What Do You Want To See in the Canon EOS 5D Mark IV?

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
privatebydesign said:
Don Haines said:
I want to see 16 bit RAW files.....

Only if they are accompanied by a true 16 bits of data ;)
Exactly!

If it's more than 14 stops of DR then you need more than 14 bits of data to hold it.... 16 bit RAW files would indicate that Canon has made a major move forward....

Another sign of a major breakthrough would be for DXO to change their formula to calculate "camera" scores.....

Upvote 0
privatebydesign said:
Don Haines said:

You'll do well to get 15 bits of DR in 16 bits. All ADCs have imperfections, so the Effective Number of Bits (ENOB) is almost always less than the number of bits it puts out. Typically you lose one or two bits between the rated number and the ENOB, that's before you lose anything due to sensor deficiencies.

So yes I'd like to canon making the jump to a higher bit depth, 16 would be nice to see, 18 would be interesting... So long as the whole system can benefit.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
rfdesigner said:
privatebydesign said:
Don Haines said:

You'll do well to get 15 bits of DR in 16 bits. All ADCs have imperfections, so the Effective Number of Bits (ENOB) is almost always less than the number of bits it puts out. Typically you lose one or two bits between the rated number and the ENOB, that's before you lose anything due to sensor deficiencies.

So yes I'd like to canon making the jump to a higher bit depth, 16 would be nice to see, 18 would be interesting... So long as the whole system can benefit.

That is a given, even if we need 16 bit files to get better than we have now the increase in file size is something I am happy to live with.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
privatebydesign said:
rfdesigner said:
privatebydesign said:
Don Haines said:

That is a given, even if we need 16 bit files to get better than we have now the increase in file size is something I am happy to live with.
I think that we are all in agreement that 14 bits has more or less reached the end of the road and 16 bits (or more) will be coming soon to a Canon near you :)

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
privatebydesign said:
rfdesigner said:
privatebydesign said:
Don Haines said:

Rumor has it the A7R2 uncompressed files are 2 bytes per pixel. So maybe they're looking ahead, although on a 14-bit system, that's a lot of zeros which would compress nicely...

Upvote 0
NO BRAINER:
NO GIMPED CARD SLOTS! This is, by far, the biggest oversight with the Mk III. Do I want to use both card slots or do I want to shoot fast? Choose one. I don't even care if they dump CF, use a new format, or use SDXC for both, just make both of the card slots equally fast.

In order of preference*:
- NO MORE BANDING
- Increased DR
- 1 stop or more increase in high ISO
- 4k video, with H.265 recording option (like it or not, this codec is the future, all Intel processors from here on out will be able to decode it in hardware. Samsung already has this in their cameras)
- RAW 1080p video option (I love Magic Lantern, I just wish the post-processing wasn't so time intensive)
- At least 120fps 1080p
- Dual-pixel AF
- Touch Screen! To better use DPAF!
- articulated LCD: SO MUCH EASIER TO shoot low, much less neck strain when using a tripod!
- Focus peaking
- Exposures longer than 30s without going into obnoxious bulb mode. Just let me program in the exact exposure time myself.
- Built-in intravolometer: Magic Lantern currently has this, so nice to be able to do timelapses without having to bring a stupid $50 cable with me
- WiFi: I love being able to upload a photo using my phone immediately after taking it with Sony cameras
- Ability to "flag" photos in-camera: I know you can star them, I don't care about that. I don't star photos in LR, I flag them.
- more print buttons

Don't care:
- MP: current is fine
- AF: current is fine
- shooting speed: current is fine
- weather seals: current is fine
- battery life: current is phenominal
- viewfinder: see above

*one of these is a trick.

Upvote 0
WIDEnet said:
Hillsilly said:
- Advanced in-camera macro focus stacking capabilities that allows you to configure the focus adjustments without having to touch your lens.
- Ability to set a shutter speed longer than 30s without having to plug an additional accessory in.
- Electronic shutter for silent operation (and high fps when silent and faster shutter speeds).

FYI you can already get these three today with most recent Canon bodies, including the 5DII and III, with Magic Lateran.

The Auto Focus stacking in ML kinda works, but has a long way to go to be a full feature. It really needs to be able to calculate focal length, sensor size, MP, and aperture in conjunction with inputs on minimum and maximum focus distances in order to automatically decide how many shots need to be taken and at what distances.

