What’s next for the Canon EOS R system and the rest of the lineup?

Aug 26, 2015
I would not be the slightest bit surprised if Canon did an RF update of their 8-15mm f4.0L UWA Fisheye for the RF. Or a just a straight 10-15mm f4.0L rectilinear lens UWA (non-fisheye). And perhaps some amalgamated version of the 10-22mm EF & 10-18 EF-S (a more budget minded UWA than any L lens but still a decent performer.
If they asked a few people about either doing a 10-24/4 or 11-24/2.8 in RF mount, then it seems like it will be something close to one of them. Cheap stuff is really not the main priority, unless it is something small like a 50/1.8 IS for the RP, and there will be a pancake lens somewhere down the line as well.

The EF fisheye zoom is small and light, seems perfectly fine for now as-is, especially now, since it even works perfectly with an ND or a CPL drop-in filter as well.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Personal experience with Sigma 35mm on 5DSR was not that pleasant and focus was consistently inconsistent! However, Sigma 20mm on EOS-R is totally different experience. It seems that later Sigma lenses on Canon mirrorless bodies perform quite well and features such as profile based correction and in camera vignetting removal work fine. I haven't tried Sigma's zoom or longer lenses, though.
Yeah, it’s close to impossible for lenses to be inconsistent with sensor based AF. And people can buy all the Sigma lenses in the world if they like. I’m just saying that for me, they are not even an option if they were the only option.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Canon is all-in on full frame cameras due to their higher margins than APS-C sensor cameras

There you have it, lower yields per wafer but higher margins per body. Anyone working to a budget can just get lost in Canon's New Full Frame World.

Do people still really think that Canon is cutting the margin paper-thin on a $1299 RP? They could probably knock a few hundred dollars off that and still be making money. But that would adversely affect the 'de luxe' image of full-frame and lead to downwards price-pressure on other models.

Upvote 0
There you have it, lower yields per wafer but higher margins per body. Anyone working to a budget can just get lost in Canon's New Full Frame World.

Do people still really think that Canon is cutting the margin paper-thin on a $1299 RP? They could probably knock a few hundred dollars off that and still be making money. But that would adversely affect the 'de luxe' image of full-frame and lead to downwards price-pressure on other models.

Full frame sensors don't really require cutting edge silicon technology in terms of features sizes (transistor gate width and metal pitch), so Canon and others can use a few generation older CMOS processes running on possibly fully depreciated fabs or production lines, with very mature yields. The yield on a sensor can be relatively high if very conservative design rules are followed. Cost of a processed 8" wafer in a mature process can be as low as $1500 at high enough volume, and assuming a reasonable yield, it should be possible to get 20-25 good full frame sensors per 8" wafer. This puts the manufacturing cost of a full frame sensor around $60-$75, which should allow Canon to get a good margin on RP (or Sony to get a good margin on A7 ii even when selling it at $1000).

I wouldn't be surprised if Canon is selling RP for $999 by Xmas 2019

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

leviathan18

CR Pro
Feb 13, 2019
They have stated that (for now) "if you are an existing user, we would like you to buy these mirrorless cameras as an addition to your existing system, not a replacement" (of course, it stills works perfectly as a replacement for some uses).
Either moving up to the promised higher-end models or waiting for the more serious next generation should work.

yes they are like RP.......6D...R..5D

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Beyond that, we’ve heard nothing worth reporting about an EOS 7D Mark III or an EOS 90D.

I think i'll have to switch to Nikon :-( :-(

Sorry, but such "threats" amuses me. Once in the old film days, you could buy a "adapter ring" and use different brands of lenses mounts on the same camera mount, but today you can't do that anymore, and once you want to "switch" you will also need to buy a whole set of lenses. So once you have bough enough lenses of one brand, "shift" is more than just "I am upset with them not to do as I like them to", it is a lot of glass you need to replace, and that is extremely expensive. My 7D (almost 10 years old now) is working perfectly and it does not look like I am going to replace it soon (thought I'd like FF body for the noise reduction at high ISO). I also like to see 7DIII coming soon, but I am not a Canon share holder, not one of their executives who need to think about sales and profit. Canon will do, as any other company, what is best for Canon (or Nikon, or Sony, or any other) future, and if they think that abandoning the DSLR is their future, so that is a fact I will have to live with, though I am not sure we will see a drop in the price of the 5D soon...

