What about new crops ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Pure speculation on my part, but I think we are entering a period where refresh cycles for all DSLR's will get longer. The technology is maturing and I doubt we will see the rapid advancements that occurred in the first decade of this century.

Honestly, I have a very hard time figuring out what Canon would put in a Rebel that would add value and still not infringe on the 60D.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Canon competing on the basis of pricing, rather than features, for the next year.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

unfocused said:
Pure speculation on my part, but I think we are entering a period where refresh cycles for all DSLR's will get longer. The technology is maturing and I doubt we will see the rapid advancements that occurred in the first decade of this century.

Honestly, I have a very hard time figuring out what Canon would put in a Rebel that would add value and still not infringe on the 60D.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Canon competing on the basis of pricing, rather than features, for the next year.

Rebel takes over from the 60D (or nearly)
70D takes over from the 7D
3D is the next new camera

Upvote 0
T

thejoyofsobe

the Rebels target a completely different market than the pro bodies. the pros aren't going to shell out the dough except for real, substantial gains which take longer to realize. take the progression of the 5D, 5D2 and now 5D3. each one was a great substantial leap forward which only leaves you wondering just how great the 5D4 will be 3-4 years from now.

for a lot of consumers it's been decently successful putting out a Rebel every year where each summer and Christmas you've got a new model with its own bells and whistles to distinguish it from its predecessor to justify it being overpriced. moreover you've got the more conscious ones going after the previous model which is still in production instead of balking altogether and Canon makes a profit on it too. that's a pretty different environment than those professional cameras with constantly high prices and longer refresh rates. as far as guts go, little has changed in the Rebels since the Rebel t2i and other than Digic 5 I'm not sure how much will change with the Rebel t4i but Canon needs those new models because they surely couldn't keep charging $800 for a Rebel t2i for three straight years while waiting for the 7D2 to debut and hand down its guts.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.