What gear besides 5DX/III for weddings, portraits & travel with limited budget?

What gear besides 5DIII/5DX and 24-70 for weddings, portrait &travel with limited budget?

• 5Dc, 24-85, rent 70-200 for weddings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60D, 17-40, rent 70-200 for weddings

• Rent 70-200 for weddings, Panasonic GX1 + 14-42

• No second body, 5DX+24-70 for travel, rent extra 5DX and 70-200 for weddings (keep 350D for a year)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

My problem: I am thinking for a few weeks now what will be my future camera bag content and I don’t know where to head in the future related to purchases. I don’t do photography for a living but I give a high value for good photographs, so I’m limited in budget. So two 1DX cameras is not an option :)

Why do I ask this? It's time to upgrade my 350D, a few babies are getting born in the family and we’re getting on a nice vacation this summer, so I want to severely upgrade my equipment.

What do I have at this moment: 350D, 24-70 f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 580EXII. I already rented the 5DmkII and the 70-200 f2.8 IS II a few times and this is the quality I want for the near future.

What kind of photography do I do: 3-4 weddings during the summer, portraits (babies, kids, families, etc), and I want to take beautiful pictures during my holidays. We especially travel to locations to visit special nature, historic elements, cultural elements, etc. (e.g. temples, waterfalls,…)

So, the purchase of a 5DX/III is 100% sure, I'll buy this one when prices drop a little, end 2012 or spring 2013, my 350D will go to my mother. The question is all about what second body and to keep in mind what camera to use in the coming year, before purchasing the 5DX.

My possible solutions:

Set 1: 5DX+24-70, 5D (buy now), 24-85 (buy now), rent 70-200 for weddings
Result: I’ll have a full frame to use this year already, with a smaller lens (24-85) to take on holiday.

Set 2: 5DX+24-70, 60D (buy now), 17-40 (buy now), rent 70-200 2.8 IS for weddings
Result: large range possibility due to crop and FF combination, somewhat smaller body and short lens for holidays

Set 3: 5DX+24-70, rent 70-200 2.8 IS for weddings, Panasonic GX1 +14-42mm
Result: one DSLR, one small camera for holidays + snapshots and a second small camera for weddings

Set 4: don't buy a second body, only 5DX+24-70, rent 70-200 2.8 IS + second 5DX for weddings
Result: one DSLR and lens = smaller investment, I will always have to keep on renting stuff for weddings, relative high weight for travel (5DX + 24-70)

Everyday my mind changes, so usefull advise, tips, own experiences, etc, everything is welcome to clear up my mind. Also taking costs in mind, e.g. 5Dc with 24-85 might cost only as much as GX1 + 14-42 for example. Thanks a lot for reading and huge thanks you for giving your thoughts!

Edit: I know reading it all and then answering takes some time, therefore I added a small poll, I'd be really thankful for answering this.

Dennis

P

Picsfor

Re: What gear next to new 5DX/III for weddings, portraits and travel?

OK, i'm thinking the 5D3/X is your best choice here ;)

So, how about this for a side ways swing...
If the 5D3/X comes with the new 24-70 as a kit lens, why not buy them as a kit, and flog the current 24-70. I'd guess you wouldn't be much out of pocket and also get the latest quality of wide angle.

If you're doing weddings - how can you possibly go with a single body? I've said it before and i'll say it again - it takes a brave person to tell a bride that there are no pics of her special day because you gambled on everything going exactly right. How do yo fancy being on the BBC news or in the Daily Mail as the next example of a 'wedding tog' being sued?

So, with that in mind, i'd say get yourself a nice 5Dc as a back up (get it now if you want to start playing).
I would also suggest getting a second flash to cover redundancy there. Your 50mm f1.8 will make a good back up if the 24-70 goes adrift.

Now, that long lens - what is the cost of renting several times a year as opposed to buying?

If you are getting paid for these weddings then you can list this as a part time profession and a bit of careful accounting could offset the purchase against the income... That would also apply to any purchase you make )in the UK.

Upvote 0

Picsfor said:
OK, i'm thinking the 5D3/X is your best choice here ;)

So, how about this for a side ways swing...
If the 5D3/X comes with the new 24-70 as a kit lens, why not buy them as a kit, and flog the current 24-70. I'd guess you wouldn't be much out of pocket and also get the latest quality of wide angle.

If you're doing weddings - how can you possibly go with a single body? I've said it before and i'll say it again - it takes a brave person to tell a bride that there are no pics of her special day because you gambled on everything going exactly right. How do yo fancy being on the BBC news or in the Daily Mail as the next example of a 'wedding tog' being sued?

So, with that in mind, i'd say get yourself a nice 5Dc as a back up (get it now if you want to start playing).
I would also suggest getting a second flash to cover redundancy there. Your 50mm f1.8 will make a good back up if the 24-70 goes adrift.

Now, that long lens - what is the cost of renting several times a year as opposed to buying?

If you are getting paid for these weddings then you can list this as a part time profession and a bit of careful accounting could offset the purchase against the income... That would also apply to any purchase you make )in the UK.

Good idea in fact of bying the 5DX in a kit with the new 24-70, the price at that time of the kit will then decide which one I'll be doing.

Of course, when I'm at a wedding I always take 2 bodies with me. I will keep on taking the 350D with me as back-up, as well as the second body mentioned in all sets above.

The cost of the long lens is exactly 1/100th of the purchase price (good renting service here)... so for me it's worth renting it a few times... because it does cost a lot! And I really like the IS II version, which I rented a few times, I guess buying the non IS version I'll be a bit disappointed....

Anyway, thanks for your good input! 1 vote already for set 1 :)

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com

I would consider two fixed lenses for you, since portraits are something you mention also.. 135 F2.0L and 85 F1.8, both are excellent portrait lenses and of great use in a wedding and for other portraits. They are relatively cheap, and you can get them even cheaper if you buy used. A combo for cameras would be 5D mk II or III when it emerges, and a 7D for a crop body with great speed and sensor.

Upvote 0

briansquibb said:
I think you would get away with

- used 5D2
- used 5Dc
- used 24-105
- used 17-40

Unfortunately, I really like the shallow DOF of the 2.8 lenses. So the 24-70 remains, which makes I need a tele as well (I'd rent this the first years).

Ps: added a poll

Upvote 0
my advice is buy the sigma 85 f1.4 and dont worry about the 70-200 at all for weddings
yes the 70-200 is a fantastic lens.

to shoot a wedding I would be happy with only the following gear
1D APS-H sensor with 16-35f2.8
used 1Dmk3 say $1800 + 16-35 say $1400
5dmk2 with sigma 85 f1.4
5dmk2 $2000 ish, sigma $900
2 x 580ex2 flashes
2 x yongnuo external battery packs
the 2 flashes and battery packs about $1000 for all

since you have the 24-70 f2.8 probably keep that on FF
and pick up another FF body for the sigma 85 used 5Dmk2 maybe

Upvote 0