Well, this sucks... Camera and Lens snapped at the mount

I dropped a 5DIII several years back. CPS replaced most of the shell and mount. Bits of the mirror box and a few of the circuit boards. The camera not only looked new but operated like new once I had it back in my hands. A 3 day turn around and fixed price repair. Astonishing service and a reminder as to why i use Canon....
When I put my cams away, I never leave a lens attached. The longer the lens, the more leverage on the mount.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
That's the reason why I finally bit the bullet last year and got a gear insurance that includes accidental damage as well as all the other stuff.
Of course you'll only know how good an insurance is when it comes to a loss. :unsure:
I had a cost estimate for my camera equipment made, and found out that it would cost (per year), as much as a brand new EOS 5 D V + EF 1,4/35.
So, I refrained and hope my gear won't get stolen...:unsure:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I had a cost estimate for my camera equipment made, and found out that it would cost (per year), as much as a brand new EOS 5 D V + EF 1,4/35.
So, I refrained and hope my gear won't get stolen...:unsure:
If it was that expensive for me I suppose I would rethink about it, too.
My insurance wants about 2 to 3 % of the equipment value, depending on tariff and value.
I think this is fair. If I lose half of the equipment I wouldn't be able to get this back any time soon.

Upvote 0

bobby

5D IV
Sep 8, 2018
I have a blanket policy for camera gear and related things (covers my laptop, too!). They cover up to 7.5k and I'm currently paying about 250 a year. The great thing is: It doesn't matter what camera or lens I take. As long as it's worth 7.5k or less, it's covered. This also includes gear that I own but lend to friends and family free of charge.
I broke a 16-35 f/2.8 a few years ago and they covered it without any hiccups. Having insurance is so much more important than most people realize if you own expensive gear.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
If it was that expensive for me I suppose I would rethink about it, too.
My insurance wants about 2 to 3 % of the equipment value, depending on tariff and value.
I think this is fair. If I lose half of the equipment I wouldn't be able to get this back any time soon.
Sounds interesting!
Could you please name the insurance company?
Thanks!

Upvote 0

bobby

5D IV
Sep 8, 2018
Sounds interesting!
Thanks!

I went through a German broker. They'll insure your gear as long as you're a resident of an EU country. Here's the broker's website: https://www.fotoversicherung.com

EDIT: Your gear is covered in any country on planet earth except in war zones

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Sounds interesting!
Thanks!
The company is the same as mentioned by bobby and working in Germany and the EU.
Different insurance models (countries, gear used, gear at home, accessories, etc) are possible.
Further details see here:
https://www.fotofairsicherung.de/ (German HP)

Upvote 0