What’s next from Canon?

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
As an example, I recently made a simple request of two very regular posters who highly recommend a particular piece of software to post a simple before and after example of the results they are getting and are so impressed with. Neither have.
And as I made very clear to you at the time, I will when the software supports the camera I'm currently using. Although your continued snide banging-on about it is really starting to wear thin...

Besides - to follow the gist of the point you're making - I have before now posted high ISO examples of Photo Ninja's output in the context of demonstrating its value to me at high ISOs: you're not the only one who believes in backing up what he writes with examples.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
It's all well and good to provide examples; I wish there were more, but in many cases there are so many variables that not that much is accomplished. In the end all we really have is opinions and we must weigh the opinions against the degree of respect the person stating them has garnered with us. So, each of us, with our biases, read what's posted and agree or disagree and hopefully in the process learn a little... and hopefully get a chuckle now and then. :)

Jack

Upvote 0
It kinda boggles my mind that people want as much as 80MP to be honest...

I'm curious to see what they do with this new R camera, specifically as a 5DS/R owner. I'd honestly put speed and high ISO performance above more MP as far as improvements I'd like to see. But, I love the OOC color science out of the 5DSR. There's just a vibrancy to its images that the newer cameras in my experience cannot quite match, at least not without a good bit of PP. This includes the 5D4, M6 and now the RP. I'm not getting my hopes up that the "classic look" will make a return.

I cannot say I don't understand you. I still use a 5DIII, the files are quick to load + process. But I feelI could have cleaner images in Low ISO and a better AF in low light while also adding a higher resolution.

Let's say I have an 83MP sensor, why should all the pics be 83MP? that's why Canon created MRAW and SRAW. If you can get MRAW at 41MP and SRAW at 20.5 with a cleaner ISO and higher fps...Why would you complain about having that flexibility?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Scott, I could swear you were once debating with us that "I'm also very used to the various 1 series niceties like AF point linked spot metering" was marginally pointless?? ;)

Jack
It does, in my opinion, have very limited value and is prone to getting unhelpful exposures unless you are quick to adjust exposure and really understand what metering is doing and what it is trying to give you. My comments in previous threads were pointing to the fact that I believe putting that feature in all cameras would end up creating more mossed shots and unhappiness at the camera than making shots.

But I concede I might well be wrong...

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
It does, in my opinion, have very limited value and is prone to getting unhelpful exposures unless you are quick to adjust exposure and really understand what metering is doing and what it is trying to give you. My comments in previous threads were pointing to the fact that I believe putting that feature in all cameras would end up creating more mossed shots and unhappiness at the camera than making shots.

But I concede I might well be wrong...
Auto exposure connected to the focus point is a BRILLIANT feature. :) I switch to manual when I do not want this feature.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
I cannot say I don't understand you. I still use a 5DIII, the files are quick to load + process. But I feelI could have cleaner images in Low ISO and a better AF in low light while also adding a higher resolution.

Let's say I have an 83MP sensor, why should all the pics be 83MP? that's why Canon created MRAW and SRAW. If you can get MRAW at 41MP and SRAW at 20.5 with a cleaner ISO and higher fps...Why would you complain about having that flexibility?
It depends on how lossless that mRAW and sRAW options are.... free cheese?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Auto exposure connected to the focus point is a BRILLIANT feature. :) I switch to manual when I do not want this feature.

There's a huge difference between "exposure weighted towards focus point" and "focus point linked spot metering". I'm very happy with the weighting my RP assigns to the focus point, I'm not sure if proper spot metering would improve things.

And yes, it's a brilliant feature. I attended a nature workshop last weekend and during the instruction about shooting backlit animals the instructor remarked that on my RP I don't need to fight the camera metering as much as the crop DSLR users :)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
There's a huge difference between "exposure weighted towards focus point" and "focus point linked spot metering". I'm very happy with the weighting my RP assigns to the focus point, I'm not sure if proper spot metering would improve things.

And yes, it's a brilliant feature. I attended a nature workshop last weekend and during the instruction about shooting backlit animals the instructor remarked that on my RP I don't need to fight the camera metering as much as the crop DSLR users :)

The spot metered by the 1DX2 is small and for bird photography with auto ISO I find it works very well. It is also handy as a spot meter when manually setting exposure.

