What’s next from Canon?

Mar 2, 2012
I can't see where IBIS is of that much use on 1DX. the camera is primarily used for sports with long glass that already has multi-mode IS and IBIS is beyond useless for panning shots. If the RS (or whatever it gets called uses the same pixel pitch as the 90D, it will be 83 MP and an awesome camera for portrait and wedding work. That camera will be used with standard and short tele primes with big apertures and it will need all the IS it can get, so I think that is the first place you will see IBIS.

By a wide margin the most used lens on my 1Dx is 24-70

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
On a technological basis all this bickering is pointless because this is all very much like the fairly fast switch-over from CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) television to FLATSCREEN LCD, LED and OLED HD television, where a newcomer technology (diode or plasma-based displays) simply STEAMROLLED over everyone else with a newer, better-looking, more economical and easier to manufacture technology.

And don’t forget physical size! All of a sudden you could have screens a few cm thick! You could also make them very large without insanely deep.

similarly, the phone has done the same to photography. All of a sudden, you have a camera in your pocket that you carry around everywhere. For the masses, they now have a camera that is good enough for most needs and that has been reflected in camera sales. The market for lower end cameras is evaporating. In the “good old days “, it was the Rebel cameras that drove sales, but are those days ending?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...The market for lower end cameras is evaporating. In the “good old days “, it was the Rebel cameras that drove sales, but are those days ending?

I see it a little differently.The market for lower end cameras is definitely shrinking, but I am not sure it is evaporating. There are still a lot of people out there who aspire to an interchangeable lens camera. Most prefer a DSLR, which they consider to be a "real" camera. But in time, the demand for mirrorless could eventually outpace DSLRs, but I think it is too early to know for sure.

My sense is that interchangeable lens camera sales will eventually settle in to about the same percentage of the population that owned these cameras prior to the digital revolution. This was certainly enough to support a robust amateur market, but not at the volume and pace that we became used to over the past 15 years or so. That likely means a slower pace of innovation and a lengthening of time between major upgrades. But, at the same time, the technology is maturing, so it is only natural that the pace of innovation will slow.

I'm not sure how Canon and Nikon will handle this. Will we see annual or biennial releases of new models with slight modifications, or will we see updates once or twice a decade that have major changes?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
one is fact:canon has no mirrorless apcs and no upgraded lenses for apcs.what I think they will make new (after finishing rf)apcs lenses according to new apcs cameras.at least I hope.

Canon is sorely lacking in the armoured personnel carrier department, yes... I imagine most APCs have mirrors, though.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Trigger it optically with the built-in flash.

Cute. Just wonder, if it would work with high-speed and / or TTL flashes, as e.g. Elinchrom ELB 400 / 500, which normally need its own Skyport transmitter. Will have to check, as Eli studio strobes do have an optical bulb to get triggered that way ....

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Trigger it optically with the built-in flash.
And in run and gun situation and when traveling, you know, restaurant outings, leisurely good case for when you need a small camera with a small camera flash to bounce or just direct for infill?
Flash bracket! Oh, wait. Not a small setup anymore.

1B486F2A-C53E-4937-8DB9-BF78698DBA31.jpeg

Upvote 0
I heard that there is a 5DX coming out soon. Not sure how reliable the source is, but he works at a large electronics retailer in the Camera department and said that they had some training at Canon where they were told about it.
5DX or 1DX? A 1DX certainly is coming, a 5DX would seem .. "odd"

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0