It would take a lot of data and a more advanced user interface to make this a feature Canon would be willing to sell in cameras.

It would be a huge incentive for me to upgrade to a new camera, though. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
PhotographyFirst said:
WIDEnet said:
Hillsilly said:
- Advanced in-camera macro focus stacking capabilities that allows you to configure the focus adjustments without having to touch your lens.
- Ability to set a shutter speed longer than 30s without having to plug an additional accessory in.
- Electronic shutter for silent operation (and high fps when silent and faster shutter speeds).

FYI you can already get these three today with most recent Canon bodies, including the 5DII and III, with Magic Lateran.

The Auto Focus stacking in ML kinda works, but has a long way to go to be a full feature. It really needs to be able to calculate focal length, sensor size, MP, and aperture in conjunction with inputs on minimum and maximum focus distances in order to automatically decide how many shots need to be taken and at what distances.

It would take a lot of data and a more advanced user interface to make this a feature Canon would be willing to sell in cameras.

It would be a huge incentive for me to upgrade to a new camera, though. :)

The focus stacking feature in the CamRanger works very well and you can adjust the amount the focus moves.

Upvote 0
rs said:
Eldar said:
neuroanatomist said:
scyrene said:
AudioGlenn said:
Zv said:
wyldeguy said:
eyeland said:
EC in M mode

I still don't fully understand why people ask for this. You are already in M mode. You have full control of your exposure, just change one part of the triangle and you're good. Back in film days that's what you had to do. And in most cases you didn't change the iso, so it was shutter or aperture or you just lived with a sub-optimal meter reading and then corrected in the darkroom. I mean the M is for manual. If you want the camera to compensate for you not doing your part then put it in another mode.

Sorry for being a little cranky

It's for when you use auto ISO in M mode. The camera seems to always expose a bit under and if you want to ETTR then you have to keep adjusting the ISO yourself. In a environment where you want control over the aperture AND shutter speed but ISO can be whatever (especially nowadays where high ISO noise seems to be negligible) you can use auto ISO to get the correct exposure but I still prefer to overexposed slightly so EC would tell the camera to use a slightly higher ISO than what it normally would.

In reality though I can easily fix this digitally in post but it's nice to get the exposure right in camera.

Such a simple fix for this already guys. shoot in Av but lock you shutter speed to your desired setting in the Menu. Auto ISO works as requested. No need for Auto ISO in Manual mode....Manual means FULLY manual.

But doesn't the 1Dx have the feature he's asking for? If so, there must be a (perceived) need for it.

It does, and I use it frequently.
+1
It is a very important feature to have.

The 7D2 and 5Ds have this feature, so it's fairly safe to assume that the 5D4 will have it too.

I'm really enjoying this feature on my 5DSr. I often shoot in M with auto ISO when shooting wildlife, and frequently the exposure is 1/3 to 2/3 stop too dark. Now, I can dial up EC a few clicks and nail the exposure I'm looking for almost every time.

Upvote 0
bholliman said:
rs said:
Eldar said:
neuroanatomist said:
scyrene said:
AudioGlenn said:
Zv said:
wyldeguy said:
eyeland said:
EC in M mode

I still don't fully understand why people ask for this. You are already in M mode. You have full control of your exposure, just change one part of the triangle and you're good. Back in film days that's what you had to do. And in most cases you didn't change the iso, so it was shutter or aperture or you just lived with a sub-optimal meter reading and then corrected in the darkroom. I mean the M is for manual. If you want the camera to compensate for you not doing your part then put it in another mode.

Sorry for being a little cranky

It's for when you use auto ISO in M mode. The camera seems to always expose a bit under and if you want to ETTR then you have to keep adjusting the ISO yourself. In a environment where you want control over the aperture AND shutter speed but ISO can be whatever (especially nowadays where high ISO noise seems to be negligible) you can use auto ISO to get the correct exposure but I still prefer to overexposed slightly so EC would tell the camera to use a slightly higher ISO than what it normally would.

In reality though I can easily fix this digitally in post but it's nice to get the exposure right in camera.

Such a simple fix for this already guys. shoot in Av but lock you shutter speed to your desired setting in the Menu. Auto ISO works as requested. No need for Auto ISO in Manual mode....Manual means FULLY manual.

But doesn't the 1Dx have the feature he's asking for? If so, there must be a (perceived) need for it.

