved tech) in the relatively near future for Canon mirrorless, i.e. superior low light AF, increased initial acquisition and tracking speed. :love:

For the FF mirrorless mount, my guess is that Canon will use a mount that is automatically fully compatible with EF lenses; but it may also have the ability to have slightly smaller lenses (particularly for certain wide / fast glass). :giggle:

Let's see how we go! It's an exciting time. Thanks, CR Guy and CR Community

PJ :geek:
Does anyone have an issue with the fact that you'll continue to have to use an adapter with any higher end APS-C mirrorless camera (such as a 7D-type or 90D type mirrorless)? I don't think I'd want to drop $1800 on a "7D"-equivalent mirrorless and then have to use an adapter to use it with my EF 70-200. It just seems like a bad trade off. At that price point, I'd rather just have a DSLR.

Upvote 0
Does anyone have an issue with the fact that you'll continue to have to use an adapter with any higher end APS-C mirrorless camera (such as a 7D-type or 90D type mirrorless)? I don't think I'd want to drop $1800 on a "7D"-equivalent mirrorless and then have to use an adapter to use it with my EF 70-200. It just seems like a bad trade off. At that price point, I'd rather just have a DSLR.

Yes it's only my existing range of EF lenses that's stopping me switching to Nikon. If an expensive adapter is required to continue using them on FF mirror less it would provide me with an ideal opportunity to switch brands.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Sure, and that's fair.

But use an adaptor at all times (just leave it on there) and you get nice things for the trouble:
  • The elimination of the mirror as a potential bottleneck for framerate. Hello (who knows) 14-16 fps in a 7D price point.
  • AF across the majority of the frame compared to your OVF setup
  • Standard mirrorless upsides: no mirror slap, silent shooting, manual focusing assitance, etc.
I"m not saying it's better than an SLR in all use cases (surely it's not), but removing the mirror has more upsides than just being smaller, even for the 7D camp.

- A

Upvote 0
Heh, by what standard? The a7iii is fine. I bet if I looked at three prints, one from an A7iii, one from a 5DSR, and one from a D850, I couldn’t pick which is from which, or even discern quality differences not related to the user or lens.
By any technical standard they are great but in the real world, well, they don’t look very nice. And especially up against the D850.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Yes it's only my existing range of EF lenses that's stopping me switching to Nikon. If an expensive adapter is required to continue using them on FF mirror less it would provide me with an ideal opportunity to switch brands.

Nikon's own adaptor for F to Z costs $249. Canon's EF/EF-S to EF-M costs $199. If Canon goes thin (only) instead of Full EF mount mirrorless, expect something similar, say in the $200-300 range.

The only way you wouldn't have to pay for an EF adaptor is if Canon does indeed offer a full EF mount mirrorless setup. Many believe that's the best option -- and it could happen -- but I still think they'll lead with body like the Z6/Z7/A7/A9 with a thin mount.

I've heard a lot of reasons to sever one's own leg to run faster (i.e. convert all your stuff to a new system): more DR, better video options, 'this company is innovating', etc. But bouncing from Canon over the cost of an adaptor? Really?

- A

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Nikon's own adaptor for F to Z costs $249. Canon's EF/EF-S to EF-M costs $199. If Canon goes thin (only) instead of Full EF mount mirrorless, expect something similar, say in the $200-300 range.

yes. But in real life those mount adapters can typically be had for a lot less.

Nikon: with purchase of a Z6/Z7 Nikon currently offers 100 USD off adapter price.
Canon EF/EF-M adapter was included in many EOS M camera kits. So there are lots of new/hardly used adapters for sale ... and price dropped further when low-cost chinese versions became available. ;-)
Currently Canon EF-/EF-M "like new" is anywhere between 59 - 79 €. New from authorized Canon dealer - without any discounts - it is widely available for 119 Euros retail (inl. 20% VAT tax) even in "high-price Central Europe".

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Not surprised that Canon now pushes a FF ML out, because it is all about the old rivalry with Nikon. I think what they really feared were too many users running around with a Nikon Z and Canon glass adapted to it. This wasn't even possible back in the old days of rangefinders, when Nikon's cameras didn't have the Leica M39 thread mount which was the international standard back then.

Btw I am happy that Canon decided to stick with "only" 28 MP. That's not only enough even for quite big prints, but promises great low light performance. Canon's new ML, if those specs come true, may not make tiny pixel fetishists happy. But I do hope they are going to offer a mature product for real life photography - a camera that simply works well and does not distract from taking images and videos, without a sucking lagging EVF showing settings that are already lost in the past.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Stuart

Hi, Welcome from an ePhotozine fan, & 6D user.
Jul 22, 2010
London & Woking
www.ephotozine.com
With all the recent EF lens announcements, i doubt this is the new mount FF I really want. I think its an EF mirrorless 6D style camera to allow Canon enthusiasts to say 'me too'. Meanwhile the lens design team is busy building their own lens roadmap devices for the new mount as Nikon has done. When that model is ready i believe it will be a high MP pro ready device with the niggles ironed out on this model.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Because they don't like the overheating problems that go along IBIS.
Steve Huff, THE ML guy of the past years, is currently on a Canon revival trip, because an overheating A9 ruined a video shooting he did (check recent posts on http://www.stevehuffphoto.com). He seems to love the bulky 1-DX II, not only for its video output but also for its stills. And what happened? All those haters like those flooding DPR threads now call him a Canon fanboy - only because he wanted a reliable tool for his purposes. That's all what Canon is about, according to my own experience (aside with another brand's gear): Canon gear is just reliably working with out of the box results that don't need permanently heavy-sided post processing. Saves you a lot of lifetime and nerves. Canon is the Toyota of camera industries - and that's great.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0