We were wrong, all of your Canon mirrorless dreams are likely coming true soon

Jun 20, 2013
If it has a BSI or stacked sensor, 27MP ish resolution, and a responsive EVF, then I would be in for this first mirrorless FF Canon offering. I don’t care about video, and would prefer native EF mount (adapter ok). Other features similar to 6D2 would suffice for $2k.
BSI sensor is less important if it's an EF mount.

Upvote 0

Desiree Vie

CR Pro
Jul 14, 2014
I have 3 Cameras, one with DPAF, which is nearly all I could could want in a DSLR vs. Video Cam. I have 8 lenses, ALL EF mount, albeit ef or ef-s. I have zero issues with a mirror, nor have I since 1974 when I bought my first Canon camera. I do not see why this whole "rush" to mirrorless even exists. Weight? New Technology?
Competition?
I have made a living using my Canon 35mm, then on to EOS AF Digital. You can create all the newness you want, I am never going to give it all up. I walk around Watkins Glen this summer at the 6 hour endurance race. There were more folks with Canon than all the rest added together. There were as many "big whites" as who knows. Why give up something that works.
Many have said, the best camera is the one in your hands. I see zero reasons, regardless of the technology, competition or future, to empty my backpack of those three cameras and 8 lenses for anything, and spend 10-50k on starting over.
Canon... all I wish for is more lenses that are lighter, and clean HDMI on everything. My only dreams are to able to carry more on my shoulder or in my hands, with attached monopods, and the ability to record video externally on some other devices.

Upvote 0
I think I woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning. All I can see is:

1. Absolutely nothing has changed. Either Canon is going to release a FF mirrorless this year or it isn't. And no one outside of Canon seems to know any detail about it. So reading these rumors is not productive, other than to know "something might be coming. Hold off on major purchase decisions." Meh. I've known that for quite awhile now.

2. Whoever started abbreviating mirrorless as ML... you have done this forum a disservice.

Sorry. Maybe I just need more coffee. :confused::coffee:

Not to mention making a bold statement they are wrong this time when "We give no rating to these specifications, it’s just what’s out there. " It is such a click baity title when "all of our known sources, still maintain that they know of no mirrorless camera coming "

I had my coffee but 3 shots isn't strong enough.

"We were wrong, all of your Canon mirrorless dreams are likely coming true soon"

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
I have 3 Cameras, one with DPAF, which is nearly all I could could want in a DSLR vs. Video Cam. I have 8 lenses, ALL EF mount, albeit ef or ef-s. I have zero issues with a mirror, nor have I since 1974 when I bought my first Canon camera. I do not see why this whole "rush" to mirrorless even exists. Weight? New Technology?
Competition?
I have made a living using my Canon 35mm, then on to EOS AF Digital. You can create all the newness you want, I am never going to give it all up. I walk around Watkins Glen this summer at the 6 hour endurance race. There were more folks with Canon than all the rest added together. There were as many "big whites" as who knows. Why give up something that works.
Many have said, the best camera is the one in your hands. I see zero reasons, regardless of the technology, competition or future, to empty my backpack of those three cameras and 8 lenses for anything, and spend 10-50k on starting over.
Canon all I wish for is more lenses that are lighter, and clean HDMI on everything.

Mirrorless just offers some new advanced features that DSLR does not. That is not to say there's anything wrong with existing systems, but there's also nothing wrong with moving forward and being excited about newer more advanced technologies.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381098

Seeing what Canon is going to do next is the only reason I haven't gone over to Fuji yet. I'm highly invested in Canon and my gear will go for a mere song if I trade it in. Also, camera companies keep introducing new cameras and we keep hearing "this is not a professional camera", which I'm not sure I understand. Any camera is a professional camera if a professional is using it. Granted, some are more rugged, have better features, etc. But remember when 9/11 happened? News photographers were out shooting with 30D's. That was professional for it's time. This new mirrorless looks like it will have every feature that I need for the work that I do. Fuji is a crop sensor and it's considered a "professional" camera. I think the term "professional" is thrown around very loosely these days. Mostly from the camera companies trying to make us feel we've got to spend more money to be considered professional. Which camera works best for you? That's the real question. Is it a 5D Mark IV? Great, get it. Is it a T7i? Then get that one. Anyways, I think this is a good move for canon. Since I plan to move to mirrorless I'll be holding out a few more days to see what's on the horizon, then I'll be making a decision on which camera is going to be right for the work that I plan to do.

Upvote 0
Dear Santa. As my Christmas present, please punish all naughty people at Nikon and Sony and reward good people at Canon. I've been a good boy all year round so please give me a FF mirrorless 36Mpix ILC with IBIS and EF mount, 4K@60, EVF and flip screen and 2 bells and 3 whistles. Please make my dream come true, likely and soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Mirrorless just offers some new advanced features that DSLR does not. That is not to say there's anything wrong with existing systems, but there's also nothing wrong with moving forward and being excited about newer more advanced technologies.

Why is mirrorless classed as 'moving forward' and 'more advanced technologies'? Sure, mirrorless has advantages but so do DSLR. For me, if Canon put a hybrid VF in a DSLR 'live view style' that would bring DSLR with all the advantages of both systems. There is precious little else that is inherently 'mirrorless' in technology.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Why is mirrorless classed as 'moving forward' and 'more advanced technologies'? Sure, mirrorless has advantages but so do DSLR. For me, if Canon put a hybrid VF in a DSLR 'live view style' that would bring DSLR with all the advantages of both systems. There is precious little else that is inherently 'mirrorless' in technology.
It's a lot more than the VF. One of the main points for me is the better focusing systems like eye AF.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Either way now, Canon Rumor Guy can say, "See, I was right!"
BRILLIANT!!!
lol yep.

