what do you want to see 7D Mark III

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
My wish list includes

- Better AF, on part or better than 1Dx M2. Find the 7D M2 does not AF as well as the 1Dx M2 (could be operator error).
- F8 AF on all or at least many points
- Two body options. Body with detached grip (like current) and body w/ integrated grip (similar to the 1Dx M2)
- 10-12 FPS
- I guess 4K video though shoot video < 1% of the time.
- 24 MP
- Low light/High ISO better than current 7D M2 [note: corrected from overly optimistic goal of 1Dx M2] by 1-2 stops
- Cfast and CF card though I suspect we will get Cfast and SD - though with an integrated grip CFast and CF would be possible
- MLU similar to 5DS (option to wait between 0.5 - 2 seconds and then expose sensor)

In this list the only unlikely items are integrated grip (current form factor will remain with an optional grip) and hence no CFast and CF card combination

Anyone else care to share their "realistic" thoughts on what you hope to see in the 7D M3.

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Wish list or anticipated features?

Expected:

Touch Screen,
WiFi, Blue Tooth, NFC,
Incremental improvements in autofocus,
Incremental increase in frame rate,
Incremental improvements in weather sealing,
Increased MP count -- hoping for no more than 26-28,
On Chip ADC,
Multiple f8 focus points.

Possible:

CFast and CF card slots

Hoping For:

Improvements in noise control (I would expect that a half a stop would be about the maximum).

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
Fleetie said:
RGF said:
My wish list includes

- Low light/High ISO better than 1Dx M2 by 1-2 stops

Anyone else care to share their "realistic" thoughts on what you hope to see in the 7D M3.
Ha-ha-ha! With a crop sensor, too! Chortle!

good point. Perhaps 1-2 stops better than current?

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
RGF said:
My wish list includes

- Better AF, on part or better than 1Dx M2. Find the 7D M2 does not AF as well as the 1Dx M2 (could be operator error).
- F8 AF on all or at least many points
- Two body options. Body with detached grip (like current) and body w/ integrated grip (similar to the 1Dx M2)
- 10-12 FPS
- I guess 4K video though shoot video < 1% of the time.
- 24 MP
- Low light/High ISO better than current 7D M2 [note: corrected from overly optimistic goal of 1Dx M2] by 1-2 stops
- Cfast and CF card though I suspect we will get Cfast and SD - though with an integrated grip CFast and CF would be possible
- MLU similar to 5DS (option to wait between 0.5 - 2 seconds and then expose sensor)

In this list the only unlikely items are integrated grip (current form factor will remain with an optional grip) and hence no CFast and CF card combination

OK you basically want everything. But you describe a 6 or 8K euro/dollar/pound camera.

The comparison with the full frame 1DxMkII is so highly unrealistic. Or you are describing Canon 7DMkVI ;D

More down to earth are these:

- Better AF,
- F8 AF on all
- 10-12 FPS
- 24 MP
- Low light/High ISO better than current 7D M2 by (hopefully) 1 stop
- Touch Screen
- Wifi in addition to GPS

There is actually no reason for the very CFAST card. I do not think they will have 4K/60p. CF and SD are OK ( SD UHS-II support would be nice)

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Hector1970 said:
For me it's a better image quality in the end. I don't find the image as clear as it should be especially as ISO goes up. I always feel it's lacking. I don't expect it to be as good as full frame but much better.
12 FPS would be good. I'm not a fan of the 7DII / 5DSR sensor. At the time too many pixels crammed in.
Have you tested 5DsR and 7DII or 7DII only? I thought the same for 5DsR until I bought it. It's IQ is better than 7DII in low ISO (at least up to 1000).

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I'd keep your feet on the ground.

It will likely just be a 7D2 with a little more. A new sensor + 2 more fps + larger buffer + (more or less) the 1DX2 AF system + touchscreen + 4K. Done.

It doesn't need to melt faces, it needs to be fast, focus well, etc. Some folks scream about on-chip ADC with this rig -- and it probably will get it -- but I'm not sure the not-living-at-base-ISO birding/wildlife community needs it or the soccer mom / football dad that buys this even knows what DR is.

- A

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
...tilty-flippy, DPAF are another couple of items I would add to your list ;)
ahsanford said:

It will likely just be a 7D2 with a little more. A new sensor + 2 more fps + larger buffer + (more or less) the 1DX2 AF system + touchscreen + 4K. Done.

