What’s this, then, about crop being better than full frame for macro?

Feb 15, 2015
DoF decreases with increased magnification. Consider you take a FF 100 mm lens focused at 1:2 at f/8. It has a certain DoF in mm on the object. If you put same lens at same setting on crop body, you still have the same absolute DoF but at a 1.6x higher magnification. So far so good.

However, once you enlarge the image, the difference goes out of the window, because the image from FF sensor needs less enlargement to get to say an 8x10" print (8x) than from a crop sensor (~12x), which also increases the blur circles/Airy disks. So we are back at the very same place.

If you only enlarge very little, the Airy disk may be still sufficiently small to not be noticeable. But once you go a bit larger, it's all a wash. Eventually, crop will no longer have the file size to print large, while FF can still pull information.

Nice marketing, but optically not sound. I liken it to calling crop "Advanced Photo System". There is nothing advanced about it.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
If you're going to be cropping heavily anyway, at least the crop sensor saves you some space, and unless you're using the 5Ds the crop sensor will be more dense, and theoretically provide more fine detail.
I did often prefer the 5D2 for product photography, but that's more a "close focus" scenario than full macro, I could have used any lens with more then .2 magnification.

Upvote 0