What’s next from Canon?

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Canon Price Watch, they are a way that genuine Canon dealers can somewhat circumvent Canon's minimum advertised price policy. They are 100% legitimate I have bought $10,000's of gear via them, indeed I won't buy any Canon gear without getting a quote from them first. Gordon is super fast with his follow up emails and accurate and professional, can't recommend them highly enough.

Thanks for the tip! Sounds kind of like GreenToe, but specific to Canon. This is very useful to know!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
It isn't the same sensor. It's a variation and that could mean a lot of things. I keep reading people say 'it's the same' but I can't imagine 'the same' sensor in a $6500 camera being dropped part and parcel into a $2400 offering.

Either way - I've done 20MP and it's too damn small. So there's that.
The Canon rep who showed me the R5/R6 told me point blank it’s the exact same sensor. Just going off of what he said.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
"Cool" adapter. An extension grip with a built in cooling fan that forces air up into body for extended 8K 4K120 performance. I think this general concept would be effective but ideally you would have dedicated air routing to the processor which is not currently there.
With a HEPA filter to keep out the dust, dirt & salt?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
That feature should be coming to the rumored M5 Mark II as well. Canon seemed to have realized that the flip down screen on the original M5 was pretty useless for most, which is why the lower priced M50 that came out later got a fully articulating one.

It would be great if it did, I guess. But that camera is just a rumor which we don't know exactly what it will be like or if it will even come out. But we do know what the M5 is and we do know what the M50 is because they both exist and the M50 is more of what I am exactly looking for. I never used the M5, so to make sure I'm not missing annoying, I'm saying an M50 with +2 features.

At times, I do like the flip up-only screen because then I don't have to always say "look at the lens" before taking a a selfie with others in it (usually I do that at music concerts when meeting people in the band). I got so many pics like this with people looking away from the camera. Another reason I would want these smaller cameras is that it's easier for security to allow me to bring them into concerts.

Which reminds me, when people were guessing what new features would be in the R5 for photographers, I forgot to write a new type of screen.
A screen that is fully articulating, but you could also position that same screen to flip up and down. So a combo of both the M50 (R5/R6) type and the M5 (Sony A7iii) type as 1 screen. I already got the designed figured out but not sure how to patent it so i'm letting my little idea out there now.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
The Canon rep who showed me the R5/R6 told me point blank it’s the exact same sensor. Just going off of what he said.

One of the differences I know about for sure is that the sensor in the 1DX III has a ‘high-detail’ low-pass filter, and the R6 uses a simpler traditional low-pass filter. I'm sure there are others but don't know what they are and I doubt they will impact image quality to any degree.

All I know is 20MP is too small for me. I did 20MP in the 7D2. After 30MP in the 5D4 and R, I'll never go backwards in resolution.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Wish one of those UWA super fast RF Prime patents came true. i.e. RF 16mm f1.4 or RF 18mm f1.0/f1.2

I would vote for wider (at least 12mm) and still pretty fast. Maybe an f2. I would love that for Astro. Astro photography is so popular now and Sigma has the canon market cornered. Sony and Nikon have awesome native options. Come on Canon! Show the stars some love.

I would also vote for an UWA zoom (12-24mm) in the F2.8 range. Faster would be a game changer.

Bob

Upvote 0
For the next M camera I'm hoping Canon is adding 10bit 422 like the R5/R6 and similar focus. 4K30 is fine for those cameras. Wouldn't expect them to have 4K60. That would really streamline the capabilities of canon video that has been really lacking and making the M line a nice "pocket" backup for the R line of cameras. Especially with the rumored clog3 for the R5/R6 which will give nicer highlight roll-off!

• Haha
Upvote 0
I must confess, I'm disappointed about the RF 24mm f/2.8 IS STM Macro rumor. Since wide lenses are where the RF mount is supposed to shine, why is the 24mm only 2.8? Why not 2.0, or at least 2.2? I doubt the RF will be much smaller and lighter than the modestly sized EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM, so I guess it will be quite a bit sharper? Since they're calling it a macro, I suppose the MFD will be less than the 8" of the EF, but I want some speed. 2.8 is quick for a zoom at this focal length, not so much for a prime. It's too early in my RF relationship to become disillusioned...

I was looking for this comment.
Now i have no hope about the successor of the forgotten EF 20mm 2.8.

Let's hope it is cheaper than the 24mm 2.8 IS USM.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
But Canon aren't developing any new EF lenses...
That's not what "Canon" said. I can understand your confusion because the actual statement was grossly misrepresented by a number of websites seeking to score more hits. But here is what was actually said:

As you know, last year we launched the RF mount and EOS R system," said Richard Shepherd, pro product marketing senior manager at Canon Europe. "To date we’ve launched ten critically acclaimed lenses, and as it’s a new system we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system. And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.”

