What’s next for the Canon EOS R system and the rest of the lineup?

RiceCanon

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
The RF lens line is shaping up nicely but Canon is really testing my patience as far as bodies go. I owned a 6D and replaced it with a 6DII for features other than the largely recycled 6D sensor. The last thing I want is yet another recycled 6DII sensor. I'm ready to make the transition to mirrorless but am still waiting on Canon's next generation sensor. I hope the wait isn't much longer otherwise I may have to consider switching brands with the switch to mirrorless.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
As far as my constantly repeated on here selfish desires, I'd love to see a video geared R. Mid-low MP for a lesser crop or a full frame readout in 4K. 20MP on the DX2 is nice because the crop is only 1.3x I'd love to see a 12MP sensor like the Sony A7S that does a 1:1 readout for a perfect 8.8MP 4k. Of course with Sony... you have to deal with Sony ergonomics, battery life, sony colors, lenses, etc... I'd rather not.

Since the beginning, I have said the MILC builds lend themselves naturally so well to video, and I just can't understand some of the decision making on Canon's part. No, I'm NOT leaving Canon. They aren't going to collapse, flop, fail, "DOOOOOOM" .... whatever. I'm not one of those. But there has to be at least one guy at Canon who sees that there are some great opportunities out there going by. (Hey about 4k out from my DX2 Canon... waiting for that firmware ;-)

I'm still waiting to see what this big firmware is for the EOS R. More Eye-Focus (which no one seemed too jazzed about in reviews as it really didn't seem as good as Sony's) and what else?. $1299 EOS RP is great for stills but got shanked on video rather insultingly (no 1080p 24 which is just ridiculous). So here we are. I'll keep sitting and waiting for Canon to really address a not-so-insignificant market, that, to their credit Sony and Panasonic and Fuji have tried to.

I could be fairly happy with the EOS R with a very nice 10 bit 422 Clog output over HDMI. 4k60 would have been perfect, but hey, I really can't complain too much. They didn't give that camera a recording media that could handle it anyway.... but perhaps it could have been recorded externally.... I think that's how the Sony's addressed the heat issue. "hey we can do it! we just can't do it IN camera"

The A7S2 is about the same price as the EOS R. So let's see an EOS RC at $2300 - $2500 too.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
The RF lens line is shaping up nicely but Canon is really testing my patience as far as bodies go. I owned a 6D and replaced it with a 6DII for features other than the largely recycled 6D sensor. The last thing I want is yet another recycled 6DII sensor. I'm ready to make the transition to mirrorless but am still waiting on Canon's next generation sensor. I hope the wait isn't much longer otherwise I may have to consider switching brands with the switch to mirrorless.

EOS R sensor is very nice. Or out of price range?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
interesting...

Yeah, we will likely see one or two low-cost "kit" lenses soon, I think. Seems that a 24-135 f/4-5.6 IS would be a nice little vacation/travel lens. Similar to the 18-135 I have on my M5.

A couple of wide primes would be great also - but I suppose that going too high-end on lenses without going high-end on the body wouldn't make a lot of sense, especially when you can adapt any EF lens to the camera so easily.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
I never thought I would say this but the rumored specs of the a7000 on the Sony side look like the ideal 7d replacement at this point. The new tracking on the a9 seems to have surpassed just about everyone even if it's not as fast on the FPS side while doing so. If the a7000 keeps most of the feature set of the a9 with an APS-C sensor instead it'll be a very hard choice.

I am hoping the real firmware update for the R comes with some serious tracking updates. I could certainly live with the speed of the R if it could track as well as the Sony. The auto eye tracking to face to shape and back again is pretty amazing technology.

The problem with Sony is the lack of long lenses. Apart from the overpriced 100-400, there is nothing available, while for CaNikon there are tons of lenses, new and used.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Switched to sony for aps-c, with sigma glass.... it is great.

Still have hope for a eos r with a great sensor and 40+ mp

You'll get that in the EOS R "Pro" model. But I have a 5DSR now. I don't use it very often because it's so high res the file sizes for most shooting are just a pain. If I had to replace my 5D3 tomorrow I'd probably get an EOS R

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The A7S2 is about the same price as the EOS R. So let's see an EOS RC at $2300 - $2500 too.
That's really not how it works. At all. Ever since the fake 5DC rumors, this formula has been abandoned completely.
They are not going to compete with their very own products and they don't put video-focused sensors and processors on their stills cameras, video comes as an additional feature. The higher-end stills camera is also going to be better in video for about twice the price of an EOS R(or more), it is going to have UHD 4k60p and 1080p120p and similar codecs with C-Log, these are the only things that are very likely.