It does, and I use it frequently.
+1
It is a very important feature to have.

The 7D2 and 5Ds have this feature, so it's fairly safe to assume that the 5D4 will have it too.

I'm really enjoying this feature on my 5DSr. I often shoot in M with auto ISO when shooting wildlife, and frequently the exposure is 1/3 to 2/3 stop too dark. Now, I can dial up EC a few clicks and nail the exposure I'm looking for almost every time.

My mistake. You can only do this with a speedlight attached. Don't get me wrong. I understand the need for the feature, but I figured there was a workaround for current users (at least with a speed light attached). Hopefully that will save at least one of us a headache while waiting for the mkIV to come out.

Upvote 0
LOALTD said:
NO BRAINER:
NO GIMPED CARD SLOTS! This is, by far, the biggest oversight with the Mk III. Do I want to use both card slots or do I want to shoot fast? Choose one. I don't even care if they dump CF, use a new format, or use SDXC for both, just make both of the card slots equally fast.

In order of preference*:
- NO MORE BANDING
- Increased DR
- 1 stop or more increase in high ISO
- 4k video, with H.265 recording option (like it or not, this codec is the future, all Intel processors from here on out will be able to decode it in hardware. Samsung already has this in their cameras)
- RAW 1080p video option (I love Magic Lantern, I just wish the post-processing wasn't so time intensive)
- At least 120fps 1080p
- Dual-pixel AF
- Touch Screen! To better use DPAF!
- articulated LCD: SO MUCH EASIER TO shoot low, much less neck strain when using a tripod!
- Focus peaking
- Exposures longer than 30s without going into obnoxious bulb mode. Just let me program in the exact exposure time myself.
- Built-in intravolometer: Magic Lantern currently has this, so nice to be able to do timelapses without having to bring a stupid $50 cable with me
- WiFi: I love being able to upload a photo using my phone immediately after taking it with Sony cameras
- Ability to "flag" photos in-camera: I know you can star them, I don't care about that. I don't star photos in LR, I flag them.
- more print buttons

Don't care:
- MP: current is fine
- AF: current is fine
- shooting speed: current is fine
- weather seals: current is fine
- battery life: current is phenominal
- viewfinder: see above

*one of these is a trick.

This camra is called Sony A7R2 more or less. You would not get it in the next iteration from Canon.

Upvote 0
Ever think we'll see a 2nd chip in the 5D IV to handle face, colour and shape recognition like the 1DX does?

This body needs a few industry leading features, I don't think the market would be satisfied with another incredibly efficient update that doesn't bring a few "wow!" features to the table. Warranted or not

Upvote 0
I just have two things on my wishlist:

- Wider coverage of the autofocus points. Don't get me wrong, I think the current autofocus system is generally great, it just covers too small an area in the centre of the frame.

- Even better lowlight performance - again, compared to my original 5D, it is a big improvement, but more improvement in this area would be much appreciated - and for which I'd be happy to trade more pixels.

Fingers crossed.

Upvote 0

JMZawodny

1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
Sep 19, 2014
Virginia
Joe.Zawodny.com
I'm still using the 5D Mark II, so with that in mind, I would like to see:

The return of illuminated AF points, and
On sensor digitization for improved DR and High ISO performance.

The other thing I would like to see is one of these in a box on my doorstep with my name on it.

Upvote 0
The Bad Duck said:
A clean Iso 12.5 and 50, as built in ND filter. And you know, more of everything that the 5dmklll has, keep the evolution going.

How about an assymetric shutter.

i.e. 1/100th second at the top of frame and 1/25th second at the bottom.

Achieved with a fast first curtain and a slow second curtain... so built in graduated ND filter too.

Upvote 0
In next 5D series want:

Wifi, GPS, Radio flash control, and please build in an intervalometer.

Native shutter speeds up to 2 minutes.

It's time to kill the dongles, or at least add them all to a single battery grip. If canon needs the income from the ad ons get it from the grip.

Software to allow tethered shooting via wifi to computer and cell phones.

Lit focus points, F8 support out of the gate and more cross type.

Better high iso performance and a higher pixel count unless it harms the higher iso performance. Let's say 28-30Mp.

Oh yeah also try to keep the Diffraction Limited Aperture over ten (don't know if that is possible with higher pixel count).

Upvote 0