What do you want in a 5DSR MkII?

Jan 29, 2011
I've been mulling over getting a 5DSr since they came out but have always held off thinking just a couple more features would keep me happier for longer. Anyway the primary reason for a high MP camera is I print on a 24" printer regularly so would take the 'hero' shots with one, 24"x36" prints really need more than 20MP, also I have a couple of thousand slides I want digitized and only want to do it once, however it's waited this long so I'm in no real rush on that.

Anyway there are a few things I'd really like to see in a MkII.

1/ On sensor ADC. I have the newer sensors and they make a difference, sometimes.
2/ WiFi. I like remote control and am looking forwards to DPP Express on the iPad.
3/ Illuminated buttons. I do a little night sky stuff and illuminated buttons would work very well for that.
4/ GPS. I've come to take it for granted since having it and it adds a nice search term.

What are you looking for in a 5DSr MkII?

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 15, 2015
Interchangeable focusing screens like on the 5D2. Never understood why Canon abandoned that on the later 5D models, particularly on the 5Ds/R.

Easier accessible exposure correction. Flash exposure correction is easily accessible through buttons on top, but for regular exposure correction you have to dive into the menus. Beyond bizarre.

Toss out video. This is a still camera.

Upvote 0
I've been mulling over getting a 5DSr since they came out but have always held off thinking just a couple more features would keep me happier for longer. Anyway the primary reason for a high MP camera is I print on a 24" printer regularly so would take the 'hero' shots with one, 24"x36" prints really need more than 20MP, also I have a couple of thousand slides I want digitized and only want to do it once, however it's waited this long so I'm in no real rush on that.

1/ On sensor ADC. I have the newer sensors and they make a difference, sometimes.
2/ WiFi. I like remote control and am looking forwards to DPP Express on the iPad.
3/ Illuminated buttons. I do a little night sky stuff and illuminated buttons would work very well for that.
4/ GPS. I've come to take it for granted since having it and it adds a nice search term.

A reasonable and realistic list, there's no reason it shouldn't have those things. For me, it would be slightly higher native ISO range (although one can shoot the 5Ds at 12800 and brighten it with pretty good results), and slightly higher fps. Alternatively, a much higher resolution (I am intrigued by Canon's demonstration 100MP+ sensors), though I wouldn't expect both.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..]

1/ Tilty-flippy screen
2/ Real GPS, not the fake bluetooth-to-phone version.

And a distant third:

3/ More FPS, Ideally in line with the 7D1 I currently have, so 8 FPS

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The 5DSR is my favourite. I am happy with 50 mpx as the files are pretty hefty. Good improvements for me would be speed via on-sensor ADC, much larger buffer, shorter lag, better DR at low iso and higher iso range. AF is currently good by Canon standards but I would like to see improved tracking. For me, the high pixel density and absence of AA-filter enable considerable cropping and extend the effective reach over the 5DIV by about 50%. The current model is still a very good body.

Upvote 0
I rented it and after 3 days of getting used to shooting at such high resolution (had to throw away a lot of what I can get away with on the 5D3), I fell in love.

I don't think it needs a MP bump, just give me a better 50MP sensor that has better noise control at higher ISOs and of course the ever talked about DR. A larger and faster buffer would be very welcomed. Some of those 5DIV features where you can control it from your phone, so I don't have to touch the camera would be awesome. Aside from that, sure a flip screen would be awesome but I don't see that happening.

And to add to brad-man's comment about not waiting for a v2, this is a bit tempting. LensAuthority has some of their used ones on sale for <= $2300 USD.
https://www.lensauthority.com/products/canon-eos-5ds-r-camera

Upvote 0

I agree with all of this, but I think I could deal without GPS. A flipping screen would be nice as well, but I don't see that coming if they use the 5D IV body again. I'd like to see better low light performance (specifically higher-ISO options) as I do a reasonable amount of landscape astro photography at high-iso (median stacked to reduce noise). It's not uncommon for me to shoot the night sky over 12,000 ISO, but if I don't have the option to even go that high then I'd probably need a tracking mount.

