What a Full Frame Canon Mirrorless Needs To Have To Be Successful

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Don Haines said:
agreed!

Now a FF mirrorless..... that's a different story!

I guess you guys are right, there's no reason I can think of NOT to use an auto-detect EFS mount on a full frame camera. I cannot think of any downside. if you had a 50-ish megapixel FF camera that become a 30-ish megapixel APSC, that would be neat.

On the other hand, I also can't really think of any EFS lenses I'd want to mount onto a full frame camera, except maybe 17-135 (which would crop 1.6x that), as it is a very nice lens for video, with its very quiet and fast AF motor, that also allows for electronic W/T control.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
Anyone Using Vintage Leica M Lenses want to use them FF?

I am almost all Canon EOS -- the rest Leica glass. I'm testing a Canon M5 next week with my EF glass but am curious as to trying Leica M vintage lenses on the M5 -- don't have time to order an adapter...

Do you shoot your Canon mirrorless with Leica M glass?

Seems like a natural idea if you like the richness of 50 year old glass....

I'll buy the FF Canon mirrorless even if it is EF/EF-s only but if it is Canon M mount, I could change adapters from Canon EF to Leica M as required!

Just curious!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Piko-fr said:
I think that keeping the EF mount and especially using the Canon EOS lenses with the mirrorless Canon is not possible.The lens-to-sensor distance of a mirrorless camera is less than the lens-to-sensor distance of DSLRs. So for the future Nikon or Canon, the use of an "old" lens will need an adapter.

Certainly it's possible. The 44mm flange focal distance could be maintained on a mirrorless body either with a deeper body or a 'snout' for the lens mount (e.g., Sigma Quattro).

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Talys said:
Don Haines said:
agreed!

I guess you guys are right, there's no reason I can think of NOT to use an auto-detect EFS mount on a full frame camera. I cannot think of any downside. if you had a 50-ish megapixel FF camera that become a 30-ish megapixel APSC, that would be neat.

On the other hand, I also can't really think of any EFS lenses I'd want to mount onto a full frame camera, except maybe 17-135 (which would crop 1.6x that), as it is a very nice lens for video, with its very quiet and fast AF motor, that also allows for electronic W/T control.

I'm thinking of this from a "how do we sell more" viewpoint.... If you are a crop shooter and you decide to go FF, it can cost a lot to get all those new lenses, where this way you could get a new body and gradually upgrade..... It might tempt more people to make the jump to FF.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Don Haines said:
Talys said:
Don Haines said:
agreed!

I'm thinking of this from a "how do we sell more" viewpoint.... If you are a crop shooter and you decide to go FF, it can cost a lot to get all those new lenses, where this way you could get a new body and gradually upgrade..... It might tempt more people to make the jump to FF.

Definitely! The ability to use EFS on the full frame would encourage a lot of people to experiment or make the jump, I think. Anything to smooth out the transition curve.

The Sony implementation is really nice; it's transparent, and you just end up with a lovely 18 megapixel APSC camera. If they did that on Canon, I'd definitely be happy.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Piko-fr said:
I think that keeping the EF mount and especially using the Canon EOS lenses with the mirrorless Canon is not possible.The lens-to-sensor distance of a mirrorless camera is less than the lens-to-sensor distance of DSLRs. So for the future Nikon or Canon, the use of an "old" lens will need an adapter.

The flange back distance from lens to sensor can be whatever the manufacturer wants. Current mirrorless designs take advantage of the lack of need to provide clearance for a moving mirror and make the camera smaller. This is popular in some markets, not so popular in others. The point is that being mirrorless does not mean a lens must be closer, that causes lots of design issues, particularly at the edges of the sensor due to the angle that light rays strike.

Upvote 0