What about the 1d Mark IV? Does anyone here own one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BornNearDaBayou

I am looking at potentially getting this camera in the near future. How is the image quality compared to the 5d II that I ALREADY OWN? I think it gets overlooked a lot in these forums....and it is several years old.

But if I can find one for a great price, wouldn't it be worth it to splurge and get one? Also, the much older 1D Mark III (10.1 MP) can be had for very cheap. Maybe it would be a charmer if I sell my only Nikon body, the D7000.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I mainly do street photography and landscape. But I plan on starting to photograph surfers in the next few months.

Jul 21, 2010
BornNearDaBayou said:
But I plan on starting to photograph surfers in the next few months.

The 1D IV will excel for that use. The AF system is leaps and bounds ahead of the 5DII, and while the ISO performance is not as good as the 5DII at 'normal' ISO settings (50-3200), at ISO 6400 and higher the 1D IV is a bit better.

Upvote 0

Crapking

"Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
Nov 9, 2011
jjlabella.photoshelter.com
Just rented it 2 wks ago and fell in love with it (c/w my 7D), so I bought it :)

Agree with Neuro - excels in low-light/high ISO
Here is a sample photo in a terribly lit indoor gym (concert hall) with the 1DIV at iso 12,800, using the 70-200/2/8L IS II on a monopod at 2.8. 1/1000 (Tv) and minimally processed with Adobe Camera Raw.

PVC18Yellowreedits1D053 by PVC 2012, on Flickr

Upvote 0
F

Flake

Am I reading this right? The 1D MkIV is several years old?? It was reviewed on DPreview (normally the time cameras go on general release) February 2010 , I wouldn't describe a two year old model as several years old.

The preceeding camera (MkIII) had problems with its autofocus, finding objects approaching the camera at speed particularly difficult, later models had a blue spot to show they had an update to the AF sub mirror box assembly, older models were recalled, so if you are considering one make sure its had the mods fitted.

Both of these cameras a professional models, and favoured by sports / action photographers & the paparazzi, some will have led very hard lives and you should avoid those which look a little tired.

The Mark IV was given a gold award by Dpreview, it's a great camera with class leading image quality, but are you prepared for the levels of customisation that it allows? Even the seasoned testers at DPreview found the degree of customisation of the AF system 'challenging'.

Upvote 0
C

Cannon Man

I have had a 5D Mark II before and i swapped it for the 1DIV 1,5 years ago and they are totally in a different class! in terms of ergonomics, reliability, build quality, functions, everything.

I could never go back for a second using the 5D on a real man's photo job =)

I have 2 1D Mark IV's myself and i bought another two for my business and i love them to death!
After using them for that time, every time i pick up my 1D i appreciate what it is and what it does a whole lot.

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

I have 2 7Ds and a 1D4. Under "normal" conditions I tend to turn to the 7D because the 1D4 just feels awkward in my hands. It's big and bulky and I never liked how it felt. If I'm shooting for important clients or when the lighting is challenging, I'll bust out the 1D4. Additionally, and I know this is stupid, but clients look at the 1D4 and are immediately impressed by the looks of the machine. I don't know how many times I've had people say things like "damn, look at that thing." It really does make you look like more of a pro and not just a dude with a camera.

For whatever that's worth....

Upvote 0
One man's cheap is another man's horrifyingly expensive. :eek: From everything I've read, it is a wonderful camera, but I really doubt you'll see it drop much in price/value. It's nice to think the 1DX will make it drop like a stone (Nice if don't have one) but the 1DX is $6800, and will be back ordered for 6-12 months. The Mark IV is selling for $4100ish used on eBay, and I'll bet it still will be in 6 months. The 1DX is also new tech that will have it's problems while many shoppers will opt for the tried and true.

On the other hand, if you need o get rid of your for say a grand, call me ;D

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

Flake said:
The Mark IV was given a gold award by Dpreview, it's a great camera with class leading image quality, but are you prepared for the levels of customisation that it allows? Even the seasoned testers at DPreview found the degree of customisation of the AF system 'challenging'.

It is only challenging if you mess with it. Mine is pretty much the factory default. Only real change is the use of joystick for AF without pressing the other button first. This keeps it in line with the other cameras I have

Upvote 0
P

Panurus

A great tools of the 1D mk IV is the exposure level indicator.

You have to use the fel button and:

1.With multi spot metering readings, you can see the relative exposure levels of multiple areas in the picture and set the exposure to obtain the desires result.

2. with flash : the flash exposure level is a big plus.
Metered Manual Flash exposure is very easy with this.

The main difference between CANON and NIKON.

Upvote 0
C

CanonFanNum1

BornNearDaBayou said:
I am looking at potentially getting this camera in the near future. How is the image quality compared to the 5d II that I ALREADY OWN? I think it gets overlooked a lot in these forums....and it is several years old.

But if I can find one for a great price, wouldn't it be worth it to splurge and get one? Also, the much older 1D Mark III (10.1 MP) can be had for very cheap. Maybe it would be a charmer if I sell my only Nikon body, the D7000.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. BTW, I mainly do street photography and landscape. But I plan on starting to photograph surfers in the next few months.

I traded my 7D for 1DMKIV last year and am very happy with the move. I have 5DMKII that is a nice compliment to 1DMKIV... I leave the 1DMKIV behind when I know I wont shoot any action. For action, I'll have both on me and use the 5DMKII only for my secondary lens choice when stuff gets crazy (ideally the 2nd body would be either 5DMKIII with better AF\FPS or another 1DMKIV or get IDX and demote IDMKIV to secondary :D <= dreaming).

Anywho... as others have said, its not that old and has met all of my expectations. The iso 12,800 stuff is just amazing... 10 FPS with great AF differentiates it from the 7D. That said, I wouldnt be surprised to see the 7DmkII go after similar capabilites (the 7D was better than the 1DmkIII if I recall... lots of people are happy with 7D instead of 1DmkIV too... it's just your personal\professional pain point).

As for surfers... I used the 1DmkIV last Nov at the ASP Rip Curl in SF. The 10 FPS bursts were pretty cool :). Take a look if you like (www.jmhpics.com). [... puts link to site ... expects noobs to flame him ... don't care :)]

Hope this helps...

Final comment to keep in mind... *generally speaking*... $4k in really good glass will probably improve your photos more than a $4k body will (holding everything equal). After your glass is top-shelf, then dable in better bodies (and keep in mind, the glass will retain\appreaciate whereas the body will depreciate with newer tech coming out).

Upvote 0
W

willrobb

nice surf shots, liked the nature and racing shots too, a +1 rather than a flaming from me, to be honest I'd rather see pics that back up the words :p

The 1DmkIV and 5DmkII combo must be a great combo, I have to admit a twinge of jealousy. I was nearly there two years ago, had the 5DmkII, was selling the 5DC, was tossing up between the 1DmkIV and a 7D, but it was only two months to our my wedding/honeymoon and I plumped for the 7D and spent the rest on the honeymoon...I'm still happily married so I guess I was right ;-) Happy to have two 5DmkII bodies now, but the 1DmkIV still tempts me dearly....

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
Reading this thread just confirms to me that there is much more to the 1 series then simply spec. 18 months ago I almost got the 1DIV but instead I got the 5DmkII because I really wanted a full frame. I had been 10 years out of photography so I had forgottened how pro bodies are good. Today while I like the 5DmkII, I am just realizing I need a 1 series camera and this is why I cant wait for the 1DX! Like willrob, I am a bit jealous too, but a good kind of jealousy!

Jacques

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.