What Do You Want To See in the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV?

Silvertt7 said:
midluk said:
One of the features I'm missing in my 70D (and I think it should be in any camera) is a voice memo function to add information to images. So you press a button and you can use the internal microphone to record technical details like how you did the lighting or something regarding the image content.

I think you have a better chance finding a $1,000 bill on the way home today than Canon putting in that feature in the IV ;D
Don't think so. When I'm in Germany and not planning to leave my home again today the feature is more likely ;)
But this thread has the topic "What Do You Want To See?" and it's not about what I think will be in the camera.

Upvote 0
Silvertt7 said:
3kramd5 said:
Silvertt7 said:
Basically, I am expecting Canon to fail with the IV. Fail not because it will be a horrible product but because it will most likely fall short of what the competition is offering.

So you mean it will fail at market? I kinda doubt it, but time will tell.

What do we expect the Mk IV is competing against, anyway? The D750?

No it will not fail at market. Canon can put in the bare minimum in "upgrades" and it will probably still sell very well. The damage will be in what we call "goodwill" in accounting. It's basically reputation and branding. If Canon fails to deliver what the pro enthusiasts have asked for the damage will appear later, not immediately. People will switch systems and demand will slide in future offerings.

What is a 'pro enthusiast'? I thought they were considered separate categories?

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
Silvertt7 said:
3kramd5 said:
Silvertt7 said:
Basically, I am expecting Canon to fail with the IV. Fail not because it will be a horrible product but because it will most likely fall short of what the competition is offering.

No it will not fail at market. Canon can put in the bare minimum in "upgrades" and it will probably still sell very well. The damage will be in what we call "goodwill" in accounting. It's basically reputation and branding. If Canon fails to deliver what the pro enthusiasts have asked for the damage will appear later, not immediately. People will switch systems and demand will slide in future offerings.

What I should have said was pro and prosumers, the target of the 5D.

Upvote 0
I know it will probably get 24-28MP, but I wouldn't mind if it stayed at 20-22MP and these two things happened: DR and high-ISO quality were boosted. I'm talking 1DX low-light performance here.

8-10 fps burst rate.

Dual-pixel AF with full-time AF in video mode.

Built-in intervalometer, like the 7D MkII.

Don't care about 4K at this point, but HD frame rate to 240fps would be awesome.

And bring the price point down to current MkIII street prices ($2499.)

I would rather see a MkIV built for low-light/event, wildlife, and sports performance than something that sacrifices these for a modest increase (24-28) in megapixels. 20MP would be the sweet spot for me. And yes, in keeping with all the other requests in this regard, illuminated focus points. If people want resolution, Canon offers the 5DS/R. Time us event, sports, and wildlife shooters got some full-frame low-light love. ;)

Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
- Builtin Radio-FlashTrigger and Radio-RemoteController (not this IR crap), I am tired of adding this by additional (Yongnuo...) items, I have to carry and set up if I need it.
- Official support for changeable Focusscreens as 5D2
- Full LCD (RGB) in optical viewfinder (hybrid overlay with much more information than only lines). The xxx sensor items for exposure measurement should also measure the color (so little bayermatrix), and you can get a small histogramm of the live picture. It is not as precise as a live histogram (like MagicLantern does on LiveView), sure... but would be a help, to know for example, that the color red will be overexposed If I shot the flower with these settings.
- Fast SDcard to really use it as mass storage (256GB sd card or so on). With current 20MB/sek maximum speed on the sd slot it would take forever to save data on the big card. And before somebody asks: I use a fast 1000x CF card for MagicLantern RAW Video, and had moved the tons of GB afterwards from CF to SD with the MagicLantern Filemanager.... this was slow as hell (4GB/20MB/s=... meeeh)
- Some features from MagicLantern builtin... setup Bulb timer (I select 3minutes, and the camera does it... I don't need some external crap for this...), FocusPeaking, and so on.
- No more megapixel, no more DR needed, thanks...