I'm still going to be completely blown away if this announcement does in fact happen. I just can't believe that NOTHING has leaked prior. But, ahsanford tells me this has happened before, so I suppose anything's possible.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
It's a lot more than the VF. One of the main points for me is the better focusing systems like eye AF.
Which is not a mirrorless-exclusive function...

I’m patiently waiting for someone to show me what a mirrorless camera can do that an SLR in lockup fundamentally can not, aside from “be narrower.”

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2018
Which is not a mirrorless-exclusive function...

I’m patiently waiting for someone to show me what a mirrorless camera can do that an SLR in lockup fundamentally can not, aside from “be narrower.”
That right there is the point....if the mirror needs to be in "lockup" to utilize these features, one can't help but wonder why not just remove the mirror.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Competition?
Canon... all I wish for is more lenses that are lighter, and clean HDMI on everything. My only dreams are to able to carry more on my shoulder or in my hands, with attached monopods, and the ability to record video externally on some other devices.

I think you fail to appreciate that all change is fairly incremental when it comes to a competitive technological consumer products field, even a change over to mirrorless. The technology is still in its infancy, and so you're right that at this initial stage, it's perfectly viable to stick with a DSLR and get just about as good results. I don't think these early generations of mirrorless pro cameras are that revolutionary compared to what a DSLR can do.

However, having a live feed of what's happening in front of your lens available to the camera to analyze and process at all times will I think lead to some revolutionary changes in the future. I don't think it's too far fetched to imagine a camera a few years away that can instantly recognize a face in almost any condition and any orientation, and reliably lock on and track focus on the eyes. And I don't think it's too far fetched to expect a camera to be able to recognize and track one specific athlete or one specific car in a motorsports race without missing a beat, regardless of what else is in the frame or what gets in the way from time to time. And by that point the camera will probably also be grabbing full resolution frames at 30fps or better, and maybe even rifling through the hundreds of photos afterward and automatically showing you what the camera considers to be the best shots, avoiding the need to spend time looking through mountains of photos to find the best one.

So yes, I agree that right now, in the infancy of mirrorless, it doesn't offer all that much that's exponentially better than a DSLR. Yeah they have a little faster framerates, and once someone perfects a global shutter, then manufacturers can ditch all moving parts which will improve reliability, but that's it right now.

But I can imagine a time not too far in the future where you will begin to look awfully silly carrying around a DSLR and struggling to achieve the same shots that an advanced mirrorless camera that has the capability of actually analyzing what it's looking at will probably be able to do with ease. And if you can't imagine that sort of a future, then I think you're a little too narrow minded and set in your ways regarding what a camera could be and what it could be capable of.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I'm glad this is happening, I thought I was going to have to jump ship to Nikon for a decent 4K camera. Hopefully the internal codec is comparable to Nikon and Sony, 10 bit output like the Z6 would be icing on the cake, but not a requirement. I'm also excited to be able to use the FD lenses on a Canon again, I can finally sell my Panasoinc.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
That right there is the point....if the mirror needs to be in "lockup" to utilize these features, one can't help but wonder why not just remove the mirror.
Canon has at least a couple of patents for hybrid VFs - put a focus peaking overlay over a optical VF for example.
So tell me what could a mirrorless do that a hybrid VF DSLR could not.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Because with a mirror you get an OVF. If SLR technology was just invented people would be AMAZED with the not just lifelike but actual real life view through an OVF.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Black Friday, Christmas sales, New Years sales. A gift to yourself for waiting until the end of year sales instead of buying on GAS impulse during the year.

If someone can buy their significant other a Benz/Audi/Acura/BMW/Cadi or Yugo, then a camera body isn't so unreasonable.
Plus year end bonuses, a lot of people get overtime late in the year. A lot more money floats around Nov to January.

Upvote 0
Why does everybody want Canon to keep the EF mount? I want a new system with a matching lens for optimal compatibility and newer technology. A 5-10 year old lens is not going to work as well as something totally new made specifically for a new sensor. I think Nikon understood that. Things move forward.
I understand people have invested heavily in their equipment but the 2018 lens lineup is limited to a few models. There will be adapters if necessary but I wouldn't want to use them.
Remember the Nikon Z is new and Canon didn't know about it but Sony A7R III has been around since last year so Canon knows they need something to dethrone Sony. They won't do it without a kick ass machine with 100% new tech. IMHO.

I'm sure plenty of people will chime in and there are lots of discussions on both sides elsewhere on the forum, but I'll put it simply from my perspective. First, nobody has explained clearly why a new mount is so desirable. There's a lot of talk about 'newer lens designs', 'constraints of existing mounts' but it's mostly hand waving. Aside from a few types of lens - apparently wide angle especially - there is nothing that a new mount can do that can't already be done with EF. You say "something totally new made specifically for a new sensor" but what does that mean? Are lenses designed for specific sensors (in ILCs)? And 5-10 years old is not old in the world of lenses. Good optics have a long lifespan, so why through the baby out with the bathwater?

I'll also repeat: whatever its advantages, a new mount has a major drawback - it is not natively compatible with all those existing EF lenses (unless they come up with some amazing hybrid solution). So as a current EF lens user, why would I want a new mount, which will necessitate either selling my current lenses and buying new ones (with little to no advantage in performance that I can see), or using an adaptor which may affect AF performance and image quality?

Upvote 0
Dear Santa. As my Christmas present, please punish all naughty people at Nikon and Sony and reward good people at Canon. I've been a good boy all year round so please give me a FF mirrorless 36Mpix ILC with IBIS and EF mount, 4K@60, EVF and flip screen and 2 bells and 3 whistles. Please make my dream come true, likely and soon.

Fully endorsed :)

Upvote 0