What Does Canon Refurbished Mean?

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Lots of folks ask this question, So I've included a direct quotation from the Canon online Store. You can read it and decide what it means to you, the Cameras I've bought always had low actuations, and lenses were excellent with no scratches or marks.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/shopping-buying#rfp

"Refurbished Products

Products are returned to Canon for a variety of reasons, including overstock balancing, miscellaneous returns from retailers, suspected mis-operation, and minor damage to the box.

Products that are refurbished must pass a comprehensive quality assurance inspection before final packaging and shipment. Rigorous function and cosmetic inspections are performed by trained Canon technicians so that each refurbished product meets operational specifications and strict cosmetic standards that we have established. "

nc0b

5DsR
Dec 3, 2013
Colorado
I purchased a 1.4X TC III as a refurbished product from Canon. The box was different from the 2X TC III I later purchased at retail. The cosmetic condition of the two were identical. I think the warranty on the refurb was only 90 days. I have had it for at least two years,with no issues, though I don't use it that often. If I ever get a body that will AF at f/8 I would use it with my 400mm f/5.6 for BIF.

Upvote 0
nc0b said:
I purchased a 1.4X TC III as a refurbished product from Canon. The box was different from the 2X TC III I later purchased at retail. The cosmetic condition of the two were identical. I think the warranty on the refurb was only 90 days. I have had it for at least two years,with no issues, though I don't use it that often. If I ever get a body that will AF at f/8 I would use it with my 400mm f/5.6 for BIF.

The warranty has been increased to one year. They use whatever boxes they have on hand. Their standard is red and white, but I've received stuff in brown boxes that were originally printed for other products. I bought my 6D, my 40mm pancake, and my 24-70 f/4L IS refurbished, along with some powershots as gifts. Not a single problem or blemish with any of them.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
monkey44 said:
Well, it pretty much means exactly what it says ... great products, "fixed like new"

We've ordered several cameras and lenses from the 'Refurb side' - no problems ever with any of those. Going on a few years now - never once shipped anything back.

I had to ship a defective one back early this year. I've ordered several, and that was the first issue. Canon gave me a big run around, but finally arranged for a exchange. Since the price has dropped $20, they gave me the lower price and free shipping, but it was frustrating to deal with them.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
One issue I have with the current price levels is that you can often purchase a new gray market, or even a new USA model for less.

The prices below are the CPW Street Prices for New USA models from a Authorized Canon Dealer. as of right now.

The 24-105mm L is a extreme case. $580 for new from a authorized Canon Dealer versus $799 refurb? As with everything, the buyer must do his research.

The 24-70mm f/4 refurb for 799 while new is $729.

As with everything, the buyer must do his research.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
A few years ago I ordered a 70-200 f/4L (non IS) direct from Canon refurb. Looked like a brand new lens to me. After shipping and taxes, I didn't feel like I saved THAT much money. Ironically, that has been the only lens that failed on me (focus would jam as it approaced MFD). I used it with the focus limiter set to 3m - infinity for a year before I decided to have CPS fix it before reselling (just never used it enough).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...minor damage to the box.

Sort of glad someone revived this thread, because the above references something I've long suspected. Given the volume of some refurbished items that are available, I've often wondered where they come from. I believe it is highly likely that very few are actual returns from retailers and that many more may be new items where the boxes get slightly damaged during overseas shipping.

When Canon used to use a date code on their lenses, I found that the refurbished lenses I bought had always been manufactured just a few months previously. Indicating that it was highly unlikely that they had ever been shipped to a retailer.

Upvote 0
It's even better than that. Sometimes bad boxes, opened boxes, damaged boxes. Sometimes cables are.missing, bad batteries, charger not.working right, etc. Sometimes a camera problem. The good news is that the cameras are.repaired and.rechecked/calibrated so in some cases maybe better than new.

I've bought a.lot of refurbs from Canon and never received anything defective. Tried the same.with HP and I swear they just sell them as refurbished knowing they are defective and let the customer send it back in for repair. Canon does it right and just another one of many reasons I stick with canon.

Upvote 0