What is an "Open Box"?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
This afternoon, I bought an "open box return" body from a highly reputable departmental store. It came with a 35-day return policy and the full 2-year manufacturers guarantee, so I felt comfortable. Of course, the first thing I did on getting home was to check the shutter count - 8900! Looks like someone bought it and used it for a holiday before returning it as unwanted. To me, 8900 is a used item, which I could buy far more cheaply, and it's being returned tomorrow. So, what is reasonable for open box?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Not saying I'm "right", but to me, 'open-box' means the product has been taken out of its box, probably packaging opened/removed (and probably not replaced if sealed plastic etc), but the product itself is essentially unused - and 8,900 actuations doesn't sound 'unused' at all!
Bad luck with the 'bargain' Alan.
It was returned this morning.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Open Box is pretty much defined by the seller. Could be a floor sample, could be a return that appears unused to the retailer, could be a bunch of items that were opened for an in-store demonstration.

A few years ago a reputable NY based camera shop was using "Open Box" to get around MAP Pricing. I bought a Fuji compact from them and it was clearly unused and still in all the original packaging. They were selling dozens this way and I suspect the only thing that was "open box" about them was they might have had somebody opening and closing the boxes before selling them.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
I've had pretty good luck with "open box" items over the years. As long as there is a warranty and a reasonable return option, I'd have no qualms buying an "open box"item again, if the price was right. Feel the same way about refurbished items although in some ways, a refurb might be even better because a it was checked and repaired or adjusted as needed.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0