What has become of the long-rumored Canon 50mm IS?

I am extremely tempted to just pull the trigger on the new Sigma, but, I'm finding myself doing more and more hand-held video where external stabilization is just not practical. (see, here: http://vimeo.com/m/92210589)

I have the 28mm f/2.8 IS and it's probably my favorite lens right now.

I like the 50mm focal length even better, I was hoping the release of the Sigma would prompt Canon to at least announce something but...all I hear are crickets!

Mar 25, 2011
A lot of people are wondering what all those employees a Canon have been doing. Perhaps they have too many high paid managers and bookkeepers that block everything. Big corporations tend to have issues like that, and it takes a changing of the guard to overcome stagnation.

However, for a corporation, the bottom line is the important thing, and Canon is doing much better than the competition who are spending a lot of money releasing new cameras that sell in very small quantities to a limited number of people, and make no or little profit. Canon's bread and butter is mass production at low prices, and they stick to what works.

Upvote 0