What features would you most like to see added to the new 5DS and 5DSR?

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
So the official specs are out. What if anything would you like to see added/changed before the actual production models are released in June?

So far for me:

1. DUAL ISO - This seems so simple a firmware tweak to add in as ML did in their firmware hacks. A 50MP sensor in my mind is begging for this. Something completely customizable whereby you can select up to a 3-4 stop gap. 100 & 400, 400 & 3200, etc.... whatever you like. This would instantly boost the DR several stops on the Canon sensor's final output and largely eliminate the need to HDR bracket and merge shots in post.

2. Exposure Compensation in AUTO ISO - I've read where this is on the 7D2 and 1DX (came as firmware update). Would be nice to see it on this one too although I don't know if it's confirmed or denied that it already is or isn't.

Share you thoughts! Please keep it civil and refrain from the middle finger approach ;D

If we all start emailing/facebooking/calling Canon USA with these sorts of things, maybe they get dialed in before the release. Think about how they make decisions on firmware updates?

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Nitroman said:
Even my phone has gps.

... which would be the reason you don't desperately need it in camera: external taggers save battery powers and dedicated units are more precise. The most important in-camera feature is missing anyway: logging the direction the camera is pointing with an electronic compass.

PureClassA said:
1. DUAL ISO

No way, the workflow is *way* to quirky for a mass production item. Even if they add a simple import into dpp, that still leaves LR, DxO and whatnot unable to deal with the interlaced files directly. Note I do love dual_iso, but there are multiple drawbacks in the ML implementation.

Why not just add +2 stops of real dynamic range to the 5ds, and we're good to go?

Upvote 0
Good point, but comes a bit late...

When it was time to voice wishes, I had a series of them, and all have been implemented in the 5DsR.

However, what I didn't think of at the time, is that Canon would stay way behind Sony and Nikon by producing two distinct cameras that both have a dreaded low pass filter, one being with effect cancelled but being nonetheless there. Why in the world have Canon done that for what is supposed to be their flagship? Those two cameras are already in a dead end, even before they are released. Why not a 5Ds with low pass filter, for wedding photographers who want to shoot JPG, and a 5DsR with NO LOW PASS FILTER, for any serious photographer who wants a CMOS that can do justice to the resolution and is ready to cope with the large files? I am really disappointed, and my gripe is that I waited a year to buy a Sony 36Mp A7R, because of the rumors of this "fantastic" upcoming Canon high Mp camera. By the way, I'm now very happy with the Sony for landscape work. It produces all the detail the 50Mp 5DsR can produce and perhaps more, with much leaner files and at a reasonnable cost.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Re: Good point, but comes a bit late...

tiredofstitching said:
When it was time to voice wishes, I had a series of them, and all have been implemented in the 5DsR.

However, what I didn't think of at the time, is that Canon would stay way behind Sony and Nikon by producing two distinct cameras that both have a dreaded low pass filter, one being with effect cancelled but being nonetheless there. Why in the world have Canon done that for what is supposed to be their flagship? Those two cameras are already in a dead end, even before they are released. Why not a 5Ds with low pass filter, for wedding photographers who want to shoot JPG, and a 5DsR with NO LOW PASS FILTER, for any serious photographer who wants a CMOS that can do justice to the resolution and is ready to cope with the large files? I am really disappointed, and my gripe is that I waited a year to buy a Sony 36Mp A7R, because of the rumors of this "fantastic" upcoming Canon high Mp camera. By the way, I'm now very happy with the Sony for landscape work. It produces all the detail the 50Mp 5DsR can produce and perhaps more, with much leaner files and at a reasonnable cost.

The LPF takes up more space between the sensor and the rear element of any given lens mounted. Removing the filter assembly entirely means the 5DSR would have to be manufactured separately and differently from the 5DS to move the senor a couple millimeters to compensate for focusing distance. Creating two processes obviously raises costs. So instead, Canon replaced one of the neutral layers in the LPF stack with the cancellation layer to keep the internal depths from mount to sensor surface the same. I believe Canon has actually officially said as much during an interview regarding the cameras. Pretty sure I saw/read that someplace not long ago.

Upvote 0

The LPF takes up more space between the sensor and the rear element of any given lens mounted. Removing the filter assembly entirely means the 5DSR would have to be manufactured separately and differently from the 5DS to move the senor a couple millimeters to compensate for focusing distance. Creating two processes obviously raises costs. So instead, Canon replaced one of the neutral layers in the LPF stack with the cancellation layer to keep the internal depths from mount to sensor surface the same. I believe Canon has actually officially said as much during an interview regarding the cameras. Pretty sure I saw/read that someplace not long ago.