So all of this nonsense about Canon abandoning the EF mount can be traced to one Canon Europe employee who simply said they were concentrating on RF for the time being.

Given the extensive EF system, it's no surprise they are comfortable pausing new lens development while they build out the RF system.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Why is doubting there will be one considered bashing? It isn’t. It’s simply speculation either way.
Well some people (not you) don't simply doubt or speculate, they seem compelled to state their opinion as though it were fact and then berate anyone who disagrees.

None of us knows what the future will hold. I am of the opinion that DSLRs and Mirrorless can and will live side by side for the foreseeable future. I've tried to be rational about it and state the reasons for my opinion. I won't go into all of them right now, but when I weigh the arguments in favor and opposed I come out squarely on the side that says the smart business decision for Canon is likely to be to continue developing both and see how the market shakes out.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I'm going to be really bummed if Canon doesn't release a 5DV, so much so that I'm probably going to write an email to Canon USA.

The 1DX3 just doesn't have enough resolution for my needs and the R5 is probably going to be fairly inadequate for motorsports photography (especially karting).

Why is the R5 inadequate. If you use mechanical shutter it seems like it would be far more than adequate. The e-shutter will most likely be inadequate due to sensor read speed being at best 1/60s and I see the 20fps headline as a gimmick on a non-stacked or non-global shutter sensor. But 12fps with mechanical shutter is 1DX performance with 45MP. You are too quick to dismiss an unreleased product.

FWIW I see zero need for a 5DV going forward.

Upvote 0

Eclipsed

EOS R5, "Hefty Fifty" and more.
Apr 30, 2020
DSLRs will always have one advantage: the speed of light. No electronic viewfinder will ever match a mirror.

Honestly, I fail to understand the way some on this forum (not you) have an almost religious devotion to mirrorless systems. I use both. I like both. There are advantages to both. I have yet to see anyone make a solid business argument that Canon is going to walk away from the DSLR market or the EF system anytime soon.

you must have amazing mind reading powers to discern “religious devotion” in people you have never met.

and without even quoting a word of evidence.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
I'm surprised no one has really mentioned the 18-45mm STM yet. That could be a really interesting super compact wide-angle lens for the R series. I'm thinking something along the lines of the cheap but excellent EF-S 10-18mm, but for full frame and with a little extra reach on the long end.

18mm isn't the *most* ultra wide, but 45mm is close enough to 50mm to make it a pretty good walk around lens. Pair that with the 24-105 STM or 24-240mm and you have almost all your bases covered.

Honestly, for hobbyist/consumer photogs out there, Canon is making a pretty great line up here. Pack an EOS RP in a small shoulder bag like the Think Tank Retrospective 7 with the 18-45mm, 24-240mm, and a 600mm f/11 for a vacation(ah, remember when vacations were a thing?) and you have literally everything from ultrawide to 600mm covered for your safari/zoo trip/city trip. Toss in a tiny 35mm f/1.8 and you have low-light covered for when you walk inside a museum.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
The EOS R5 was the perfect replacement to my secondary-body 5D mark III that I've been waiting for, so now the game is waiting for the EOS-R1 to replace my 1DX Mark II.

Ultimately the main reason for me wanting to fully switch is RF glass. My ideal set up for paid work right now would be the 28-70mm F/2 and the RF 70-200mm f/2.8, but as long as my 1DX Mark II is in my kit, one of my cameras is limited to EF glass.

As for lenses, I guess I'm a bit conflicted overall. I have a lot of existing RF glass(28-70, 70-200, 85 either 2 or 1.2) to buy which is going to be pricey, so I'm not sure how long it'll be before I can get to something new. But if Canon releases the 14-24mm f/1.4 or F/2 lens they've patented, that could be really exciting and would probably end up in my bag at some point. Another thing I'd love to see is a 135mm f/2 update, though I'm concerned that would end up expensive enough to offset part of what made the original 135mm so special in the first place.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Given the extensive EF system, it's no surprise they are comfortable pausing new lens development while they build out the RF system.

They will be building out the RF system for many years to come. The last EF lenses were released in 2018. Since 2018, Canon released 15 (fifteen) RF lenses and 0 (zero) EF lenses.
My bet is we've already seen the last EF lens and the last EF camera (1DxIII). 90D was the last EF-S crop one. The M line will probably continue to live (that is being upgraded).

5DV? same elusive dream as 7DIII. I think there's a non-zero chance Canon releases it next year as a 5D line swan song, but the chance is really small IMO.

I'm moving to mirorrless and the R line, will keep all my EF lenses for now and will be upgrading slowly to the RF ones. My EF 16-35 f4LII will be the first candidate to be replaced by RF 15-35 f2.8. Don't know if and when that happens as I've already scratched the bottom with the R5 preorder.

Upvote 0