What is happening here ?

Dholai

EOS T7i
Feb 5, 2014
Please look at the image shot with a Canon 11-24 and a Lee Big stopper (10 stop ND) at around 12 mm.
What are all these? Present at all apertures (4-22), worse with smaller.
Thanks

Attachments

zim

EOR R
Oct 18, 2011
Looks like a bunch of reflections through a window.

Assuming it's not taken through a window can a filter be mounted too far in front of the lens so it catches reflections?

Halfrack

EOS 7D MK II
Sep 14, 2011
Light leak behind the Lee kit. Shoot a photo of the setup - chances are if you covered the lens & filter assembly you'd see them go away. I take it there isn't a leak at 11mm or at 14mm? I wonder if it's leaking in via the DoF scale window. With a 10 stop, jack your iso up higher, and see if it shows up during a shorter exposure at f4.

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Had it myself before realising what causes it.

Halftrack has the answer, it's a reflection of the front part of your Lens, caused by light leaking through behind your Lee Filter set up and reflecting off the back of the Lee Filter.

Dholai

EOS T7i
Feb 5, 2014
Thanks everybody.
I think I understand what is happening from the input of all of you.
Next question- what is the solution? wrap a black cloth around the filter attachment to prevent light leak ? That would be very inconvenient

emI58- how did you solve it?

Thanks again

Dholai

EOS T7i
Feb 5, 2014
I just wrapped a black cloth around the filter and holder and shot . The problem was gone! So , it was light leak and reflection of the front element from the ND filter.
Any practical solution ?

Thanks

Mikehit

EOS 5D MK IV
Jul 28, 2015
I thought the big stopper came with foam(?) gaskets that would make it light proof?

sunnyVan

EOS 7D MK II
Apr 12, 2013
NYC
This is why after experimenting with the Lee system, I decided to go with screw-on type instead. But I do miss the Lee grad ND filters.

Dholai said:
I just wrapped a black cloth around the filter and holder and shot . The problem was gone! So , it was light leak and reflection of the front element from the ND filter.
Any practical solution ?

Thanks

sunnyVan

EOS 7D MK II
Apr 12, 2013
NYC
Never mind 11-24L which I can never afford. My 82mm screw-on ND won't fit on the rokinon 14mm.

neuroanatomist said:
sunnyVan said:
This is why after experimenting with the Lee system, I decided to go with screw-on type instead.
How'd that work out for your 11-24L? :p

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
Dholai said:
Any practical solution ?
Cut off the top part of a black sock?
its either that or black painters tape...

Nice call on the black tube sock; sounds simple and effective ...

Dholai

EOS T7i
Feb 5, 2014
Thanks everybody

Mikehit, it has a foam gasket but obviously it does not work. :(

Neuro, will try to do that- not very convenient though :'(

BTW, the Cokin P filter holder for 100 mm NDs that I use for my all other lenses except 17 T/S and the Otus 85/28 works fine. Never had any such issues.

Does Lee, by any chance, has a solution? Do they even know about this issue?

Mikehit

EOS 5D MK IV
Jul 28, 2015
Dholai said:
Does Lee, by any chance, has a solution? Do they even know about this issue?
Googling 'Lee filters light leak', threw up this on their website.

https://leefilters.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/147876-faulty-big-or-little-stopper-red-lines-flare

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
Covering the viewfinder either with your eye or the cover can be part of the issue, but you have found the main part of the problem.

If you are following all of the best practice suggestions from Lee, take a photo of your setup and send it to them along with the image you posted.

Dholai

EOS T7i
Feb 5, 2014
Thanks all. again.

I found the solution. I think placing the filter in the proximal slot solves the problem. I placed it in the distal one ( just beginning to use it) !

Then I saw the link Mikehit gave from the Lee website. They are exactly right.

BTW, I did cover my viewfinder ( knew that much ) ;D

Thanks everybody

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
Dholai said:
Thanks all. again.

I found the solution. I think placing the filter in the proximal slot solves the problem. I placed it in the distal one ( just beginning to use it) !

Then I saw the link Mikehit gave from the Lee website. They are exactly right.

BTW, I did cover my viewfinder ( knew that much ) ;D

Thanks everybody
Excellent discussion and learning +1