What’s next from Canon?

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I had 7 minutes. You spent more than that answering posts today. ;) I'm fixin' to spend the next two hours of my life watching my Los Angeles Rams lose again.

Hey, I've got ten fingers for typing but only two eyes for watching YouTube videos for a reason! :p

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
Hmm, parallel?? ;)

Jack

Yep. Lined up so that the optical axis of the lens is perpendicular to both the sensor and the AF target. That makes the flat target and the sensor parallel to one another. Any other way and you can't be sure the camera is trying to AF at the distance you think you are telling it to.

Those little squares/rectangles in the viewfinder are nowhere near the total area of sensitivity for each AF "point". The camera will focus on the highest area of contrast within the entire area of sensitivity.

Upvote 0

Travel_Photographer

Travel, Landscape, Architecture
Aug 30, 2019
Points are also partially based on the age of a model (when it was introduced and when it was replaced).

The 5D Mark II (as of 11/17/2019) no longer earns any points and is no longer qualified for CPS repairs in the U.S. It once was worth at least 5 points. The 5D Mark III was introduced in 2012 and replaced in 2016 (three years ago), the R is a current camera that was only introduced in 2018.

Edit: Or maybe they just listed it below the EOS 5Ds R instead of with the 5D Mark IV and 5D Mark III... :rolleyes:

The EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L is no longer worth any qualifying points, but is still eligible for CPS repairs (as of 11/17/2019). Introduced in 2002, it was replaced by the EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II in 2012. At one time it was worth 6-8 points.

Here's what's even more interesting. I just went on to see if I could earn the one lonely point for the 5D Mark II that it had previously said it would earn... upon sign-up it said it would give me 6 points, and it did. I added my 400mm F5.6L (for 8 points) and those two products alone were good enough for the lowest-tier free CPS membership (which just gets you expedited repair service, but hey, it's free).

points.jpg

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Next from Canon? Holiday rebates.
It would be nice to see the RF 50mm f/1.2L get a cut... but I doubt any of those top tier lenses will get anything at all. Maybe next year? Praying for an RF 135mm f/1.8L next year. f/2 would be fine though. I'd happily pay $4k for an RF 80-135 f/2L zoom. Just don't tell Canon ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
How did you infer that number?
The human mind is a brilliant invention, but it doesn't allow us to see into anyone else's mind. As human beings we are prisoners of our own minds. Unfortunately we are also wired to infer many things and take actions based on those assumptions. It has worked very well in terms of survival skills (We see a mountain lion crouching down and swishing it's tail and we can infer from that that we might want to take defensive action.) But, this same skill set works very poorly in interpersonal relationships. It is impossible to "observe behavior" and then "infer motivation" with any accuracy. I estimated a 90% fail rate, but I would not be surprised if it is actually much higher than that.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
The human mind is a brilliant invention, but it doesn't allow us to see into anyone else's mind. As human beings we are prisoners of our own minds. Unfortunately we are also wired to infer many things and take actions based on those assumptions. It has worked very well in terms of survival skills (We see a mountain lion crouching down and swishing it's tail and we can infer from that that we might want to take defensive action.) But, this same skill set works very poorly in interpersonal relationships. It is impossible to "observe behavior" and then "infer motivation" with any accuracy. I estimated a 90% fail rate, but I would not be surprised if it is actually much higher than that.
It's even worse on social media where body language and voice inflection are impossible to interpret. So, social media can be the most anti-social interaction there is. People write, but intent is almost impossible to interpret.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Have you not noticed that the newer EOS cameras with .cr3 raw files do not include the M-RAW and S-RAW options?
I have not. I shoot with 5D IV. Have not been looking into what was available with Rebels and R yet. I was sceptical about a lossless “compact RAW file“ option but have no Enough data to form a view.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
It would be nice to see the RF 50mm f/1.2L get a cut... but I doubt any of those top tier lenses will get anything at all. Maybe next year? Praying for an RF 135mm f/1.8L next year. f/2 would be fine though. I'd happily pay $4k for an RF 80-135 f/2L zoom. Just don't tell Canon ;)
I thought it already had a price cut of $200? Maybe I'm just gullible.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Who's got 7 minutes to watch a video? how about summarizing their main point?
Pretty much any man who brings his tablet into the, ahem, "library" has way more than seven minutes to watch a video. Sometimes as much as 20 minutes here... :geek:

(Please note this post is in no way a comment on where this thread has come to!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I have not. I shout with 5D IV. Have not been looking into what was available with Rebels and R yet. I was sceptical about a lossless a “compact RAW file“ option but have no Enough data to form a view.
Here is an explanation of the new C-RAW format from Brian at The Digital Picture. It apparently replaces the M-RAW and S-RAW formats. https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Cameras/Canon-C-RAW-Image-File-Format.aspx

And here is another explanation from Digital Photography Review: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0483301097/quick-look-canons-new-compressed-raw-format

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
Here is an explanation of the new C-RAW format from Brian at The Digital Picture. It apparently replaces the M-RAW and S-RAW formats. https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Cameras/Canon-C-RAW-Image-File-Format.aspx

And here is another explanation from Digital Photography Review: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0483301097/quick-look-canons-new-compressed-raw-format
I have not. I shout with 5D IV. Have not been looking into what was available with Rebels and R yet. I was sceptical about a lossless a “compact RAW file“ option but have no Enough data to form a view.

Thank you. A 40% file size reduction for what seems to be a 98% of quality vs traditional RAW. Fair enough. However 100Mb less 40% equals 60Mb which is still quite a large file. I would rather files around 40Mb or 50Mb if I had to.

Upvote 0
Somebody forwarded me some chatter today that Canon is considering replacing the regular EOS bodies with the R mount system. This would now be the second time that Canon screws me over with a new mount.
If true I'd like to sell my gear and save up for a Leica. What would my stuff approximately still be worth at this point?

Canon 5D Mark II with grip
50L
24-105 4L
135L
200 2.8L
bunch of 430EXII and 5series flashes

• Wow
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Somebody forwarded me some chatter today that Canon is considering replacing the regular EOS bodies with the R mount system. This would now be the second time that Canon screws me over with a new mount.
If true I'd like to sell my gear and save up for a Leica. What would my stuff approximately still be worth at this point?

Canon 5D Mark II with grip $425
50L $850
24-105 4L $400
135L $550
200 2.8L $400
bunch of 430EXII and 5series flashes $50-125

If they are all good condition, less postage and selling fees which work out around 16%.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Canon 5D Mark II with grip
50L
24-105 4L
135L
200 2.8L
bunch of 430EXII and 5series flashes
You're selling your equipment on the basis of some random email?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0