What’s next for the Canon EOS R system and the rest of the lineup?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
It never fails, once Canon announces a new camera, the inevitable question we receive is “what’s coming next?” The launch of the EOS RP (preorder here) was expected and has received a lot of positive feedback from the still shooters, though the video guys seem to mostly be annoyed by the lack of 1080p at 24fps, which we also feel was a strange thing to omit.
We have some ideas about what’s coming next, and we’ve heard a few bits of information in regards to the EOS R system, so we’ll try to quickly break down what we’ve been told is coming mixed with a little bit of what we think is coming.

EOS R camera bodies
We know a third EOS R body is coming sometime in late 2019 or early 2020. Though dates can obviously move depending on how development goes. We think the 6 new RF mount lenses will have to...

Continue reading...

I'm still crossing my fingers for a new 7d. The RP is cute and the price is nice, but i'd much prefer put that money on the features of the better 7d body, even if it has a smaller sensor....
I never thought I would say this but the rumored specs of the a7000 on the Sony side look like the ideal 7d replacement at this point. The new tracking on the a9 seems to have surpassed just about everyone even if it's not as fast on the FPS side while doing so. If the a7000 keeps most of the feature set of the a9 with an APS-C sensor instead it'll be a very hard choice.

I am hoping the real firmware update for the R comes with some serious tracking updates. I could certainly live with the speed of the R if it could track as well as the Sony. The auto eye tracking to face to shape and back again is pretty amazing technology.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
I still think, given the one-way adapter path between EF & RF.. that an EF mount video camera would be a non-starter at this point. RF is built for Mirrorless, video is Mirrorless, and not having the ability to use this new glass on the next c300/400 would hamper its sales. At the least, we’ll see the ability to switch out the sensor block/mount but I think that any new C series camera will be RF mount from the get-go.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I’m selfishly disappointed that a 100 f1.4 L isn’t coming soon. Not any news regarding that lens? 85 is a tad short for me..
No patent exists as far as I'm aware, so it is a very long way, there will be a 90mm or a 100mm 2.8 Macro IS some time later, some crazy wide-angle is also rumored. And besides the development announcements, I predict that a 100-400mm f3.5-5.6 patent is also a go, the demand is certainly there for that besides a 70-200 2.8.

Well the adapted EF Sigma 105/1.4 will work just fine, although huge, very heavy and unbalanced. And the Otus 100/1.4 is also coming very soon, but also very big and no AF.

Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I never thought I would say this but the rumored specs of the a7000 on the Sony side look like the ideal 7d replacement at this point. The new tracking on the a9 seems to have surpassed just about everyone even if it's not as fast on the FPS side while doing so. If the a7000 keeps most of the feature set of the a9 with an APS-C sensor instead it'll be a very hard choice.

I am hoping the real firmware update for the R comes with some serious tracking updates. I could certainly live with the speed of the R if it could track as well as the Sony. The auto eye tracking to face to shape and back again is pretty amazing technology.

Been heavily considering this myself. If the a7000 (which, let's acknowledge, is just an unconfirmed rumor) does appear, for my purposes, it's a do-all event/BTS machine, and I may have to get one to use alongside my 5D. Just slap Sony's 18-135 on there and go to town.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I’m selfishly disappointed that a 100 f1.4 L isn’t coming soon. Not any news regarding that lens? 85 is a tad short for me..

Canon has traditionally reserved that focal length for Macro in both L and non-L versions. I have both the 85L 1.4 and still amazing 135L. You’ll have to settle for one. Otherwise it’s 2.8 at 100 with macro. But I tell ya, I love this new 85. And it’s not that much shorter than a 100. What are you trying to shoot? Can’t take one step closer? 2D6B766B-2712-4D48-A5B2-6394F28B9D7D.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
I may seriously consider the RP as a second body but I will continue to wait for an update to the 7d2.
I shot the original 7d for about 7yrs then got rid of it hoping the 7d mark iii would be here 2yrs ago.

Been shooting FF since 2008 with 5D II, but always leaned toward the 7D for most of my work (hobbyist). Hopefully there’s a crop sensor/flavor 10fps+ EOS R line with 25mp+ res for $2k

Upvote 0