What’s next from Canon in 2020?

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
If R5 is worse than 5DIV, it'll be more than a stop difference between the R5 and the A7RIV.
But most importantly, I don't seek respect for being loyal to a brand. If Canon were paying me, maybe. But currently it's me who pays Canon. So it's Canon who should respect me as a customer and release cameras with good dynamic range. :)
at ISO 200 there is a ZERO difference in DR between a7Riv and 5DIV. you keep referring to metrics that are meaningless for any practical purposes. I am sorry, you your logic is weak. if you live in ISO 100 world and require even more DR and cannot afford exposure bracketing, then consider 5DIV DPRAW mode that essentially offer up to an additional 1 stop of DR in highlight areas.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
at ISO 200 there is a ZERO difference in DR between a7Riv and 5DIV. you keep referring to metrics that are meaningless for any practical purposes. I am sorry, you your logic is weak. if you live in ISO 100 world and require even more DR and cannot afford exposure bracketing, then consider 5DIV DPRAW mode that essentially offer up to an additional 1 stop of DR in highlight areas.

That's nonsense. Of course the DR measurements at ISO 100 are very practical, in terms of camera comparison. ISO 100 is used very often and in many cases it's ISO 100 only.
For landscapes, unless it's night shooting, I mostly use ISO 100. Sometimes ISO 50 which gives the same DR on 5DIV. It's very practical to me and to many landscape shooters. I prefer to not bracket when possible especially when shooting seascapes.

DPRAW + DPRSplit tool is unreliable. I've already referred to this my post several times: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...ic-range-using-dpaf-sensors.37447/post-787672
You can't reliably extract additional stop of DR from 5DIV.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
That's nonsense. Of course the DR measurements at ISO 100 are very practical, in terms of camera comparison. ISO 100 is used very often and in many cases it's ISO 100 only.
For landscapes, unless it's night shooting, I mostly use ISO 100. Sometimes ISO 50 which gives the same DR on 5DIV. It's very practical to me and to many landscape shooters. I prefer to not bracket when possible especially when shooting seascapes.

DPRAW + DPRSplit tool is unreliable. I've already referred to this my post several times: https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/i...ic-range-using-dpaf-sensors.37447/post-787672
You can't reliably extract additional stop of DR from 5DIV.
that is in your very specific isolated use case where you live in ISO 100 world exclusively. and yes, you can extract up to an additional stop with DPRAW.
it is very practical for you, not for event shooters, wedding photogs, PJs, etc. who rarely even touch ISO 100 unless shoot in controlled light where your DR issue does not even exist.

in outset, the issue that you are referring to is an isolated use case, that isn't an issue for the absolute majority of photographers.
all the best.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Speaking as a switcher to Sony, I did so anticipation a 12-18 month wait for a camera with >8 FPS with autofocus. Kept EF lenses to use on Sony and hopefully on future Canon body. Have few regrets, as this is coming to pass. Was worried for a while, though. Was starting to think about selling rest of EF glass to go native Sony. That was a long quiet. R is nice, but not for action.

So, yes, I expect to sell some Sony bodies and get a couple R5s. That said, I’ll keep an A7R4 and possibly an A9 and a few lenses, as I expect Canon to refresh at about 48 months, and there might be some big developments in that time. Canon’s silence has caused me to be OK straddling systems. Not cost efficient, but a little better for me than most because I rely on multiple remotes. I think blind loyalty to a system leads to rationalization. My work in past year was noticeably helped by features EF didn’t have (especially 20 FPS, but also eye AF at the time). Looking forward to both on RF.

On lens side of things, canon RF options make me jealous, but lack of Sigma Art, etc. lens makers having figured out RF mount is less ideal.

Upvote 0
that is in your very specific isolated use case where you live in ISO 100 world exclusively.
Landscape photography is a specific isolated use case?

and yes, you can extract up to an additional stop with DPRAW.
[.............]
in outset, the issue that you are referring to is an isolated use case, that isn't an issue for the absolute majority of photographers.

I've shown you an example where it failed. It's not 'isolated'. I had quite a few spoiled images before I stopped using DPRSplit. No, it can't be used reliably. Sometimes it works, but this conversion is not documented and can't be used reliably in anyone's workflow.