Upvote 0
For me it needs to have:

1. the Exmor-like low ISO DR

2. A7R II quality oversampled 4k video and not processed to be all mushy and waxy and DNR'ed, with some basic usability features like mini zoomed 100% view box to aid focusing, focusing peaking, zebras; wouldn't hurt if they made it 10bit 4k and RAW HD enabled to one-up the Sony a little (who will probably be moving forward and close to an ATR III by the time this 5D4 ever manages to arrive)

3. i'd like 42MP at 6fps (and it should, if the MP count is on the above 25MP side of things, offer a RAW crop mode, not some useless JPG crop mode like on the 5Ds that does nothing to help fps or buffer performance or card or HD storage space) but with the 5Ds release I have a feeling they will hold back to 24MP in which case I'd hope it would do 8fps so I get some more sports action out of it to make up for the lesser reach for wildlife/sports and lesser detail for landscapes

4. not make or break but I'd like spot metering to AF point for sure and RAW histo without needing ML would be nice, although Canon has trained us to feel like that is asking far too much so I barely dare write this #4

i'm not quite sure #1 will make it into this camera (i would've though to no way, but the recent interview gives it a slight hope) and they sound awfully negative on 4k and decent video on consumer DSLR so I'm thinking to just go A7R II now and not wait yet again

If it ends up say 25MP, 8fps, mushy 1080P 8bit with no usability features, the same old DR then I'd not only not get, not only not just stick with Sony additions as tie-overs, but finally give up my awesome canon lenses and UI and just get some D820 that does it all (I assume a D820 might be basically a DSLR version of the A7R II, only with a bit more fps, certainly in the RAW crop modes). If it did a few major things then I'd not go to Nikom but just add Sony for time time being until finally Canon gets it all together whether it be 5D4 or not until 5D5.

Upvote 0
endiendo said:
As an owner of a 5d III and some L lenses..

- no cinema features.. photographers don't care, and video guys can buy a canon xxC made for this purpose.
- 4k we don't care..

Well I am a 5D3 owner and and owner of quite a few L lenses and I do care.
And it's easy to tell someone to run off and nab a 20k Cxx for their video when you are not the one plopping down the 20k or lugging it around along with your DSLR.

Upvote 0
midluk said:
One of the features I'm missing in my 70D (and I think it should be in any camera) is a voice memo function to add information to images. So you press a button and you can use the internal microphone to record technical details like how you did the lighting or something regarding the image content.

get magic lantern and then you'll (sort of) have that feature

yeah it is nice, so far it's a 1 series only feature, not sure they will drop it lower, so you might have to hope ML comes out for whatever body you get

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
Silvertt7 said:
3kramd5 said:
Silvertt7 said:

It's like a prosumer, only a little more enthusiastic about it

Upvote 0
With regards to the video comments -

I'm not really a video guy but I would still like to see video capabilities in the 5DIV as I would like to have the option to shoot some short video if the need arises. I wouldn't want to be shooting a wedding or an event and someone ask me to take video only to turn around and say "erm well actually I can't do video ..." even if I only shoot one bit of video it in my life, it still has value. No one wants to carry around a separate camera just for the off chance you might need some video.

So I say keep it in there, keep it at 1080p but make it better.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
edknuff said:
As a Pro Architectural and Landscape photographer, I'd love to see:

+3 stops in DR You get close to that in the 5DSR, certainly in editability.
40+ MP You get more than that in the 5DSR.
GPS You get with the GP-E2 on the 5DSR.
Improved low-light performance You get that in the 5DSR, especially if you normalise.
Changeable Focus screens You can change the screens in the 5DSR, not officially, but it works fine.
1 percent Spot Meter The 5DSR does 1.3% spot metering.
Built-in intervalometer You got me there, but a $12 option isn't bad.

Upvote 0
The review button is annoying as it sometimes zooms in the photo when you don't want it to zoom in. Also Sync speed is another. Navigating through the menu takes too long. I would like to see a touch screen version and perhaps a pop out screen like the 70D. Selecting the AF points is not easy to do and would like the toggle button to have that feature (if it is not already in the 5D Mk III then excuse my ignorance).

