What do the yellow boxes by your avatar name indicate?

CurtL5 said:
So THAT is why my camera is wrong!
:eek: :eek: :eek:

(insert epiphany emoji here...)

I am not afraid to admit early on, it was driving me crazy that I couldn't figure out how to change whatever setting had me a "Canonflex" as my camera. In hindsight, I should have been OK with it, the Canonflex is a pretty cool thing to be.

Upvote 0
Tabor Warren Photography said:
Jane said:
So what CR Admin is saying is that it's the number of posts not the quality that counts??? While many of the top contributors have really valuable input, it's easy for anyone to just say "nice picture" or something equally unmeaty to boost their post counts and enter exclusive circles. Really??
Yes. ;D
Agree. :->

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Marsu42 said:
Jane said:
So what CR Admin is saying is that it's the number of posts not the quality that counts??? While many of the top contributors have really valuable input, it's easy for anyone to just say "nice picture" or something equally unmeaty to boost their post counts and enter exclusive circles. Really??
Yes. ;D

That's how it works, but I really have not seen a issue with those with hundreds of posts trying to build up their numbers. Its not a problem in any event, the moderators read a lot of posts and know who is who among frequent posters.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Marsu42 said:
Jane said:
Yes. ;D
That's how it works, but I really have not seen a issue with those with hundreds of posts trying to build up their numbers. Its not a problem in any event, the moderators read a lot of posts and know who is who among frequent posters.
Correct. :p

Ok, really, when in doubt just look into the post history - personally I pride myself for trying not to spam the forum. That's why I mostly edit quotes to keep them short and merge multiple replies/quotes into a single post. Some other forums have a minimum quote/own content relation ratio, but I guess that's not possible with the current cr software.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
serendipidy said:
Mt Spokane has nine. Is that the most you can get?

I don't get it. Is it only based on recent activity? Or on seniority (reg time)?
neuro - ~15k posts = 8 points
spokane ~10k posts = 9 points

I'm much more efficient: just 100 posts to get 4 boxes. :)

Or is it an exponential function? :eek:

Upvote 0

DominoDude

Certified photon catcher
Feb 7, 2013
::1
CR Backup Admin said:
tayassu said:
It is a visualisation of your post number... Or the camera under it. Neuro has the most, while first posters have only one. ;)

The forum Membership is broken into several member groups. Each member group has a name associated with it, and a number of bars, stars, etc.

As the number of posts goes up, a Member is automatically moved to a different member group, and the number of bars changes to the setting for that member group. We could have done it like Canon Cameras, and reduced the number of bard down to one for the highest level of posts.

One advantage of breaking the membership up into different groups is our ability to allow different forum capabilities to higher posting members. We can also setup member groups by invitation or subscription only, and make them visible to certain groups only.

That's why you don't see the groups reserved for selfies and nude photos posted by movie stars and celebrities ;)

You don't see the user group that Admins use to exchange routine forum operation information either.

The Buy and Sell group is another example of a limited membership group, everyone can see it and post to a existing topic, but starting a new for sale topic is limited.
*reads the bold line above, and compares with the stats page and who has most time online* Aha, now it all makes sense! :p
Also imagined that the coloured boxes related to the Yellow cards and Red cards in football. (Soccer to those who believe that football means carrying around an ellipsoid with your hands.) ::)

Upvote 0
Pancho said:
Marsu42 said:
serendipidy said:
I don't get it. Is it only based on recent activity? Or on seniority (reg time)?
Marsu42 ~5K posts = 7 points

I don't know if I've made myself clear: neuro has *less* boxes with *more* posts!

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
Pancho said:
Marsu42 said:
serendipidy said:
Marsu42 ~5K posts = 7 points

I don't know if I've made myself clear: neuro has *less* boxes with *more* posts!
Yes it was clear :)
I just wanted to point that with ""only"" 5K posts you have just 1 point less than Neuro ;)

Upvote 0
TeT said:
AcutancePhotography said:
I thought the yellow boxes were an indication of how many people you pissed off with your posts. :)
How many does Dilbert have?

Rather don't ask - I'm happy the "Karma" rating of old times is gone for some years. People not just being controversial, but constantly annoying everyone else don't need numbers or boxes to be remembered :-o

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
NancyP said:
I never paid attention. Now that I have, you need to award at least another box to Neuroanatomist, who has 8 boxes and >14K posts, because MtSpokanePhotography has 9 boxes and a "mere" >9K posts. ;D Box Wars!

I was wondering when someone would notice that. Neuro does not get all the perks :)

Now you've done it, he got two more bars.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Marsu42 said:
Some other forums have a minimum quote/own content relation ratio, but I guess that's not possible with the current cr software.

I have not been able to limit the size of a quotation field, or to remove images that are included in a quote thru the standard moderator interface. Its probably possible to modify the program to do this, but then, with every new version of SMF, it will have to be modified and tested, and fooling around with things like that commonly break a large forum like CR.

Strange things creep in all the time from some seemingly unrelated change.

Upvote 0