What happens to Big Whites when Mirrorless Takes Over?

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
What happens to Big Whites when Mirrorless Takes Over?

Everyone's going to look like a phone digiscoper:

phone-scoping.jpg

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
YuengLinger said:
pokerz said:
STM designed for on-sensor AF (Mirrorless) while USM designed for off-sensor AF (DSLR)
So prepare to upgrade your white lens to STM version in near future for the best performance.

Exactly what I'm concerned about.

Who else has thoughts about this?

I don't think the USM or STM lens motor has anything to do either reading or processing AF information, be it on sensor or off sensor. That is done in the camera and the lens motor doesn't have anything to do with it. All the lens motor does is adjust the lens in response to signals sent by the camera. So, I don't see how or why a lens motor would respond differently depending on whether the AF is off sensor (phase detect) AF on on sensor (contrast detection).

Upvote 0

mnclayshooter

I love shooting - clay pigeons and photos!
Oct 28, 2013
Minnesota, USA
Upvote 0
Keith_Reeder said:
Yep, I don't see the connection either...

I said it on some other thread here a couple of weeks ago - I swear we could watch it happen over the last few years.

1) STM is launched and described as "great for video"
2) DPAF is launched and described as "great for video"
3) DPAF cameras are bundled with STM lenses with much ballyhooing over video
4) people assume that DPAF and STM must go together and USM doesn't work as well with DPAF

That last bit was never stated, but is a tempting conclusion, and once people starting saying it, it became entrenched as an assumption that low-information people accepted without question.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
pokerz said:
kphoto99 said:
YuengLinger said:
If I had experience with adapters, I might have less concern, but Big Whites and (many) other L's are bought not only for image quality, but AF performance too.

If Canon changes the flange distance for the FF mirrorless then the adapter will be like the one for EF-M to EF. This adapter just connects the lens contacts to the contacts on the camera. It does not affect the lens AF. The only things that affects the AF of a big white is the amount of power the camera body can supply to the big lens.
STM designed for on-sensor AF (Mirrorless) while USM designed for off-sensor AF (DSLR)
So prepare to upgrade your white lens to STM version in near future for the best performance.

not true at all.

STM was better for Hybrid AF sensors that used PDAF points and CDAF to focus. CDAF required STM for relatively smooth focus because it would focus in short iterative steps.

with DPAF sensors they are phase detect only, which means that it really doesn't matter anymore. which is why any modern lens focuses just fine in liveview mode on a 5DIV, 1DX II, M5,etc.

with further maturing of DPAF sensors and the related DIGIC's to drive them, STM simply just becomes a cost saving approach. but with linear USM now, it could be that STM gets phased out all together.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
scrup said:
Maybe it be go on sale so normal folks can afford the set.

"Normal folks" don't buy Great Whites even if they have a lot of money. Only complete, kookoo bananas, obsessive-compulsive, all-in photographers willing to spend hours chasing a few great shots while dragging around tons of gear through tick infested wilds...

In other words, shutter bugs on steroids.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Digiscoping is about using a phone (or originally, a P&S) on the back of a telescope, not a camera lens.

It was a very limited, cobbled-together way of getting more focal length onto a bird, before DSLRs and longer lenses started to become ubiquitous - no metering, no meaningful shutter-speed control, no AF, but it was enough to give the user at least a chance of an image that wouldn't be achievable with a P&S alone.

Digibinning is a similar idea, but putting the phone or camera behind the eyepiece of a pair of binoculars.

Upvote 0
Keith_Reeder said:
Digiscoping is about using a phone (or originally, a P&S) on the back of a telescope, not a camera lens.

It was a very limited, cobbled-together way of getting more focal length onto a bird, before DSLRs and longer lenses started to become ubiquitous - no metering, no meaningful shutter-speed control, no AF, but it was enough to give the user at least a chance of an image that wouldn't be achievable with a P&S alone.

Digibinning is a similar idea, but putting the phone or camera behind the eyepiece of a pair of binoculars.
OK - thought it was a lens!

Upvote 0