What happens if Canon and Nikon enter FF mirrorless in different price points?

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Don Haines said:
melgross said:
ahsanford said:
What happens if Nikon enters the market on one end of FF and Canon enters on the opposite, i.e. a pricey mirrorless D850 comes out around the same time as a modest mirrorless 6D2, or the D610 line is refreshed as a $1999 mirrorless setup while Canon puts out some $4k 5DS2 flavored mirrorless rig?

Curious to see (if Canon and Nikon don't enter the market with multiple price points right away) if people freak out that the first offering is all they are going to get and it wasn't the price point / feature set that they've wanted.

Would either company publicly reassure folks that 'this is just the first body and others are coming' or will they button their lips to get folks to focus their wallets on what is currently being released?

- A

If there’s one thing I would imagine to be true, it would be that both Canon and Nikon are doing their best to figure out what the other is planning. It would sure be interesting if what you mention would be true though.

Given that it takes 3-5 years to produce a camera, with what is at stake and considering the probable levels of industrial espionage, I would be very surprised if Canon and Nikon did not have a detailed knowledge of what the other is doing....

Attachments

• Arthur_slugworth.jpg
    Arthur_slugworth.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 201
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Mikehit said:
...and it will always be Canon's fault or Canon's incompetence that they are the best selling marque.

If they don’t watch their backs, they might lose that distinction to the competition.
This one doesn’t even come with a battery. Nerf nerfed Nerf!

Attachments

• 750EA40F-CA44-4BE3-9F8B-E4E2D2DFD920.jpeg
    750EA40F-CA44-4BE3-9F8B-E4E2D2DFD920.jpeg
    206 KB · Views: 68
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
I'd see it other way round:

* in mid-018 Canon is still not where Sony already was in 2012
* it took Canon 5 generations of EOS M cameras [M, M2, M3, M5/6, M50] to finally get Face+Eye Detect AF functionality implemented.
* Even for EOS M50 it is doubtful, whether AF performance is fully on par with Sony A6500 or nor.
* over-hyped Canon DP-AF does not necessarily translate into superior [stills capture] AF performance. Not for one-shot and even less for Servo-AF/tracking
* etc. etc.

No reason whatsoever for CanonFanBois to try and ridicule Sony. If I were one of them, I'd quietly "pray and hope" that Canon will be able to bring at least some halfway-decent FF MILCs some day soon. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
fullstop said:
I'd see it other way round:

* in mid-018 Canon is still not where Sony already was in 2012
* it took Canon 5 generations of EOS M cameras [M, M2, M3, M5/6, M50] to finally get Face+Eye Detect AF functionality implemented.
* Even for EOS M50 it is doubtful, whether AF performance is fully on par with Sony A6500 or nor.
* over-hyped Canon DP-AF does not necessarily translate into superior [stills capture] AF performance. Not for one-shot and even less for Servo-AF/tracking
* etc. etc.

No reason whatsoever for CanonFanBois to try and ridicule Sony. If I were one ogf them, I'd quietly "pray and hope" that Canon will be able to bring at least some halfway-decent FF MILCs some day soon. :)

Can you explain who is 'ridiculing Sony'.
The things you claim about Sony are just not important to me. Interesting yes. Would I complain if Canon had them? No. About the only thing I see about mirrorless that I would find a real advantage is the no-blackout in shooting moving subjects but that is new even for Sony so not something that will have me jumping ship.
But important enough to move to Sony? Nope. And don't get me wrong, I could afford to if I wanted to, I just don't see enough advantage.

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
it is. meet the new Nikon Z-Mount. :)

Nikon-Z-mirrorles-camera-leaked-picture.jpg

It is a medium-small body. No unnecessary flesh on left side = perfect for right-hand, right-eye shooters like myself *and millions of other potential customers* :)

Upvote 0