Upvote 0
Not all landscape photography requires max DR and ISO 100. I usually want faster shutter speeds even with landscape photography than ISO 100 allows.

However, as above, most of my landscape shots are ISO 100 or 50. Nightscapes can be in the range of ISO 100-3200. Sometimes I use higher ISOs during the daytime to shoot foliage in the wind etc. Of course it's my specific workflow but ISO 100 (or whatever base ISO) is a default go-to ISO for many landscape shooters and sensor's performance at ISO 100 is improtant for landscapes.

In fact the aggressive arguments from SecureGSM come for nothing as I wasn't blaming Canon's dynamic range. On the contrary, 1DXIII on Photonstophotos looks pretty impressive. I only stated that I wanted the future R5 to also improve in DR compared to 5DIV.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Maybe more indication that the R6 will use the 1DXIII sensor? That is supposed to be a very nice sensor even if smaller than the current 6 series. High ISO and high DR would make it worth the loss of megapixels. Also it is supposed to be sharper than other sensors due to something with the filter(?)

The 1D X Mark III sensor is a full 36x24 mm, the same size as Canon's other FF cameras.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mirrored 5DV with flip screen and better sensor would be very nice. Would I buy it when I see Canon is putting all efforts into the R line? I don't know. If they announce it right now, before the R5 release, I'd be confused. But if they ever announce it, it'll be long after the R5 release. And I'll have bought either R5 or R5s by then.
That is, the market for 5DV shrinks significantly after the R5 release.
Agreed. Why buy new into an obsolete mount? I would really have to hate EVF to consider it, and if I did I would buy a used 5D4 at a good price as I expect that prices will fall once R5 is introduced.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2020
With the new Canon Cloud (I don't recall their brand) giving real-time continuous backups, the notion of a second card slot will be going by the wayside as archaic insurance. I'd even boldly suggest that before long some cameras (like smartphones) will have NO card slots, but just some internal memory.
I am NOT going to put up with the cost and hassle of having 300-600 45meg files uploading to the cloud during a shoot (2/3rd of which I dont even want to keep. Not even an option out in nowhere land shoots.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
I am NOT going to put up with the cost and hassle of having 300-600 45meg files uploading to the cloud during a shoot (2/3rd of which I dont even want to keep. Not even an option out in nowhere land shoots.

Seeing that they intend offer 10 GB of long time storage (at a cost, presumably)
and then knowing that many jobs render 30-40 GB of data before culling.......
This is not a sevice geared towards my needs.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
However, as above, most of my landscape shots are ISO 100 or 50. Nightscapes can be in the range of ISO 100-3200. Sometimes I use higher ISOs during the daytime to shoot foliage in the wind etc. Of course it's my specific workflow but ISO 100 (or whatever base ISO) is a default go-to ISO for many landscape shooters and sensor's performance at ISO 100 is improtant for landscapes.

In fact the aggressive arguments from SecureGSM come for nothing as I wasn't blaming Canon's dynamic range. On the contrary, 1DXIII on Photonstophotos looks pretty impressive. I only stated that I wanted the future R5 to also improve in DR compared to 5DIV.
my argument comes across your statement that 5D IV DR is "lagging behind" a7rIV. where in reality it is only slightly behind at ISO 100 and already at parity at ISO 200. I pointed out that your language is in-concise to obvious Canon's product disadvantage.

Upvote 0
my argument comes across your statement that 5D IV DR is "lagging behind" a7rIV. where in reality it is only slightly behind at ISO 100 and already at parity at ISO 200.

So you're unhappy with the 'lagging behind' term I used? Seriously? I hope Canon sensors weren't abused.
It's 0.8 stops behind at ISO 100, according to PTP.
Whether it's a big difference or not I don't know, it depends on the usage, but it's still 'lagging behind'.

1DXIII is almost there. I'd be happy if R5 performs like 1DXIII and would be disappointed if it's worse than 5DIV. That's my criteria as a prospective buyer. Obviously it doesn't apply to your buying decisions.

Upvote 0