It doesn't need to melt faces, it needs to be fast, focus well, etc. Some folks scream about on-chip ADC with this rig -- and it probably will get it -- but I'm not sure the not-living-at-base-ISO birding/wildlife community needs it or the soccer mom / football dad that buys this even knows what DR is.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
SecureGSM said:
...tilty-flippy, DPAF are another couple of items I would add to your list ;)
ahsanford said:

- A

Forgot tilty-flippy. I'd call that a 50-50 chance on a punishing in-the-field camera like this. (Not arguing against it, I'd want one myself.)

But the 7D2 already has DPAF -- it just doesn't have a touchscreen to make it sing right now.

- A

Upvote 0
I am a little mixed on touchscreen/tilty-flippy.

First, it is more fragile than a standard screen, no question, and this is a bang-up device right now (well, as much as you'd bang up any DSLR). So, that's a point against it.

But the feature is absolutely awesome for better perspective photography, which isn't necessarily the use of 7Dii today, but enough people want a single camera to fill multiple needs not just for out on the sports field / track.

Still, if the startup time could be improved significantly, the idea of using the app for live view is incredibly compelling. For instance, I had expected to be using the flip screen on my 80D to get overhead shots of a team meeting, putting the camera up on a monopod and suspending it over the meeting for overhead shots, triggering with a remote. Then I realized that I had a better screen on my phone and it acts as a remote focus and trigger too, so I fired up the app and used that to frame and trigger instead; worked like a charm. The downside is it takes a good 30 seconds to get the app up and connected, and if I were to use this every time I want a ground-level or suspended-over-the-fence shot I'd go insane.

IMHO, Canon will likely give us a tilty-flippy screen on the 7Diii. It just makes sense in their product lineup, and is much less fragile if left in non-tilted position. It is actually more bang-proof when in storage if you flip the screen around when not using it. And, like it or not, it sells devices.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
.. putting the camera up on a monopod and suspending it over the meeting for overhead shots..
It would greatly depend on the Health and Safety regulations in the country of your origin. You may be out of luck or out your house. I am sorry if my sense of humour fails me.. :D
fragile tilty flippy: I take care to attach glass screen protector to the lCD screen of all of my cams right out of the box. it saved my beacon and my wallet on number of occasions.

... And, like it or not, it sells devices....

you bet! for mums and dads especially.

TomDibble said:
I am a little mixed on touchscreen/tilty-flippy.

First, it is more fragile than a standard screen, no question, and this is a bang-up device right now (well, as much as you'd bang up any DSLR). So, that's a point against it.

But the feature is absolutely awesome for better perspective photography, which isn't necessarily the use of 7Dii today, but enough people want a single camera to fill multiple needs not just for out on the sports field / track.

Still, if the startup time could be improved significantly, the idea of using the app for live view is incredibly compelling. For instance, I had expected to be using the flip screen on my 80D to get overhead shots of a team meeting, putting the camera up on a monopod and suspending it over the meeting for overhead shots, triggering with a remote. Then I realized that I had a better screen on my phone and it acts as a remote focus and trigger too, so I fired up the app and used that to frame and trigger instead; worked like a charm. The downside is it takes a good 30 seconds to get the app up and connected, and if I were to use this every time I want a ground-level or suspended-over-the-fence shot I'd go insane.

IMHO, Canon will likely give us a tilty-flippy screen on the 7Diii. It just makes sense in their product lineup, and is much less fragile if left in non-tilted position. It is actually more bang-proof when in storage if you flip the screen around when not using it. And, like it or not, it sells devices.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Ryananthony said:
Why can't Canon make a tilt screen like every other company. I hate the way it folds out and to the side of the camera. And yes, Ive owned and used them before.

Why does Canon not give us [name any feature] that we want? Because they have data that says it won't kill them to leave it out.

Presumably the 7D2 had a tilty-flippy left out because Canon has market research that says it would be less valuable to photographers on sports' sidelines and in the bush shooting wildlife than (say) a general photographer. Or there is a stigma to the more rough/demanding field shooters that such features are more damage-prone -- those folks might prize overall durability/toughness over the upside of a tilty-flippy.

As many have debunked on this forum, tilty-flippy screens work brilliantly and fears of them taking damage can be easily solved by never tilting-swiveling them.

In the end, I think every camera will get a tilty-flippy other than the 1-series. Whether the 7D3 does or not is a 50-50 in my mind right now.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Ryananthony said:
Why can't Canon make a tilt screen like every other company. I hate the way it folds out and to the side of the camera. And yes, Ive owned and used them before.

Also, I missed that other bit. Swiveling to the side is (presumably) for vloggers, who need a front-facing solution.

- A

Upvote 0