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Canon Rumors said:
The replacement for the Canon EOS 5D Mark III is going to have some very big shoes to fill and cannot be an incremental improvement of the affordable workhorse of the Canon lineup. The EOS 5D Mark IV has to be a revolutionary upgrade in performance, or people may start looking elsewhere for a camera body solution. I do believe the entire market is waiting to see what Canon does with the EOS 5D Mark IV.

This is the kind of BS that non techno-geeks hate. Unless, of course, you are working for Sony or Nikon. There has never been a revolutionary upgrade in performance of any DSLR. All the upgrades have been incremental. Basic physics has told us this for years. If Canon continues to make extremely reliable and high-quality cameras, then there is no reason not to buy the 5D mark IV. I fell for all the techno-geek talk about the Sony A7's - how far ahead of Canon Sony has risen. Unless, of course, you take normal photos under normal conditions where the extra DR is not even noticeable. I wanted to replace my 6D with the A7 II, but the Canon was better in pretty much all aspects that I cared about.

Yes, people will start looking elsewhere if sites like this continue to perpetuate the techno-geek attitude that all that matters is test results and lots of bells and whistles that end up not mattering when you actually take photos. Yes, 9 fps must be so much better than 8 fps although in real life it will never make a difference. 28 MP must be so much better than 24 MP although no one would ever notice the difference. 14 stops of DR are so much better than 12 stops although it real life shooting you'll never notice the difference.

I have no loyalty to Canon. My first 35mm camera was an Olympus OM-1 - so that is the only camera company that I have a soft spot for. When I have bought cameras in the past (as recently as 2 years ago) I compared brands and bought the camera that I thought had the best IQ, as well as the one I thought had the most consistent and reliable exposures. When I buy my next camera those will be the most important criteria, too. It is highly unlikely that Canon will need to be "revolutionary" or make major changes in order to compete.

But Canon will continue to lose customers as long as the techno-geeks are driving the conversation. I'm sure they are thinking that they are trying to save Canon by forcing changes. Instead they are driving people away.

Upvote 0
Yes !!!
15 stops and I buy it. Period.
Focus peaking would be great,
and an advanced built-in intervalometer. Yep.
Actually - why hasn't Canon done this years ago (like Nikon, hint, hint)
As a landscape photographer I've been considering the 50mp 5DR,
but I'm not greedy. I really only need about 36-40.
and PLEASE extend the standard shutter rate from 30 seconds
to at least 2-3 or 5 minutes.
Thank you Mr Maeda !

SBP_photo said:
and what about some focus peaking?

I used the Sony RX1R about a month ago and I fell in love focus peaking. You can even auto 10x-zoom when focus peeking to dial it in. I have several Rokinon lenses right now and it be great to have this feature.

I agree with many of the others. With a four year life cycle Canon would be nuts not to include 4k. The freaking iPhone shoots 4k. The 5Ds has established itself as the studio camera, this mkIV needs to compete with A7Rii

One last thing. How about a really advanced built-in intervalometer. Something for advanced time-lapse shooting. It's an easy software addition and would be a nice "extra" feature.

Upvote 0
My wish list:
1. square format (36x36mm2). (Drawback: makes camera larger and heavier!)
2. ISO 100-51200 or 102.400 with same or better IQ as ISO 25600 on 5D3 (much more important than square format to me)
3. videos longer that 30 min, pref. around 45 mins or longer.
4. similar star-following abilities as the new Pentax (which means camera should have GPS)
5. built in tima lapse abilities.
6. water resistant, i.e a minute in a heavy shower or even a spilt cup of coffee should not kill te camera.
7 resolution (for 36*24 sensor format) around 6000x4000 or better

For me, points 2,3,5, 6 and 7 are more important than 1 and 4.

Regards.

Upvote 0