The most that is possible from various patents is a video-only XC-series RF-mount camera with a s35mm sensor DV6 processor and a pricetag higher than the EOS R. But that's probably not a high priority at the moment (maybe the high-end stills camera can do almost exactly what this model would with a similar crop factor anyway) as opposed to updating their Cinema cameras (FF is probably going to move down to the C300 level)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
That's really not how it works. At all. Ever since the fake 5DC rumors, this formula has been abandoned completely.
They are not going to compete with their very own products and they don't put video-focused sensors and processors on their stills cameras, video comes as an additional feature. The higher-end stills camera is also going to be better in video for about twice the price of an EOS R, that's the only thing that is very likely.

The most that is possible from various patents is a video-only XC-series RF-mount camera with a s35mm sensor DV6 processor and a pricetag higher than the EOS R. But that's probably not a high priority at the moment (maybe the high-end stills camera can do almost exactly what this model would with a similar crop factor anyway) as opposed to updating their Cinema cameras.

The thread begs the question "What would you like to see?" So that's my answer. I never said it was likely lol.

I also don't see how the Pro model would be better for video. It seems Canon is sticking with crap video shoting (which is fine) but at 50MP+ as I would think this high hi-res Pro model would be (to replace the 5DS), the crop would be untenable, and Canon would almost assuredly gear that thing expressly for stills (as they should). The video features in the 5DS were pure afterthoughts, as will be on this one as well I'd bet. Would love to be wrong though!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The thread begs the question "What would you like to see?" So that's my answer. I never said it was likely lol.

I also don't see how the Pro model would be better for video. It seems Canon is sticking with crap video shooting (which is fine) but at 50MP+ as I would think this high hi-res Pro model would be (to replace the 5DS), the crop would be untenable, and Canon would almost assuredly gear that thing expressly for stills (as they should). The video features in the 5DS were pure afterthoughts, as will be on this one as well I'd bet. Would love to be wrong though!
There are definitely two separate models, and of course we have no idea, which one is next (and the other one might be farther away, than most people would like). One is more of a specialty model than the other, but it might be easier to develop, since ultimate speed is not necessarily required for high-resolution and the AF for sports might not be there yet.

There is one for speed (R-X?) with much better video as a bonus (maybe that would use something like an LP-E19 battery) and another one to establish a new standard for FF stills resolution (Rs?) with some compromises in other areas, as higher-end models, I guess dual card slots can be put into both cameras.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The RP is slotted below the 6D the R is slotted below the 5D... I'm looking something like 5D mkiv/5ds/5dsr true replacement body
They have stated that (for now) "if you are an existing user, we would like you to buy these mirrorless cameras as an addition to your existing system, not a replacement" (of course, it stills works perfectly as a replacement for some uses).
Either moving up to the promised higher-end models or waiting for the more serious next generation should work.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
I've done a month-long vacation with the 24-105/4IS (EF, MkI) and the 135/2 and ended up literally never using the 135mm. I think 105 is a good tele end for travel.

Ehhh.... but the 135L f2 is a totally different lens. You can't make the same images with the 24-105f4. You're right about ease and simplicity of having an all-around zoom for travel, but that can't replace something like that particular prime for portrait work or even artistic shots that beg for super shallow DOF with unmatched bokeh. Really depends if you were just shooting general stuff or even landscape things, then yes I'd take my 24-105 too

Upvote 0
Feb 6, 2019
brain =explodes

Why would they do that? the smaller mount of the M was part of what kept the camera and lenses small. And I think they should be able to make an RF->EFM adapter, there's 2mm shorter film-to-flange distance on the EFM. So you wouldn't be making an APC-C RF-mount camera just so RF lenses could be used by an APS-C shooter.
It’s unlikely that the EOS-R line will have aps-c size sensor, only FF but with an option to crop the FOV, adding a flavor of crop sensor. In fact, the RP has that exact concept

The R flange is intended for maximum aperature and FF would be optimal to capture all of the lights; aps-c sensor would be a sacrifice.

A pro version should feature:
-FF 35mp (option to crop to 25MP)
-7fps @ FF; 11fps @ crop mode
-1080p @30.00fps only
-compact body with industry standard LP-E6 battery
-dual pixel AF
-$3200
-release in 2021 to phase out the 5D completely

Jk @ the 30.00fps, a 2008 drama.... if you’re in the VDSLR game then....

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
If you ask me, the same kind of firm that advanced specs like the 28-70/2 could well try to blow more minds with a 100/1.2 at some point.
Even if we ignore the pricing (and the demand that comes with it), I don't think that is feasible if the glass becomes so big, that moving the focus group quickly but precisely becomes an even bigger challenge than it was in the RF 50/1.2 (the developers wrote about it) - and that is definitely a smaller and lighter lens than the 85/1.2, but really not small or light at all in absolute terms.
Actually, the RF 28-70/2 does not seem like unreasonably heavy in comparison(but still very heavy in absolute terms), although it is not quite as perfect optically either.

Upvote 0