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
EOS R sensor is very nice. Or out of price range?
Most people don't make large prints, nor make heavy crops, they post pictures on the internet, make A4/letter size albums from their trips, so why one really need something more than 20MP sensor? 6.3 was the "breaker" for 10X15 prints, above that resolution you don't see any difference between 6MP to 100MP picture. 24MP does the same to 20X30, how many of the "disjointed in the 26.2MP sensor" ever print in that size?

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
well, just give me more FPS in Servo Mode on the R - other than that i LOVE it. I just did some testing with my 100 f2.8 IS L on the EOS-R and really it blew me away. My dog wasn't really fast running (just normal walked towards me), i used the R in Av mode, Auto ISO , longest shutter time set to Auto (+2) and AF mode to single with sourroundig 4 or environment (surrounding 9) . I would not normally consider this lens a action lens and i tested it just because i'm gonna test all my EF lenses on the R over time. In fact on my DSLR's i had to do some tough AF adjustements for this lens (using focal) and never was 100% satisfied. The image is the last (before he was too close to me) from a series and i really like the sharpness. It's f2.8 and 1/640s. Shot in raw and exported to jpeg with 2048 px - no idea how this looks here after posting.
View attachment 183146
it looks wonderful!

Upvote 0
Personal experience with Sigma 35mm on 5DSR was not that pleasant and focus was consistently inconsistent! However, Sigma 20mm on EOS-R is totally different experience. It seems that later Sigma lenses on Canon mirrorless bodies perform quite well and features such as profile based correction and in camera vignetting removal work fine. I haven't tried Sigma's zoom or longer lenses, though.
on sensor AF is usually more accurate. That's the advantage of mirrorless... no lens calibration required. That's why many EF users are saying old EF lens are working much better on the R. I expect 3rd party EF lens AF to work much better on the R compared to DSLR. I guess this is the value of the R system that Canon has brought in and also banking on. the AF of EF lens on the R should be way better than EF 3rd party adapted option.

Upvote 0
Mar 20, 2015
Sorry, but such "threats" amuses me.

It's not really a threat, just pragmatism. Most Canon-aligned airshow shooters I know use the 7D2 with one or two lenses, the longest usually being one of the 150-600s*. Switching to Nikon wouldn't actually be that expensive for most of them, particuarly if they sent their long lens in for a mount conversion.

Nikon seems to be tempting more airshowers over every season, and they have some mid-level lenses like the 500mm f/5.6 that Canon shows no interest in replicating.

I can't understand Canon's silence on a possible 7D3. Even just a one-liner in a press release would keep people in the system for another year. I partly blame the photographic press for this, they are so busy fawning over new expensive products that are irrelevant for the majority of their readers instead of asking tough and pertinent questions.

* the really big whites are usually attached to 1DX2 for the guys with crazy money.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TMHKR

EOS 800D
Sep 1, 2018
I do agree that some copies to have unexpected focusing problems in mirror-mode, but so far I really don't have anything bad to say about the Sigma in Live-View mode with the latest firmware, it simply does what's being told, looked at them at 100%, no difference to Canon lenses whatsoever, and why would it behave any differently on an EOS R, I am sure the forums would already been filled with complaints and I am not seeing that so far.

Sigma bashing usually (not always) comes from the people who can't differentiate off-sensor and on-sensor focusing methods - some of them even returning their purchases. Throw your camera to live view mode (basically turning your DSLR to mirrorless), and focus inconsistency problems are gone. This is why mirrorless is the future when it comes to focusing accuracy. Yes, this does no good to older users accustomed to OVF shooting, but still... Oh, I almost forgot - it's not just Sigma. I had the same problem with some of Canon's own fast lenses.

Upvote 0