True, but Canon should have taken from Nikon's experience with the D800 versus D800E, eventually both replaced with the D810 with no AA filter, that it's not worth building very high Mp cameras with a low-pass filter. It's as non-sense as putting a blur filter in front of the lens and trying to regain a sharp image by means of unsharp masking. No matter what they say, the AA filter with effect cancelled is destructive. Pixel peepers can see for themselves how better the D810/A7R are, and also compare the 50Mp 5DsR with the Pentax 645Z, on the Digital Imaging website. So, just for cheaper production cost, Canon jeopardized their flagship camera and disappointed their customer's expectations. Or maybe they thought that people would buy a 5Ds, move just as fast to a 5DsR like D800 owners did for the D800E, and upgrade a couple of years later to a 5DsR with no AA filter. Good marketing plan, but bad context since we have now the Nikon experience to lean upon.

Upvote 0

tiredofstitching said:
So, just for cheaper production cost, Canon jeopardized their flagship camera and disappointed their customer's expectations.
I don't imagine it's that simple, and this isn't Canon's flagship camera. They may have disappointed some customers, but certainly not all of them.

While I agree that it seems strange to release two bodies after Nikon's history in this area, it's easy to forget that a product like this wasn't developed 6 months ago, or even a year ago. From the first design to the first production run is a very long process for a product this complex, even if it reuses much of the 5DIII. There are technical problems to solve, component sourcing challenges, tooling and manufacturing line changes, training, documentation, regulatory approvals, and the list goes on to bring a product to market. It may have simply been too late to make major changes by the time Nikon released the D810A. It's possible the 5Ds R was never intended to be a product but Canon's hand was forced by the perception that an AA filtered sensor was uncompetitive.

When it comes to the 5Ds/R, it's better to have a choice vs. no choice, but I imagine the next body will likely have no AA filter.

Upvote 0

I don't imagine it's that simple, and this isn't Canon's flagship camera. They may have disappointed some customers, but certainly not all of them.

While I agree that it seems strange to release two bodies after Nikon's history in this area, it's easy to forget that a product like this wasn't developed 6 months ago, or even a year ago. From the first design to the first production run is a very long process for a product this complex, even if it reuses much of the 5DIII. There are technical problems to solve, component sourcing challenges, tooling and manufacturing line changes, training, documentation, regulatory approvals, and the list goes on to bring a product to market. It may have simply been too late to make major changes by the time Nikon released the D810A. It's possible the 5Ds R was never intended to be a product but Canon's hand was forced by the perception that an AA filtered sensor was uncompetitive.

When it comes to the 5Ds/R, it's better to have a choice vs. no choice, but I imagine the next body will likely have no AA filter.

You are absolutely right, thanks for moderating my comments. Canon has brought a tremendous development to digital photography over the years. I remember crying over the colors of my early Nikon D, and jumping up and down when the 1Ds3 came out. And like you say, this is probably a small niche in the Canon industry. Most Canon pro users would probably laugh at this new camera and hold onto their speedy 1D series.

But as someone mentioned, Canon has built this camera because there was a demand from customers. Now, this is my demand for improvement, and if possible before I make a switch… I love my L glass.

And also, there are still three months to wait before the final release of the 5DsR, so even if this would take a miracle, who knows!

Upvote 0
PureClassA said:
So the official specs are out. What if anything would you like to see added/changed before the actual production models are released in June?

Nothing. Looks great!

As far as I know, this is the only DSLR that offers different aspect ratios within the optical viewfinder without having to change the focusing screen. The 5D3 offers them but only in live view. Earlier models could do it with a change of focusing screen. So the 5DS can be used full-time as a square format camera, or a 4:3 format camera, or a 16:9 format camera. I know mirrorless cameras do this easily, but it's cool to have on a DSLR.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
tron said:
tinkertinker said:
I´m very satisfied with its features....
but :)

flashsync 1/1000

native ISO25
+native ISO up to 25600, +1 more fps (just like the 5DIII) :) :) :)
I'd be happy with 1/500s and native ISO 50, given a max of ISO 6400.

Also wrt dual-ISO... I'd like a 16bit dual-ISO sRAW files (about 12MP resolution). This would be excellent for 4K timelapse landscape projects where you don't want to fill cards too quickly but still have plenty of flexibility in post.

I'd like a faster burst rate in the crop modes, but I'm not sure that the new mirror damping mechanism will allow for anything faster.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
1. The thumb lever around the joystick, just like the 7D2.
I was nearly in shock when I saw it didn't have one.

2. Better battery life. I don't know what it is about Canon's most recent bodies but they're giving the batteries a really hard time.
600 shots for a pro body sounds really bad.

If they fixed those two things I would be nearly content enough to pre-order one.
As-is I'm thinking about combining a high resolution crop body with a FF sports body to get the best of both worlds rather than trying to use a 5Ds for everything (which I would have preferred).

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
9VIII said:
1. The thumb lever around the joystick, just like the 7D2.
I was nearly in shock when I saw it didn't have one.

2. Better battery life. I don't know what it is about Canon's most recent bodies but they're giving the batteries a really hard time.
600 shots for a pro body sounds really bad.

If they fixed those two things I would be nearly content enough to pre-order one.
As-is I'm thinking about combining a high resolution crop body with a FF sports body to get the best of both worlds rather than trying to use a 5Ds for everything (which I would have preferred).
P.S. with the Thumb lever, it would be nice if it could cycle forward and backwards.

Upvote 0