What is going on with Canon's prices in Europe?

Okay, let's break this down.

AlanF said:
That argument doesn't hold water.
AlanF said:
That argument
AlanF said:

It's not an 'argument', it's reporting the supplied information. There is no 'argument' being made.

There, job done. Do you see how easy that was?

edit:
Oh, and
AlanF said:
Accusing others of lacking "reading comprehension" seems to be your stock insult.
It's not an insult, it's an observation. The fact that you are so quick to see "arguments" and "insults" everywhere suggests you are purposefully looking to be as combative as possible, just for the sake of it. Again, reading comprehension is your friend. I am not responsible for you or others choosing to forgo it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
aceflibble said:
It's not an 'argument', it's reporting the supplied information. There is no 'argument' being made.

ar·gu·ment ˈärɡyəmənt noun
1. an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.
2. a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.

Statements like, “According to...,” and, “It’s mostly a case of...,” and, “This is similar to...,” and, “Basically, like with everything else...,” are clearly commensurate with you making an argument as covered by definition #2 above.

Making an argument should not be confused with being argumentative, although in this case, both clearly apply to you.

If the above is too challenging for your reading comprehension level, I’ll simplify: you’re being an ass.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2016
Hi neuro,

now you entered this thread, :)
what is your idea on the extreme and selective price increases on some Canon gear in Holland?

What I find peculiar is that:
-the price increase is quite high - 20 % or even a bit higher;
-it applies to specific Canon camera's (the 80D and 7D Mk II) and others are not or hardly affected (some lenses are also affected, but again: not all);
-these price increases has been in Holland only (at least until yesterday).

I cannot see any common characteristic on the equipment that is involved: it are not the most recent models, it is not restricted to e.g. cropped gear (e.g. the EF 100-400 II also increased tremendously in price).

Upvote 0
haggie said:
what is your idea on the extreme and selective price increases on some Canon gear in Holland?

The prices have been increased in Slovakia as well. 7D mark II and 80D are +/- for the same price like you mentioned. 6D mark II has gone 80 euros up and 5DS and 5DS R maybe 200 euros.

I was just about to buy 6D mark II at the end of March :-/

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
haggie said:

No idea. As was pointed out in another thread, manufacturers will sometimes raise prices prior to offering a discount (the discount bringing the price to the previous regular price). Some countries prohibit such practices (I have no idea if Holland is among them), so to get around that manufacturers will adjust prices with enough of a delay prior to the discount to avoid the regulation.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
aceflibble said:

ar·gu·ment ˈärɡyəmənt noun
1. an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.
2. a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.

Statements like, “According to...,” and, “It’s mostly a case of...,” and, “This is similar to...,” and, “Basically, like with everything else...,” are clearly commensurate with you making an argument as covered by definition #2 above.

Making an argument should not be confused with being argumentative, although in this case, both clearly apply to you.

If the above is too challenging for your reading comprehension level, I’ll simplify: you’re being an ass.
this is an international site.... for many, English is not their first language so a lot of the nuances are lost on them... on the other hand, a lot of the nuances are lost on native speakers. Your explanation is great, but the last line was not needed... come on, you are better than that....

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
haggie said:

No idea. As was pointed out in another thread, manufacturers will sometimes raise prices prior to offering a discount (the discount bringing the price to the previous regular price). Some countries prohibit such practices (I have no idea if Holland is among them), so to get around that manufacturers will adjust prices with enough of a delay prior to the discount to avoid the regulation.

Good point!
It might be a prelude of a birders "special discount" coming soon, as the affected items seem to be crop bodies and longer lenses

Upvote 0