I may be alone on this, but I think such a product could be really really interesting if it had the option to switch to APS C crop (obviously EF-S wouldn't be an option here), reading only the centre of the frame, then increasing shutter speed since the data transfer rates would be reduced. If the camera could operate as an APS-C for BIF with a high-shutter speed then it really could be best of both worlds. I guess you'd need some sort of crop outline to be present in the viewfinder or be a mirrorless camera to help people visualize what that's going to look like, but that would be a really interesting value proposition to me.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I may be alone on this, but I think such a product could be really really interesting if it had the option to switch to APS C crop (obviously EF-S wouldn't be an option here), reading only the centre of the frame, then increasing shutter speed since the data transfer rates would be reduced. If the camera could operate as an APS-C for BIF with a high-shutter speed then it really could be best of both worlds. I guess you'd need some sort of crop outline to be present in the viewfinder or be a mirrorless camera to help people visualize what that's going to look like, but that would be a really interesting value proposition to me.

I don't think you are alone in the desire, I am certain you will be forever disappointed as I'm sure Canon will never make a FF EF-s enabled EOS camera, the mirror gets in the way for some lenses so they'd have to subdivide the EF-s lenses retroactively.

Upvote 0
I don't think you are alone in the desire, I am certain you will be forever disappointed as I'm sure Canon will never make a FF EF-s enabled EOS camera, the mirror gets in the way for some lenses so they'd have to subdivide the EF-s lenses retroactively.
Oh yes, I agree with that on the EF-S lens compatibility. However, I mean I would love to centre crop the sensor if it meant faster shutter speeds, even if EF-S lenses wouldn't mount. I'm thinking more along the lines of the 5DS/R becoming similar to a 7D replacement which can't use EF-S.

The way I see it, the 7D has a great advantage for wildlife shooting in that the crop ratio gives you some extra reach with EF lenses, and the shutter speed is quite fast. The 5DS/R gives you great resolution, but at the cost of burst speed. My thinking was really that if you put the mirror/shutter assembly from the 1DXii in the 5DSR, limited to 5 fps in full frame mode and 10 fps in crop mode (or whatever is possible given the data transfer rates possible and the reduction in data transfer needs based on a 1.6x centre crop of the sensor read out), your 5DS/R could also be nearly equivalent to a 7D for wildlife and sports (well, an EF-only 7D). That would let the camera fill two niches at once in my mind.

No doubt it's a pipe dream, but it seems feasible (though probably pricy).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I very much like the current version of the 5DSR. But it does have shortcomings that prevent it from being my main camera, as much as I dislike the softer output from the 5D4:

- More speed. The delay between shot and review can be several seconds, particularly after a burst Would also appreciate a bump in FPS, to around 7-8.

- Extended ISO range: although below modern FF standards, there are times I wish the camera natively reached 12,800 ISO instead of being capped at 6400.

Less important, a “nice to have”:

- Enhanced crop options: I like that on the new EOS R, you can select C-RAW mode and increase buffer capacity, as well as 1.6x cropped RAW shots at a smaller file size. I hope these can be extended to a 5DSR successor.

One last thing, to anyone on the fence about the 5DS series: if you are a details guy, and especially if you also own a 35 1.4, 85 1.4 or big white, I highly recommend this camera. Nothing else in the Canon system comes close, including the 5D4. There is no AA filter or aggressive NR algorithm (if you shoot RAW) to hold you back. Only your stability. I think I’ve only had the moire issue come up on two images (out of 1000+) and then, it was very slight and easily correctable. I will say that to get the most out of the sensor it is best to expose correctly or as close to it as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I very much like the current version of the 5DSR. But it does have shortcomings that prevent it from being my main camera, as much as I dislike the softer output from the 5D4:

- More speed. The delay between shot and review can be several seconds, particularly after a burst Would also appreciate a bump in FPS, to around 7-8.

- Extended ISO range: although below modern FF standards, there are times I wish the camera natively reached 12,800 ISO instead of being capped at 6400.

Less important, a “nice to have”:

- Enhanced crop options: I like that on the new EOS R, you can select C-RAW mode and increase buffer capacity, as well as 1.6x cropped RAW shots at a smaller file size. I hope these can be extended to a 5DSR successor.

One last thing, to anyone on the fence about the 5DS series: if you are a details guy, and especially if you also own a 35 1.4, 85 1.4 or big white, I highly recommend this camera. Nothing else in the Canon system comes close, including the 5D4. There is no AA filter or aggressive NR algorithm (if you shoot RAW) to hold you back. Only your stability. I think I’ve only had the moire issue come up on two images (out of 1000+) and then, it was very slight and easily correctable. I will say that to get the most out of the sensor it is best to expose correctly or as close to it as possible.
Shoot at iso6400 and push a stop if want iso12,800 - it's in the range where DR and noise change linearly with iso so it makes little difference if you underexpose in RAW and push in post or expose at the higher iso.

Upvote 0