What’s next for the Canon EOS R system and the rest of the lineup?

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I've done a month-long vacation with the 24-105/4IS (EF, MkI) and the 135/2 and ended up literally never using the 135mm. I think 105 is a good tele end for travel.
I take just my G7X Mark II when I travel. It has the equivalent of 24-100mm field of view. If I ever miss having other focal lengths, it is on the wide side. I stitch some pictures together after I get home, and sometimes shoot with that in mind. Even locally, I sometimes find that when I am using the 24-105mm on my DSLR and have other lenses along in the trunk of the car, they stay in the trunk. And of course there are plenty of times that I head out with just the 100-400mm or the 16-35mm because I know which one suits what I plan to shoot, so I by no means regret buying those fine lenses.

Upvote 0

epiieq1

EOS 5D III, 1DX
Aug 9, 2013
I'm with several others on here. I have a 5D3 I purchased as a pre-order before it came out, and a 1DX (mk 1) I bought about a year before the mk2 came out. I'm looking to upgrade my 5D3 (already replaced the mainboard due to failure and sensor due to dead pixels), and have rented a 5DmkIV and a 5DsR to see what might be a good replacement. I felt like the IV was a minor update to my III and wasn't worth the expense. I loved the 5DsR but wanted some of the newer tech/improved sensor and AF (so a combination of both). I'm hitting the point where I can't wait too much longer as the next wedding and portrait season for me is approaching. Yes, I can get an outdated 5Dmk4, or a 5DsR, or I can wait. I've got such an investment in lenses I don't want to go A7R3 unless Canon shows no progress. I'm torn as I'm looking to get that upgrade, want to go Canon, but their cycles are so slow that sometimes I feel trapped waiting for them.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Personal experience with Sigma 35mm on 5DSR was not that pleasant and focus was consistently inconsistent! However, Sigma 20mm on EOS-R is totally different experience. It seems that later Sigma lenses on Canon mirrorless bodies perform quite well and features such as profile based correction and in camera vignetting removal work fine. I haven't tried Sigma's zoom or longer lenses, though.

I used to have really annoying focus problems with my sigma 35 1.4... and then I noticed over time the mount had gotten very loose (duh no wonder its focusing weird). I found a youtube on how to fix it (quite easy, 3 screws tightened) and since then the focus has been pretty consistent on my 80d.. Mileage may vary, but I think some of the earlier arts like the 35 had issues, the 20mm 1.4 has been rock solid and I love it (other than I can't put any filters on it)

Upvote 0
I never thought I would switch back to Nikon but the D850 trumps the 5DS and Canon doesn’t seem to want to make an equivalent anytime soon. I will lose money switching over since used Nikon equipment seems to be priced higher as there’s less supply but I’m frustrated at this point. I love my 1DX but really want to be able to crop more.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Okay what is wrong with this picture? A 5DS replacement is in the works and already possibly being field-tested with dual card slots and a joystick, but a pro body is not anytime in the near future because sensors are hard to develop esp. for good AF? So this new 100MP 5DS-replacement is not a pro body and is going to have crappy AF then? So its going to be a super high end Canon R that is designed for everyone else other than pros? Not making any sense.

Upvote 0

epiieq1

EOS 5D III, 1DX
Aug 9, 2013
Okay what is wrong with this picture? A 5DS replacement is in the works and already possibly being field-tested with dual card slots and a joystick, but a pro body is not anytime in the near future because sensors are hard to develop esp. for good AF? So this new 100MP 5DS-replacement is not a pro body and is going to have crappy AF then? So its going to be a super high end Canon R that is designed for everyone else other than pros? Not making any sense.

I think it's lack of certainty/information at this point. It's a situation of "these things are coming, but the info isn't out there on what order, and what combination of features." For those that are looking for specific features/updates it makes the talk ratchet up another level because Canon's release cycles are much slower than Sony's and even Nikon's now (just talking FF), and so it's a matter of "oh, look at that, I want/need that feature but I want to stay Canon!" and Canon's response is "what? we'll do it when we deem it appropriate." Granted, Canon is still making good money, but with their dire prediction for the industry you'd think they'd be innovating a little harder. At least in the software tech industry, while the large company's fall can be quick or slow, it does fall if they don't innovate/move forward.

Upvote 0
My travel camera is always Fuji. Unbeaten. My R is my serious camera.

I hope the EOS R Mark II comes with a real mode dial again and just gives a thumb wheel in place of the touch sensor and a rotating wheel on the back like every other FF DSLR. Please Canon. Just the basics. no need to get fancy.

Keep the LCD screen on top though. That's killer.

Upvote 0
The pixels are not the problem, but the other elements on the same die are. The sensor in the Sony A9 has one DAC on the end of each image line! You can’t do that in 180nm which afaik is canons best tech. Sony uses 46nm or so. They developed all that for smartphone cameras and used the same tech on much larger sensors. Canon is speed limited and only can go faster with lower MP, see 1DX2.

B.
True, but 45nm process has been in production for nearly 12 years. All the fabs/production lines should be pretty much fully depreciated by now, and even if you want to set up a new fab that is tuned with some analog process capabilities, you could get most of the production machinery for almost nothing. If Canon is still using 180nm even for their latest generation sensors as you suggested, that is really weird. Especially since metal interconnect at 180nm process can cause significant photo site area reduction for high resolution non-BSI sensors.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What happened with Canon APS-C cameras? Years ago Canon used to be a leader there, having the best bodies and now i can't even think of an up to date APS-C camera from them which is not entry level. The 80D is old, the 7DII is ancient, the M cameras are old or very entry level.
While competitors have D500, X-T3, A6400/A6500.

My guess is Canon is working on some kind of IBIS technology, which will make its first appearance in some kind of a pro-APS-C camera. Not sure if that will be 7D Mk III or M5 successor.

Upvote 0
Me too. This might push me to upgrade my 6D to the R. I'd love to shave some size/weight off my regular walk around gear. For me it's mostly the wide and normal end. I don't use the tele end as much (and I don't expect much in size or weight savings there), so I would probably stick with an adapted 70-300L for a while at least. As an aside, I picked that one up used last year and loved having it on a family trip to Alaska. An R version of that would eventually end up in my kit, but I have to prioritize my gear budget since this is just a hobby for me.

I'm sure they are in the works. Those lenses sell a lot with their lower buy in compared to the 2.8's.

Upvote 0