Jack

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Given the large decline in camera sales this yr, across all brands, including both DSLRs and Mirrorless total unit sales, it's somewhat surprising that Canon, Nikon, etc., continue to crank out all these new products. I, for one, am especially grateful that Canon continues to develop and market all these new RF lenses, as we also eagerly wait for the next gen R bodies to come to market, enhancing our ability to take full advantage of the aforementioned. Shortly, the big box camera stores will parade their Black Fri sales and inundate our email boxes with their promos. Should be some great sales going on shortly, especially on the DLSR bodies. Last yr, I picked up a 6d Mark ii body, a free Canon grip and accident and spills warranty for what I considered a bargain price of only $1099.00. Who knows what we'll see with this yr's sale promos across both DSLR and Mirrorless lines. Can't wait for those bargains, as we've already seen price drops prior to Black Fri sales. Just hope I've saved up enough money to take advantage of them.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
By the time Canon launches a mirrorless pro body, we are either all retired, or all using Sony. My oh my, Canon is slow these days.. it seems they cannot keep up with other brands that are in te mirrorless market. Just give us a mirrorless pro body, NOW!
What are all those "other brands" with "mirrorless pro bodies" you are talking about? A "pro" wannabe from Sony (A9II) and...?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
What's that supposed to mean? It can't be a proper 5DS replacement without being a pro camera, or does it? I understood those terms to mean that the camera has two card slots and a bit better weather sealing than the R. Maybe an upgraded viewfinder.

With over a year of additional development time and a price tag above the R, I would have considered these a given.

What is the high res R expected to be missing?

It doesn't really say the high megapixel camera won't be "pro grade", but it won't be an "all purpose" pro camera, either, in the same way that the 5D Mark III and 5D Mark IV are general purpose "pro" bodies compared to the 5Ds/5Ds R that are less general purpose and more "specialized high resolution" bodies.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
And yet it will still have superior resolution, and greater cropping potential, to lower MP bodies under the same conditions. Which is all that potential buyers will be interested in.

Of course they will, because only potential buyers who want a very high MP camera and are willing to sacrifice handling speed will be interested in it.

Those who want a more balanced, general purpose pro body to replace their 5D Mark IV will not be interested in it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Ive got an interesting story as to why im possibly very interested in the high mp canon eos r camera.

over the past two years i felt a bit let down by canon for not supporting the "low budged" wildlife community as much as wished for. I had really hoped for the 7d iii and when the rumors about no 7d iii and only a 90d showed up i was very disappointed.
Then i saw sony announcing and releasing the 200-600 and the a7r iv, which seemed to me like everything i had whished for in a portable wildlife setup, so i bought the camera.

But for the last two months i only had problems with the sony setup. my plan was to use my sigma 150-600 sport with canon mount on a sigma mc11 adapter until i could save enough money to buy the sony 200-600. With the adapted lens i had a big backfocus at 600mm and couldnt really use it. So i speed up my saving and quickly bough the 200-600 but i had the same backfocus on that too, so i sent it back.
I then tested my sony a7r iv with a completly different 200-600 at my dealer and again the backfocus. My dealer then exchanged it against a new a7r iv... but still the same backfocus.
I even sent in bouth of my sony a7r iv for repair but they said they cant do anything about it (only sent in the body, not the lens).

Now im visiting my dad and checked out the camera store near his city and tried out their a7r iv and 200-600 they had... again a backfocus.

I dont know why noone so far has talked about this problem. Maybe they dont pixelpeep enough.
Well ... at this point it seems to me like sony is really a huge let down for me.

So i look forward to that canon, but im afraid it probably wont focus well enough for wildlife, what do you guys think?

What is your testing methodology?

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
Canon have outright stated that is what they consider pro. A LOT of pros consider other cameras pro.

Canon has said that a lot in the past, but not so much since the introduction of the 5D Mark III with a 1-series level AF system and dual card slots.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Apr 5, 2016
I'd be very interested in a high megapixel mirrorless camera but only if it has specs good for birding/wildlife, namely great focus and tracking, good high ISO performance and fast fps. Introduce it with a new 100-400 or 200-600 lens and I'm on board!

Yeah, and I'd like a high performance sports car that gets 60 mpg, too.

Upvote 0